Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why not use this to freshen up old weatherstripping?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
For the last few days, i have been using "Formula V Traction Treatment" on my old GoodYear racing slicks and it seems to really work.
The rubber has become much softer in just two days ...

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productse...sp?Product=3340

Any good reason why you couldn't use this to revitalize old rubber seals and weatherstripping ???
idea.gif Andy
Rand
Hmm... I wonder what the chemical makeup of that stuff is.

Back in the old days of my computer repair shop, I used to refurbish the rollers on dot matrix printers with some stuff a guy from an earlier generation taught me about that he used on typewriter platens.... I digress, but this stuff was AMAZING at renewing rubber surfaces.

Dammit, I can't think of it. But it was an ingredient you would find in a lot of expensive rubber conditioners... Yet you could buy it separately a lot cheaper. And it worked really well at revitalizing anything made of rubber.

"Chlorinated solvent" comes to mind as a generic term we used for it. Oh well, I'll post again if I remember more.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 29 2008, 10:26 PM) *

Hmm... I wonder what the chemical makeup of that stuff is.

It's petroleum based, but the exact recipe is a secret ...
idea.gif Andy
hcdmueller
I seem to remember that "chlorinated solvents" were mostly replaced by less toxic solvents. I know carbon tetrachloride has been banned and I think even older drycleaning solvents are being phased out.

SirAndy's idea seems like a good one. I have some weather stipping on my vw bus that needs help.

I have been searching for an MSDS for the "Formula V Traction Treatment" because I want to know if it is safe to ship through USPS. So far no luck. If anyone finds one post a link here please.
rhodyguy
andy, just buy a little bottle of glycerin to the weather stripping. a few apps will help soften it and make it look better too. as recomended in our fav book. the haynes manual...

k
retrofit
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 30 2008, 06:47 AM) *

andy, just buy a little bottle of glycerin to the weather stripping. a few apps will help soften it and make it look better too. as recomended in our fav book. the haynes manual...

k

Would glycerin be appropriate to use on the rubber bumper trim? I mean it's rubber, only more surface area...
Allen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.