Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Orange Boge strut inserts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gint
I've had a slight knocking in my left front suspension for a few weeks and so I haven't been driving the car because it's been to friggin hot to work on it. I'm working from home today so I played hookey for 15 minutes (I mean, uh.. I took a quick break) this morning before the heat sets in and pulled the strut out. As I expected, the strut collar nut was loose. I thought the thing had Bilsteins on the front, but this insert is definitely stamped BOGE and it's orange. I didn't get a picture because, well it's orange and it looks like a BOGE strut insert and it's stamped with "B O G E". rolleyes.gif

Anybody seen a set of orange Boge strut inserts before? Are they special somehow? Sports or some such nomenclature perhaps?
davep
Does it have a part #?
Eric_Shea
Very common.
Gint
QUOTE(davep @ Jul 29 2008, 01:49 PM) *

Does it have a part #?

I didn't get a number. I'm sure it does, but it was covered in oil, I didn't pull it all the way out, and it's since been re-installed. I don't think I'll pull it back out right away. I'm just happy to be able to drive it again.

It was more of a curiosity question. E says it's common, but I personally have never pulled an orange Boge strut. confused24.gif
Eric_Shea
Almost all of the Boge's I've pulled recently have been orange. It may be a newer thing but, most Boge inserts are orange.

Maybe Nate can take a picture of the one I just sent him?
Gint
If you say so I believe ya. More than anything else I'm just happy to be driving.gif the thing again. Even if it is 100 degrees out.
ArtechnikA
The "Turbo-TS" Boge's I put in my '72 were orange.
A gas-charged damper, I believe.
Eric_Shea
These were just regular hydraulics. They stayed where ya put'em.

Good excuse to mention how much I like Boge's though. These poor shocks never get the attention deserved between all the KYB bashing and the Bilstein/Koni praise. They're great shocks.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 29 2008, 08:44 PM) *

These were just regular hydraulics. They stayed where ya put'em.
They're great shocks.

The "Turbo-TS" dampers (from the early 80's, when EVERYTHING was 'Turbo-Something') weren't 'very' gas-charged. Certainly I never recall having them self-extend like a Bilstein will.

I always like the Boges I ran (except the smelly OEM non-insert struts on the /6's which were long-dead before I ever got to them...). The only real rap on Boge is that they never seem to have the service life of a Bilstein or a Koni. The Koni's were adjustable, and the Bilsteins didn't need to be.

And KYB - well, I donno. I think they should just have never pretended they had a 914 application. They're OEM on the Subie and were still in good shape when I replaced them with a sportier valving and lowered springs at about 165,000 mi. I like them on the Subie - but it's a 3000-lb vehicle. Good match. -Not- a good match for a 2000-lb car tho.
914Sixer
Good shocks that were available in the late 80's to early 90's. They were the premium shock at that time. I do not think they were gas. Boge shocks have also been know to come in grey, black and occassionaly blue. Who knows how many different kinds they made under replacemnt part names and the colors.
Rav914
This is the Boge I just bought from E.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.