Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: procedure for shift pattern setup.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JOE M
Lets start with the good news. The shift bushings fixed most of my sloppy shifting. Now the bad news!!! I put the shift linkage back in but I cant seem to find 4th or 5th gear. When I shift from 3rd to what I think is 4th I am actually back in 2nd. Hmmmmm. I cant get into 4th or 5th help. Reverse ,1st ,2nd, and 3rd are all great. Also a couple of times I clip reverse when shifting from 1st to 2nd.
Any ideas? Thanks Joe M.
rhodyguy
first, tail or side shift? second, did you remove the shift lever assem from the front rod? for the side, if you removed the lever at the coupler, you prob need to rotate the coupler on the lever assem ccw on the front rod. in the 2nd to 3rd plane of the shift pattern the lever should rest lightly against the detent plate while the trans is engaged in 2nd or 3rd. the front to rear freeplay should be roughly the same in both of those gears.

k
JOE M
Its a tail shifter. I am not sure what you mean by rotata the coupler. I thought the coupler was an ordinary coupler and not an eccentric. I did remove the linkage to replace all of the bushings
rhodyguy
the piece that bolts to the bottom of the shift lever and clamps to the leading end of the front shift rod.

k
JOE M
So is it common to have this slightly off and not get into all the geras?
rhodyguy
yes. not unheard of. back to ? #2. type "shift and linkage and adjustment" into the search feature. check garage, one week ago and older. 4 pages of results. it's all there.

Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 1 2008, 08:49 AM) *

the piece that bolts to the bottom of the shift lever and clamps to the leading end of the front shift rod.

k

It's a tail shifter. They don't have a coupler under the shifter. They have one in the tunnel at the rear of the seats, which is accessed through the tunnel cover and am hole in the side of the tunnel. There's a fixture that is inserted in the coupling at the tail of the trans, and you then set the adjustment inside the tunnel. Most people haven't ever seen the fixture, much less own one. (I do.) Most people fake it through repeated small incremental changes. PITA. The Cap'n
rhodyguy
john is right. i misread. major PITA! what does this fixture item look like?

k
roadster fan
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 1 2008, 09:36 AM) *

what does this fixture item look like?
k

agree.gif Never even heard of one, and I have read alot of the threads on adjusting shifters, especially tailshifters. The Cap'n has been holding out on us shades.gif

Jim
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 1 2008, 08:31 AM) *

It's a tail shifter. They don't have a coupler under the shifter. They have one in the tunnel at the rear of the seats, which is accessed through the tunnel cover and am hole in the side of the tunnel. There's a fixture that is inserted in the coupling at the tail of the trans, and you then set the adjustment inside the tunnel. Most people haven't ever seen the fixture, much less own one. (I do.) Most people fake it through repeated small incremental changes. PITA. The Cap'n

Arrr - Me thinks the Cap'n's fixture should go on tour - starting in Kansas....

Is that fixture/tool available to be sourced anywhere these days? That would be a handy device to have around - unless it is a million dollars or so.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.