Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help with tie rod end boot
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type47
it seems a waste to replace the tie rod ends just because the boots are torn so in a search, i found this company

http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/tie_r.html

that sells the boots. now i need which one to buy. has anyone had experience with which one fits a 914 or does anyone have a tie rod end off the car that could measure the dimensions A and B in the diagram?

TIA
6freak
QUOTE(type47 @ Jul 29 2008, 08:23 AM) *

it seems a waste to replace the tie rod ends just because the boots are torn so in a search, i found this company

http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/tie_r.html

that sells the boots. now i need which one to buy. has anyone had experience with which one fits a 914 or does anyone have a tie rod end off the car that could measure the dimensions A and B in the diagram?

TIA

I have stock tie rods if you want them?i put turbo 930`s in the stockers had around 50k miles on them and they seemed ok i just wanted better feel in the wheel //lmk
PeeGreen 914
He wants the boots Mike... just the boots.
6freak
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jul 29 2008, 10:39 AM) *

He wants the boots Mike... just the boots.

.Ive not seen them in a long time do the boots pop right off ....Just try`n to help the guy out with options
type47
QUOTE(6freak @ Jul 29 2008, 11:31 AM) *

.Ive not seen them in a long time do the boots pop right off ....Just try`n to help the guy out with options

yes, the boots just pop off the tie rod end. the boots are held on the tie rod by wire "springs" (solid wire in a circle that fits around the rubber boot). i had to replace the steering rack boots?bellows and the tie rod boots were cracked and using the "pickle fork" to separate the tie rod from the ...... thing on the shock/strut piece.... did a little more damage. i bought boots from the same company but they ended up being ball joint boots, not tie rod end boots. the car is down now for another problem so i can disassemble the tie rod again and measure. i was hoping someone had one on their bench already.
6freak
QUOTE(type47 @ Jul 29 2008, 03:35 PM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Jul 29 2008, 11:31 AM) *

yes, the boots just pop off the tie rod end. the boots are held on the tie rod by wire "springs" (solid wire in a circle that fits around the rubber boot). i had to replace the steering rack boots?bellows and the tie rod boots were cracked and using the "pickle fork" to separate the tie rod from the ...... thing on the shock/strut piece.... did a little more damage. i bought boots from the same company but they ended up being ball joint boots, not tie rod end boots. the car is down now for another problem so i can disassemble the tie rod again and measure. i was hoping someone had one on their bench already.

pm sent
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.