Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Case id# question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Leo Imperial
So I have been pulling apart a 71' I picked up a few weeks ago and I haven't been able to identify the numbers on the case. I pulled off a reman (I think) plate to show the original numbers. I also measured the ID of the cylinders at 93.3mm which is correct for a 1.8. I will also post the heads for ID if anyone can help.

None of the info I have has a case number staring with CA, so that is where I am lost. The heads are 4 bolt intake and #'s are in the photo.
Joe Ricard
It's a type 4 motor. Thats about all that matters once you gut it and make it a 2056 or bigger.
Cap'n Krusty
Other than knowing the number for your own personal (and possibly secret, or maybe perverted) reasons, what difference does it make? The Cap'n
Jake Raby
Its a VWOA reman engine, hence the affixed plate and the VW "recycling" logo...

Probably remanned by VW of Canada....Its probably and 1800.
r_towle
I have a GB or GA case...cant remember at this moment..
I was moving it around today and notices large blue ink numbers just above the serial number on the vertical portion of the oil filler section of the case.

Ever seen that before...and yes this is for my own scewed perversion..

Rich
Leo Imperial
Thank you... I think. Capt we will have a session with the self help group starting in ten minutes, just wait for the special post inviting you to join. If it takes longer just wait and don't post anything else until your session is complete. This is best for everyone on the board.

Joe - I am building a 2073 right now, so i SOULD NOT SUFFER FROM 2056 Envy. My brother just installed a dyno in his shop and I will share the results.

Jake - makes sense. I wasn't sure about the heads and was thinking about using the case for my 74 for bus, which is also an 1800. I am expecting bad things from the heads when I pull it break it down. Thought they could be candidates for a rebuild. Also have a stock 73' 2.0 from my 914 that is getting the 2073 and was thinking of putting into the bus or selling. Lots of options not sure which to go with yet.

Maybe my secret and perverted reasons for asking these questions will get me the info I am looking for.

So does anyone know about the CA prefix?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Jul 29 2008, 07:14 PM) *

So does anyone know about the CA prefix?

CA = Type II, 1971 only
Leo Imperial
Interesting. 71' was a transition year for buses. The info I have reflects the 71' 1600 with prefix AE, then 72'-73' 1700 with prefix CB followed by CD in 73' with auto trans. Guess it would make sense that this is an early type 2.

Thanks Andy beerchug.gif
davep
A reference site for the type IV case numbers.
CA is an unusual case it seems.

http://www.tunacan.net/t4/reference/case.htm
Cap'n Krusty
72-74 Bus cases have a fuel pump pushrod hole in the flange to the right of the flywheel end of the case. 75-79 Bus cases do not. All bus engines have a mounting flange and hole at the right rear corner, next to the taco plate, for the oil filler. No bus engine cases have the dipstick tube installed in the top of the case below the oil breather flange. These features are always true. T4 (the car, not the engine) cases have the filler/dipstick flange on the lower right corner, and none have the fuel pump pushrod hole. No dipstick tube there, either. If the European 1974 1.8 had the mechanical fuel pump, it would have the hole, and it would also have the dipstick tube but not the oil filler on the lower right of the case. Simple, huh?

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.