Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP! Need a couple of pictures of various 914 tags
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
I need to update the VIN section "Help" ...

I'd like to add sample pictures of VIN Tags, Karman plates, Door Jamb Stickers etc.

Here's a list of what i need good quality pictures of:

- Small VIN plate at the windshield post
- Early large VIN plate on the headlight bucket
- Later VIN plate (at the firewall? when was the switchover date?)
- VIN stamped into pass. side front fender
- Early Karmann plate on the drivers side door jamb
- Late Karmann tag on the headlight support
- Large door jamb sticker with VIN and build date
- Stamped chassis number in the rear trunk. Both locations, in the middle and to the right.
- Hand written chassis number on the underside of the dash, near the ashtray

beerchug.gif Andy
carreraguy
Hi Andy!
Wouldn't Jeff Bowlsby have a lot of those pics? I know he took a few shots on my '76 of labels you listed.
Later,

markb
Didn't somebody recently post a pic of the last one?
SirAndy
QUOTE(carreraguy @ Jul 30 2008, 11:53 AM) *

Wouldn't Jeff Bowlsby have a lot of those pics? I know he took a few shots on my '76 of labels you listed.

Good idea! I'll see what i can dig up from Jeff's site ...
cheer.gif Andy
SirAndy

Late model chassis number tag (June 1974 - 1976), Front trunk, right side wheel well recess, Embossed metal plate, riveted to chassis

IPB Image
SirAndy
Karmann Plate on drivers side door jamb, 1970-76, contains Chassis number and paint code, Left door jamb, front, Numbers embossed into aluminum plate, riveted to chassis

SirAndy
Door jamb sticker with VIN number and build date code, Safety compliance, 1970-76, Left door jamb, rear, Plastic label, perforated VIN and production date, glued to chassis

NOTE: the layout and color differs over the years, there are at least 7 types plus two replacement types ...

SirAndy
VIN Plate on the windshield frame, 1970-76, except ROW, Front left windshield inside A-pillar post, Embossed aluminum plate, riveted to chassis

SirAndy
VIN Plate, Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), payload, 1970-75, Front trunk, 1970-1974: Right side headlight bucket, 1975-only: Rear wall, Embossed aluminum plate, riveted to chassis

Plate:
Click to view attachment

1970 - 74 location:
Click to view attachment

1975 location:
Click to view attachment

anybody got a better pic of the later location???
idea.gif Andy
SirAndy
VIN stamped into fender, 1970-76, Front trunk, right fenderwell, VIN number stamped onto raised bench on chassis

SirAndy
chassis number stamped into the rear trunk floor, 1970-75, Rear trunk floor, lower right corner or center near the lock on really early cars, Chassis number stamped onto chassis

stamped number:
Click to view attachment

later location:
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
chassis number handwritten on dash frame, years IPB Image, Dashboard, Handwritten on under surface of dashboard frame

SirAndy
the following is a list of additional pictures i'd like to get:

- a overall picture of the front trunk that shows the location of the late model chassis tag below the headlight bucket on the crossbeam support

- a overall picture of the karmann plate in the front doorjamb that shows the location

- a overall picture of the VIN sticker on the rear doorjamb that shows the location

- a overall picture of the VIN plate on the windshield frame that shows the location

- a better picture showing the late model VIN plate at the firewall

- a better overall picture showing the location of the late model VIN plate at the firewall

- a overall picture showing the location of the stamped VIN in the pass. fender

- a overall picture showing the location of the center stamped chassis number in the rear trunk for early cars

any help would be greatly apprechiated!
beerchug.gif Andy
Lavanaut
This is an awesome thread Andy, I wish I'd seen it last week, would have saved me some headaches. I thought it might be worth mentioning a couple things...

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 30 2008, 02:27 PM) *

Karmann Plate on drivers side door jamb, 1970-76, contains Chassis number and paint code, Left door jamb, front, Numbers embossed into aluminum plate, riveted to chassis

The chassis number is not included on the tag for the 6-cylinder cars, correct?

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 30 2008, 02:35 PM) *

VIN Plate on the windshield frame, 1970-76, except ROW, Front left windshield inside A-pillar post, Embossed aluminum plate, riveted to chassis

Numbers are 'raised' for 4-cylinder cars, 'depressed' for 6-cylinder cars.

I believe you already know these things, but I thought it would be worth mentioning here as this thread will undoubtedly be used by many as a reference in the future.

Thanks for putting this together! smilie_pokal.gif

Reid

Here's the Karmann plate on a 1971 914-6 for reference...

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
found some more ... type.gif

Karmann Plate Location:
Click to view attachment

Late Model Chassis Number Tag Location:
Click to view attachment

'75 VIN Plate Location:
Click to view attachment

VIN stamped into Fender Location:
Click to view attachment

SirAndy
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jul 30 2008, 04:03 PM) *

Numbers are 'raised' for 4-cylinder cars, 'depressed' for 6-cylinder cars.

This is not about the differences between /4 and /6 cars but rather a guide to where to locate the Tags, Stickers and stamped Numbers.

bye1.gif Andy
SirAndy
i'm still missing good pictures of:

- a overall picture of the VIN sticker on the rear doorjamb that shows the location

- a overall picture of the VIN plate on the windshield frame that shows the location

- a overall picture showing the location of the center stamped chassis number in the rear trunk for early cars

- a better picture showing the late model VIN plate at the firewall

santa_smiley.gif Andy
davep
This thread is good for some 914/6 pictures:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=6461

On another note, everyone needs to check the actual paint code on the Karmann badge. Guesses can often be wrong since there are several changes in code for essentially the same color. Also, the 914/6 code changed from two digit to four digit (example light ivory 11 to L80E) at or near 9141430400. We want to know the actual code stamped into the Karmann badge.
johannes
large pictures
johannes
more
SirAndy
QUOTE(johannes @ Jul 31 2008, 06:33 AM) *

large pictures

Thank you Sir! smilie_pokal.gif
SirAndy
Anybody got a good picture of a center stamped Chassis Number in the rear trunk of an early car or factory /6?

idea.gif Andy
Joe Bob
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 31 2008, 02:47 PM) *

Anybody got a good picture of a center stamped Chassis Number in the rear trunk of an early car or factory /6?

idea.gif Andy

I have a 1/70 build date 914/6.....It's on the Celette bench for a suspension ear fix....will that work?
tod914
I'll take some shots from a 74 and 75 for you this weekend. How many pixel wide
do you want the shots?

Thanks,

Tod
SirAndy
QUOTE(mikez @ Jul 31 2008, 09:07 PM) *

I have a 1/70 build date 914/6.....It's on the Celette bench for a suspension ear fix....will that work?

yes!

no closeup, but rather something for reference as to where to look for the number ...
beerchug.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jul 31 2008, 09:20 PM) *

I'll take some shots from a 74 and 75 for you this weekend. How many pixel wide
do you want the shots?

1024 will do ...
beerchug.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.