Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anti-sieze
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot Cannon
What's best for axle slpines? Grease or anti-sieze?
PeeGreen 914
Generally nothing. If you put anything it should just be grease. Anti sieze is only for nuts and bolts that won't see high heat. It turns into glue and does the opposite of what it is supposed to do.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 28 2008, 09:29 PM) *

So here's an alternate opinion...

Moly disulphide antisieze is already basically a dry lubricant. I've use that on lots of ur-GTI axles and when I was autocrossing I was replacing front bearings every couple of events. LubroMoly also makes a hi-temp copper-based antisize I'd have no heartburn using.

Use a synthetic grease or Swepco 101 if you're using grease, IMO...
HAM Inc
Moly based anti-sieze. That application begs for it! I use it on the axle nut when torqueing too.
6freak
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 28 2008, 06:29 PM) *

Clean!!! and then grease! ..Lubemaster heavy duty NLGI#2..It contains moly.prevents corrosion good for heavy loads and pressure has a wide temp range 0-400d f and is water resistant....its moveing parts they need some kind of lube or they will just turn to black metal dust ........And remember certain grease`s are NOT compatable..This one is NOT GOOD with clay or bentonite grease`s......Like we say in the Crane world lube it or loose it...J.M.O hope this helps
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(6freak @ Jul 29 2008, 12:00 PM) *

...its moving parts they need some kind of lube...

hub splines are only moving parts when you R&R the hubs. You do need something to make sure you prevent corrosion and galling.
6freak
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jul 29 2008, 09:18 AM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Jul 29 2008, 12:00 PM) *

...its moving parts they need some kind of lube...

hub splines are only moving parts when you R&R the hubs. You do need something to make sure you prevent corrosion and galling.

O they move you just dont think so! there not an interferance fit so there is slope there and if you dont lube them you will have lots of slope...... thats not what you want ....Again JMO
jd74914
Slope? I'm confused on what you are trying to say.

The point of splines is to not move.
6freak
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Jul 29 2008, 11:28 AM) *

Slope? I'm confused on what you are trying to say.

The point of splines is to not move.

My bad Slop! you are correct .But they do just enough to cause wear.this is not an interference fit so there is some play in it or slop if you will.Hence forth and there for you need lube...Jmo once again .i just know i would use something there and would not run them dry...you wouldnt run gears dry would you and thats all they are ...Hope that helps smile.gif
r_towle
I would suggest that after you clean it you apply a fresh coat of pepperoni pizza drippings directly to the spline.

The protein enriched pepperoni juice will guarantee that is never siezes up on you.

Rich
6freak
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 29 2008, 12:57 PM) *

I would suggest that after you clean it you apply a fresh coat of pepperoni pizza drippings directly to the spline.

The protein enriched pepperoni juice will guarantee that is never siezes up on you.

Rich

well i guess the pro`s will chime in and they can set use all strait ..i just know i would not put it back togather without some kind of grease in there smile.gif
dbgriffith75
i just know i would not put it back togather without some kind of grease in there

agree.gif Whether it's intended to be a moving part or not, when there's steel against steel... or I guess I should say metal against metal... there should be some type of lubrication. To prevent siezing if nothing else.

In this case, as 6freak pointed out, there is just a small amount of slop in the splines. So clean it & grease it- besides, it will aid in the future if you ever need to remove the axle again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.