Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suspension problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
415PB
My next project is my front suspension and five lug conversion. While driving at a speed of 65 MPH the steering wheel starts to shake violently. But when I accelerate to 80 MPH the shaking goes away. Can anyone let me know what they think this might be.

Thanks
TheCabinetmaker
tire balance?
415PB
That's what I was thinking. But would the balance of the tires make it shake that much. I mean It is hard to even hold onto the steering wheel when it starts to shake. Both tie rod end boots are cracked and open. Would the tie rods cause this?
Jeffs9146
When I bought my 6 it was shaking. I had the tires balanced and it was still shaking. It turned out that the car had been sitting on flat tires so long that they were no longer round! I put another set of tires on and all is well!!!

Jeff
TheCabinetmaker
Yep, old, out of round tires will do it also, but that should show up on the balance, and so will loose tie rod ends. better check them all just to be safe
415PB
Cool, the PO had it sitting outside for about a year. That might be it. I am gonna purchase the turbo tie rod ends next week. Thanks guys
Eric_Shea
Tire balance and a front end alignment. You'll need one once the Turbo Tie Rods get installed so you should be fine.

What are you doing for a rear 5 lug conversion?

E.
415PB
Thanks for the advice. I have the rear hubs already. They have been re-drilled to five lug. Can I just re-drill the front hubs as well? Can't seem to find the 911 front hubs. No salvage yards by me...
415PB
Bump...
Eric_Shea
There's no such thing as "front hubs."

You can drill the front rotors but best bet is to find a 911 front suspension. (complete with hubs... 911's have hubs)

E.
Eric_Shea
You can drill your front rotors but when they wear out you'll need to do it again.
Qarl
Here are some issues I've dealt with over the years...

Vibrations due to....

1. Flat spot on tire

2. Balancing of wheel/tire (normal stuff)

3. The wheel being bent

4. The wheel being out of round. It didn't look bent, but when you jacked up the front wheel, held a stationary object near the lip of the rim and spun the wheel, you could see that the entire wheel was warped.

5. Tire mounting bead being broken (there is a reinforced area on the tire where it mounts towards the lip of the rim. The reinforcing material (steel or whatever) had broken and there was an obvious bulge that you could see on the tire close to the edge of the rim. No balancing could take care of it.

6. Alignment problems

7. Bad/loose/worn tie rods.

8. Loose front bearings or worn bearings.

So... this could be your checklist of things to verify.

Be sure to check all the wheels. Sometimes it seems it's from a certain corner of the car, but it could be one of the other tires.

Good luck and let us know what you find out!

Karl
nebreitling
i had a vibration issue that was cleared up w/ new trailing arm bushings (thanks, HPH).. put the car up in the air and make sure you can't move the rear wheels laterally.
415PB
Thanks all for the help. Eric, thanks for the info. I am still in the learning stages and really do appreciate the help. Karl thanks for the checklist. I will probably wait until the next Pomona swap meet and see if I can find the 911 front suspension there, along with some Fuchs.

Thanks again,
Rod
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.