Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ouch! Mikey smacks into back of car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
My son Michael smacked into the back of a Honda today. This isn't going to be cheap. He broke hard and forgot to put in the clutch huh.gif

Actually tore the mounts off the trans, not on the mount, on the case!!

So, I'll be looking for a shell with a wiring harness to transplant to.
jsayre914
sad.gif Sorry to see that, what did the honda look like? was your son ok? seatbelt?
Matt Meyer
How's Michael and the other driver? Passengers?

It looks like those "improved" late model bumpers weren't too effective. I assume you'd mention if it was a CR-V so the car was relatively low, yes?

I have a '75 and wasn't considering backdating the bumpers becuase I wanted the safety for a DD. But if the car will just submarine under a Honduh Accord or Civic then what is the point?
familienauto
One thing I'd say is if you backdate you might consider the bumperettes, particularly on the back. I got hit at slow speed, dented my nice rear chrome bumper. If I'd had bumperettes on the back all I would have to do was replace those.
Trevorg7
Hope your son and the others were okay.

Sucks about the car.

T
Carlitos Way
Hope your son is OK. Car can be replaced. Kid cannot.

I'm sure he won't appreciate being called a kid... but you know how that is.

C:>
watsonrx13
Mark, that's terrible.... sad.gif Sorry about the car and I hope your son is OK....

-- Rob
Katmanken
Honda probably looks a whole lot worse...

They make them out of some really thin steel. Ever seen a Civc after it nails a Toyota MR2???

The MR2 had a scratch on the bumper, the Honda had it's front tires embedded in it's own bumper.

Ken
GaroldShaffer
Hope eveyone is ok? as for the car, if the tub is not twisted it could make a nice track car with a little work.
neo914-6
Sorry to hear that Mark, if you need headlight assemblies I'll send them to you...

It may be less time to weld on a front clip than transfer parts.
championgt1
Bummer! Hope your son is ok.
Gary
Rough man. BTDT. Car can be repaired or replaced.
MrKona
Mark,

Really sorry to hear that, I hope everyone is okay.

- Bryan
Carrera916
Glad to hear Michael is okay....

I'm trying to figure out why the rear gearbox fell out and it seams to me the engine/gearbox were not secured tightly or mounts were so worn out that there's movement in the drivetrain. That alone can break the ears off the gearbox cover when hit hard in one direction. If it was rear ended, oh yes, it'll break....but hit in the front alone?

If your car was hit at the front as shown in the picture and nothing else, I really don't see why you may need to transfer everything to another car....unless there wasn't pictures for other damages that I wouldn't know....

get someone to take a good look & measure the chassis...that'll be the way to go....

Hope things will turn to your favor when it comes to repair...

good luck....

j
Todd Enlund
That'll buff right out. biggrin.gif

Seriously, though... it looks like it might be fixable. Look it over. Fenders, hood, bumper, tranny tail cover... Looks like it submarined the ricer.

Still sucks though... sorry to hear it.
Mikey914
Well, figured out exactly what happened. First off everyone's Ok. The lady in front of him stopped suddenly and he jambed on the brakes. He said that the brakes didn't stop as fast as they should have. That's because he didn't hit the clutch and brakes. Ooops. He hit a 2004 Honda Accord. Basically went under it. Tore off her muffler, and did some lower bumper damage. As his front brakes lowered the front end, it just slid under the other car.

I'm lucky that I have a good buddy with a shop that can do the work, now just the parts. I've located a hood, and a fender (maybe). Felix I may take you up on the buckets. The tops got distorted pretty bad. the light units and at least one motor is shot.

Right now it's a matter of if it pencils out to fix this one or transfer parts to a roller. There's not allot of rust on this one so it may be worth it.

Of course he does this right before a big date with some hot young thing. So, I'm letting him borrow my 951. I did however set the boost down. He was so upset that I'm sure he'll be careful, also I told him any damage to my car comes out of his college fund.
Hammy
Looks fixable
Root_Werks
sad.gif
rhodyguy
was it raining in the pdx area? the roads slick up so nicely with a little rain after a nice hot spell.
DNHunt
Must have been the rain.

I spent last night in the ER with Gerry, my son. He was hit by a kid in a Mercedes coupe who lost the rear end and crossed into Gerry's lane. He was hit in the left front quarter panel and driver's door, pushed into a stump that took out the right side and then down a 30 foot embankment. Both air bags went.

He got a sprained neck and a small cut on the finger (Thank God).

He was in our 2004 Pilot. After looking at that wreck I think that car protected the passenger compartment darn well.

Now for the insurance hassles.

Dave
rhodyguy
holy moly dave!! SO glad gerry is ok!! if the other driver was in a benz their ins should be dandy. pain and suffering. time for the squeeze play. total on the pilot?

k
Root_Werks
Ouch! Guy's, I hope both your kids wind up okay. Shaken I am sure, but okay.

Rain on the roads around here can be tricky as Kevin said. Especially after its been dry for a while.
scotty
Ow!

Glad everone's okay.

If you're in the DEQ area, that's another point to getting a pre-75 car and transferring everything, though it looks like you had a nice car there.

Either way, this looks like an opportunity for a nice father/son project if you have a garage with space.
Mikey914
My garage is actually filed with my other 914 and a bunch of rubber seals. It's currently at my friends body shop where it's awaiting it's fate. I'll probably wind up fixing, or it can just wait. He goes back to college in a little over a month, so we'll see how much we get done before that.
dinomium
lets be careful out there! Glad the boys are mostly ok.

Mikey914
Well, I picked up a shell on craigslist that I intended to use for parts and found that it's in very good shape. There were a few layers of paint, but best of all the original paint was preserved because the 1st repaint didn't scuff the trunks so I was able to pressure wash off most on the paint. The engine compartment they had actually painted black where some repair work was done, but in very good shape. Here's what we've done so far.
This is the factory green
The before pictures are a little dark and I took them with my phone, so not the best, but you get the idea. We also shot the doors, jambs and inner trunk lids.
6freak
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 31 2008, 04:20 PM) *

My son Michael smacked into the back of a Honda today. This isn't going to be cheap. He broke hard and forgot to put in the clutch huh.gif

Actually tore the mounts off the trans, not on the mount, on the case!!

So, I'll be looking for a shell with a wiring harness to transplant to.

Glad the boy its ok ...Hopefully he will learn to pay attention...just being a Dad thats what i would say to my son .I dont suger coat nothing...no disrespect intended...good luck with the car
So.Cal.914
That was quick, looks good. Hows the rest?
Mikey914
Well this is about 2 weeks worth of work sanding, preping and shooting. He's learning that it's easier to avoid the accidednt than to do the work. But at least when he's done he will have a better ride. Just need to put in the new rubber and get the engine swaped over. Then we can work on the rest. Brobably another month. I've got a carpet kit comming from Morph, so it should look pretty sharp.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.