Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pls Help, brake lights and turn signals stopped working
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JimSar
My speedo cable snapped early last week, but I was able to get a quick replacement from Autohaus AZ at a great price. So, last weekend I put this forum's search feature to work, and read up on old speedo discussion topics.

The hardest past of the job was removing and reinstalling the center console. As you can see in the photo, there are 3 gauges and a battery pack tracker with RS232 serial cable. (It's an electric conversion). By the time I got to put the center console back, my patience was running low, and I was a bit rough on the wiring overall.

Speedo works fine now, but I noticed on the way to work that my brake lights and turn signals have stopped working. Hazard blinkers work fine, though, as so does the 3rd brake light, flashing when the hazard switch is pulled.

I need to work on this tonight, any troubleshooting help will be greatly appreciated.

IPB Image
tdgray
I assume you checked all the fuses, bulbs etc?

If not do so... is it possible that you knocked a ground loose whilst taking the console out.

Check the simple things first and then check back in.
2-OH!
Take a multimeter and check voltage at the rear lights...Do ya have power ???
Check grounds to make certain they are solid and you have grounding...

Check fuses to make sure you didn't short one out...

Haynes manual has a good wiring diagram (difficult but good)...Check all wiring runs for continuity...

Probable cause: you shorted/broke/damaged/disconnected wires under the dash or in the center console (main harness is located there) when you took it out...

No easy answer, just track and trace each wire till you find it...

2-OH!

IronHillRestorations
You may have accidentally unplugged the multi-pin connector at the base of the steering column.
JimSar
QUOTE(9146986 @ Jul 29 2008, 01:18 PM) *

You may have accidentally unplugged the multi-pin connector at the base of the steering column.

. . . and blew a fuse in the process. Works OK now, been driving around town doing errands this morning, apparently no shorted circuits, fuse is holding out fine. Thanks, everyone.

-jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.