Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dash tops for early cars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Lavanaut
I've recently learned that there were two different dash top styles made for the 914-6, an early style and a late style. Late in this case signifies the '72 models, wherein the distance between the edge of the dash and the opening for the glove box is wider (approx 4" wide) to allow for the dash vents introduced that model year.

The question I have is, for the earlier style, were there any differences between the dash tops used in the 4- and 6-cylinder cars? I need an early /6 dash top, I'm wondering if one from a /4 will work.

Thanks
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Aug 1 2008, 10:21 AM) *

I've recently learned that there were two different dash top styles made for the 914-6, an early style and a late style. Late in this case signifies the '72 models, wherein the distance between the edge of the dash and the opening for the glove box is wider (approx 4" wide) to allow for the dash vents introduced that model year.

The question I have is, for the earlier style, were there any differences between the dash used in the 4- and 6-cylinder cars? I need an early /6 dash, I'm wondering if the dash from a /4 will work.

Thanks

To my knowledge (and don't trust it) the same dash tops were used for the 4 and six.

Yes, there were differences in the glove box opening dimensions.
Pat
sixerdon
Lavanaut, I'm confused about your question. Are you asking about the dash top as in the other thread,....or are you asking about the main dash unit that is screwed and bolted to the frame??
If you are questioning the dash top 4 vs 6, then Pat is correct. They are interchangeable for '70/'71.
The all metal main dash unit is another story needing explanation.

Don
Lavanaut
I edited my original post to try to be more clear, I can see how it might have been confusing. Maybe it still is. smile.gif But yeah Don, I was talking about the dash top as was being discussed in the other thread ~ I didn't want to further hijack that one.

This is encouraging though, will definitely be easier to source an early dash top since I'm not limited to what was made specifically for the 6s.

Thanks guys!
914Sixer
All the dash pads(top) not the frames are the same. However there is a slight variation the the texture of the material used. I am not sure when this occured. Most of the ashtray pattern material does not match the dash top material pattern. There is even more variation in the late 75-76 cars that I have noticed.
SirAndy
The early dashtops are the same as far as i know ...

One significant difference between early /6 dashes and early /4 dashes is the fact that the early /4 cars had the center vent while the early /6 cars did not ...

But that's part of the dash subframe, not the dash top ...
bye1.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.