Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Original -6 Gang...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
I recently purchased a great original -6 air cleaner but it has a strange intake pipe on the snorkle that I didn't have on my original -6.

Anyone have any ideas on the year this showed up? Mine was a 70 #2233 (if I recall). I remember it having a straight intake snorkle (if I recall) biggrin.gif

smg914
I know that the early carb'ed 911's (thru 1971) had this attachment on the end of the air intake nozzle. I believe a hose attached to it that went to one of the heat exchangers. But I've never seen it on an original 914-6.
Aaron Cox
thats the hash pipe smile.gif
Eric_Shea
I know that the early carb'ed 911's (thru 1971) had this attachment on the end of the air intake nozzle. I believe a hose attached to it that went to one of the heat exchangers. But I've never seen it on an original 914-6.

Yup, my 911 had one. This is a -6 cleaner though... Short, Squat and all plastic. The long snorkle reminds me of the -6 snorkle as well. It just has the pipe on it. The rivets check out too. You can see from the picture they have the factory grid impact imprint.

thats the hash pipe

Ohhhh brother... fresh outta college and this is what we teach them. Do I know you? Your name seems familiar tongue.gif
mskala
I have what should be the original snorkel in the basement, and it doesn't have the pipe. 9140430272.
914Sixer
Like you said, 911 looking in nature. Carb warm up heat from heat exchangers on a 911. Old paper parts book does not show anything like that. I have not checked the PET. I am certain neither of my -6s had that.
jtf914
Mine doesn't have the pipe on it either. Maybe the it's a 911 snorkel on a -6 air cleaner
Eric_Shea
I have what should be the original snorkel in the basement, and it doesn't have the pipe. 9140430272.

Here's a kinda personal question: Does your snorkel hang to the left or the right. biggrin.gif

I've been looking at the PET and it looks like this may be a 911 part #. In a 914 (mounted) the snorkel would hang to the right/passengers side of the car. The one I have here would hang to the left.

The main air box is the short plastic one on the 914 (clears the engine lid). The 914-6 unit shows as a 911 part number (911.108.011.02) so I suppose some 911's could have come with this shorter box. The 914-6 snorkel shows as a 911 part number as well (911.108.041.01)

My 71 911 came with a metal air filter box. The PET sows plastic for that year 911 but, I've spoken with many 911 owners that have the same experience.

I'm wondering if this short plastic box may have been used on the 911's and if that's what I have. I'm happy to have the box but maybe I need a new snorkel? Mark, is your's being used?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
that is a mechanical injection air cleaner
Eric_Shea
that is a mechanical injection air cleaner

As in MFI? Not any MFI air cleaner I've seen.

The MFI snorkels have quite the elaborate warm up valve assembly. The MFI snorkel would hang to the right as well (in a 914). They are plastic though. 911.108.015.00 is the part number for the "regulator" housing.

I have an MFI air cleaner for my 3.0 MFI project. Worlds apart.
smg914
Just for reference: My '71 914-6 and my mechanical injected 72T.
914Sixer
I believe the DR is correct. The early 911(69,70) MFI did not have the flapper box shown in the picture. Not sure about the 71.
Eric_Shea
I believe the DR is correct. The early 911(69,70) MFI did not have the flapper box shown in the picture. Not sure about the 71.

Weren't those all metal? The guys on the S Registry seem to think so. confused24.gif

Anyone have a -6 snorkel?
Cap'n Krusty
Nice tries, however misguided. That tube is for the cabin flow through ventilation system. There's a paper flex hose that goes to a tube on the right frame rail Most 911/912s have had this tube blocked off because the foam silencer has gone to foam stuff heaven. There is no carb preheat on any 911. The Cap'n
sixnotfour
Anyone have a -6 snorkel?

What car do you need that for ?

I "may" have one.
Eric_Shea
What car do you need that for ?

914-6. Apparently you can tell a 914 guy vs. a 911 guy as the 914's hang to the right and the 911's hang to the left.

Nice tries, however misguided. That tube is for the cabin flow through ventilation system. There's a paper flex hose that goes to a tube on the right frame rail Most 911/912s have had this tube blocked off because the foam silencer has gone to foam stuff heaven. There is no carb preheat on any 911. The Cap'n

Thanks for the edification El Capitan. I knew my 911 had one but didn't exactly remember where it hooked into. I know it wasn't the heat exchanger but I was thinking some sort of oil breather thing... fresh air breather it is. I remember the little flange on the rail.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.