Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shake'n in Socal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
G e o r g e
A 5.8 in chino hills

JB 914
yep, lost a few pictures and some shelves here at 22/405 Fwy. Kids were screaming!!!!
type47fan
I felt it sitting at a desk in La Mesa (San Diego) . . . gentle swaying motion for about 5 seconds. Just talked to a guy in Temecula who felt it while on the 3rd floor of an office building.
TonyAKAVW
Felt it pretty strongly here in Manhattan Beach (about 40 miles west). I'm in a large reinforced concrete building on the third floor and it was flexing the windows, etc. Strongest I've felt in many years.

-Tony
JoeSharp
Yep, we've got a lot of ceiling tile to repair. As a Carpenter Supervisor I have about 4,000,000 square feet of building that I am responsable for. Some of them have asbestos in them. Most of those are closed now.
Eric_Ciampa
I was/am working a few minutes away in San Dimas area and we got a pretty good jolt. Had some fixtures fall from the ceilling, stuff fell from desks, etc. I just ran home over lunch and checked the house . Everything is ok, though I was half expecting the 914 to fall off its jackstands smile.gif.
Rotary'14
Felt it pretty good out here in Oxnard.

Gee,, I hope my jack stands didn't fall over,,, what will hold up my 914? biggrin.gif

-Rob
JoeSharp
My car is up on stands far enough for me to sit under. Hope it is just like I left it.
Cap'n Krusty
Well, the LA Times says you're all "a-Twitter". Sounds, well, a bit effeminate, but whatever. They don't call it La La Land for nothin'. A 5.9 is when a largish truck goes by out in the street ...............

The Cap'n
Katmanken
Ah...

A -twitter...

So that's what it was..... Us guys in the land of the ground don't shake need to understand the correct scientific Cali Media terms......

But that brings up a question?

Is California twitterpated??????

And, Is twitterpated kinda like constipated but right before the big one lets go?????

KennybeggingForgivenessfromWaltoftheLandofDisney
scotty b
QUOTE(George H. @ Jul 29 2008, 11:50 AM) *

A 5.8 in chino hills

Hey I got some pants from there !!

Hope everyone is O.K.
carr914
Better send all those Rust-Free cars East before the big one hits. biggrin.gif

T.C.
Wes V
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 29 2008, 06:35 PM) *

Better send all those Rust-Free cars East before the big one hits.

What rust free cars??

I felt it good out here in the west end of the San Fernando Valley!

Wes
Aaron Cox
My school is about 8 miles from there. We got rocked pretty good....

got to see some sidewalks and windows do the wave.....
dw914er
I thought it was my cat or dog running around up in redlands. Paid no attention to it.
JoeSharp
I'm bumming. My car fell. Pics of the carnage after I pick it up tonight.
biosurfer1
I flew in for the day for training and was about 10 minutes from Chino...thought it was a train at first. No damage though I was at a Gas Company site with a huge natural gas tank, made me a little uneasy.

Most of the people from LA there hardly noticed...
ClayPerrine
Another example of why I turned down relocation to Chino.

I want to live somewhere that doesn't have moving ground.......
BMXerror
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Jul 30 2008, 07:16 AM) *

Bummer! sad.gif
Mark D.
Eric_Ciampa
I was afraid someones car would take a dive off the jack stands during the quake. Sorry to hear it was your car. I bet your not the only one.
klikkid3
I was in the Library at Chaffey College in Rancho Cucamonga and let me tell that old building can really rock, some book fell but the funniest thing was the reaction of some of the staff. They bolted out that door like olympic sprinters. I dont think that place could take a much bigger quake than that.
BMXerror
QUOTE(klikkid3 @ Jul 30 2008, 06:23 PM) *

I was in the Library at Chaffey College in Rancho Cucamonga and let me tell that old building can really rock, some book fell but the funniest thing was the reaction of some of the staff. They bolted out that door like olympic sprinters. I dont think that place could take a much bigger quake than that.

lol... I go to school at San Bernardino Valley College, and since I'm in the tech. dept., we're relegated to the oldest building in the place! It's all block construction of some sort. At every entrance it says something like "This building was constructed in 1948, and while it meets all the building codes of 1948, buildings of this type have been known to collapse in a major earthquake." I'm off for the summer right now. I wonder if it's still there. idea.gif
Mark D.
JoeSharp
The carnage

IPB Image

Yeah my 910 fell off my pin ball machine.
SLITS
It'll buff out

I was sitting on Vermont Blvd in Gardena in the 2.5 ton truck waiting to turn into the Junk Yard Auto Recycling Center. The truck started bouncing around and all I could think of is somebody was jumping on the back .... it would have had to of been a BIG FUCHER as 17K lbs won't compress the springs which eliminates Clay. Of course, Gardena is full of Big Fuchers .... Soul food .... yummy and fattening.

What a disappointment to find out it was only an earthquake.
ClayPerrine
Ron....

That is the NICEST thing you have EVER said to me.... That I am not a "Big Fucher".

BTW.... the other reason I wouldn't accept the transfer to Chino was that I would be WAY too damn close to you!
SLITS
But .... but .... you'd felt right at home. The lilting aroma of cow shit and frijoles in the morning mist would surround your persona.

I love you too! wub.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 31 2008, 08:39 AM) *

But .... but .... you'd felt right at home. The lilting aroma of cow shit and frijoles in the morning mist would surround your persona.

I love you too! wub.gif

I can get that right here... and the ground doesn't shake at random intervals.
Wes V
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Jul 30 2008, 07:22 PM) *

The carnage
IPB Image

Obviously the paint got messed up during the earthquake event.

You should see if your home owners insurance will cover having it re-painted.

Wes
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Jul 30 2008, 07:22 PM) *

The carnage

IPB Image

av-943.gif
klikkid3
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Jul 30 2008, 06:49 PM) *

QUOTE(klikkid3 @ Jul 30 2008, 06:23 PM) *

lol... I go to school at San Bernardino Valley College, and since I'm in the tech. dept., we're relegated to the oldest building in the place! It's all block construction of some sort. At every entrance it says something like "This building was constructed in 1948, and while it meets all the building codes of 1948, buildings of this type have been known to collapse in a major earthquake." I'm off for the summer right now. I wonder if it's still there. idea.gif
Mark D.

biggrin.gif I have been through there a couple of times and you are definately right. That campus is the last place I would want to be in a major quake, but now that I think about it a quake wouldnt be so bad compared to getting shot for not knowing what "hood I represent" ar15.gif
jetboy
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Jul 30 2008, 07:16 AM) *

I thought once these cars got up on jackstands nothing could get them off. I stand corrected laugh.gif . Hope its not too bad.

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 30 2008, 10:50 AM) *

Another example of why I turned down relocation to Chino.

I want to live somewhere that doesn't have moving ground.......

Because possible hurricanes or tornados are a much better trade off blink.gif . ok unsure.gif ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.