Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Diagnoses needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
G e o r g e
OK

I have head temp sensors on # 1 and 3 on a type 4

# 1 gives me readings at 180 after idle warm up 4- 5 min

# 3 gives me 260

after a short ( 1/4 mile ) drive # 1 is the same, but # 3 is climbing towards 350

what can cause this?

is this a tuning issue?

can this be a timing issue?

can this be a assembly issue?

the factory sensor tells my fuel injection the the temps are as high as the gauge reads

I'm just looking for all of the possibilities so I can start to run thru them
orange914
QUOTE(George H. @ Jul 28 2008, 06:13 PM) *

OK

# 3 gives me 260

after a short ( 1/4 mile ) drive # 1 is the same, but # 3 is climbing towards 350

what can cause this?

is this a tuning issue?

can this be a timing issue?

can this be a assembly issue?

the factory sensor tells my fuel injection the the temps are as high as the gauge reads

I'm just looking for all of the possibilities so I can start to run thru them

since the temps. are so different i think i would first switch the wiring to from gauge #1 to #3 and visa versa. that way you can confirm possible false reading.

mike
roadster fan
The experts will certainly chime in here, but the #3 cylinder is gonna be the hottest because it is the farthest from the cool air source and it's air (along with #4's) are on the side of the engine with the oil cooler.

If one CHT is used it is place under the #3 sparkplug for this reason. The #3 valve seat is usually the one to fail due to the extra heat there.

FWIW, I may be completely off base but that is my understanding.

Jim
Gint
agree.gif #3 runs the hottest anyway. But I'm no expert. Just a cheap icon_bump.gif and a note to George. How's that bumper coming? happy11.gif
ericread
QUOTE(orange914 @ Jul 28 2008, 07:58 PM) *

QUOTE(George H. @ Jul 28 2008, 06:13 PM) *

OK

# 3 gives me 260

since the temps. are so different i think i would first switch the wiring to from gauge #1 to #3 and visa versa. that way you can confirm possible false reading.

mike

agree.gif

Although Cylinder 3 is expected to be the hottest, it shouldn't be hotter by 90 degrees. Check the measuring tool first, then re-post your results.

Eric Read
tornik550
Valve Lash Issue?
benalishhero
pull a plug. could be lean.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.