Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much to torque rear suspension nuts up to?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moggy
Need to know what the torque settings are for the nuts/bolts (whatever they are) that hold the rear trailing arm onto the chassis. The ones on the inside ear have come loose on last rally.

Cheers

Moggy
roadster fan
Clymer and Haynes manuals both say 50 ft/lbs for the nut on the inside ear and 108/ft lbs for the nut to the outside bracket.

Have you recently installed new bushings in the trailing arms. Often times the bushings need to be dressed down so they don't sit "proud" of the threaded shaft. If they do sit high, the rubber is running on the ear instead of the shaft and the nut will loosen.

Had the same problem on the driver's side of my 71 when I got it. Kept retightening after about 200 miles. Finally dropped the arms and noticed the ear had been polished by the bushing. Took a dremel to the top of the bushing till it was just below the flat on the threaded shaft.

2500 miles (most of it flat towed to WCR2008) but no more loosening.

Hope this helps,

Jim
Richard Casto
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Jul 29 2008, 04:26 PM) *
Often times the bushings need to be dressed down so they don't sit "proud" of the threaded shaft. If they do sit high, the rubber is running on the ear instead of the shaft and the nut will loosen.

Had the same problem on the driver's side of my 71 when I got it. Kept retightening after about 200 miles. Finally dropped the arms and noticed the ear had been polished by the bushing. Took a dremel to the top of the bushing till it was just below the flat on the threaded shaft.

Nice tip!
moggy
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Jul 29 2008, 12:26 PM) *

Clymer and Haynes manuals both say 50 ft/lbs for the nut on the inside ear and 108/ft lbs for the nut to the outside bracket.

Have you recently installed new bushings in the trailing arms. Often times the bushings need to be dressed down so they don't sit "proud" of the threaded shaft. If they do sit high, the rubber is running on the ear instead of the shaft and the nut will loosen.

2500 miles (most of it flat towed to WCR2008) but no more loosening.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Thanks Jim that was just what I was after. Torqued 'em back up tonight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.