Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Curious rocker or weird photo?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
spotontheroad
I'm new to 914s and new to 914World.com and have been reading all I can before I start work on rebuilding my car. In the process I have read the 914 & 914-6 book by Dr B Johnson - a guide to originality - and on page 19 (bottom left) there is a curious picture of a 914-6 GT with a strange rocker panel that appears to have a fold-out section. What is this all about? If anyone has the same book and knows the answer I'd be grateful if they'd let me know.
Many thanks

Keith
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(spotontheroad @ Aug 1 2008, 02:27 PM) *

I'm new to 914s and new to 914World.com and have been reading all I can before I start work on rebuilding my car. In the process I have read the 914 & 914-6 book by Dr B Johnson - a guide to originality - and on page 19 (bottom left) there is a curious picture of a 914-6 GT with a strange rocker panel that appears to have a fold-out section. What is this all about? If anyone has the same book and knows the answer I'd be grateful if they'd let me know.
Many thanks

Keith

Keith,

Must be because I have the original print copy, but bottom-left in my book shows an interior shot - rollbat visible.

Hmmm?
Pat
spotontheroad

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 1 2008, 05:35 PM) *

Many thanks

Keith

Keith,

Must be because I have the original print copy, but bottom-left in my book shows an interior shot - rollbat visible.

Hmmm?
Pat

I'll see if I can scan a copy and attach it - I hadn't appreciated that earlier prints may be different. Thanks for quick reply anyway.
Cheers
Keith
spotontheroad

Many thanks

Keith

Keith,

Hmmm?
Pat

I have that picture too in my copy but it is centre page - the one I am on about is as attached (I hope!)Click to view attachment
ArtechnikA
I forwarded the question and a link to the thread to Dr B -- we'll see if there is more to this.

It doesn't actually look (to me) like a /6GT rocker, since I can't
see any flare, but there's not a lot of detail available in that
picture.

The hardware on the ground looks
like standard rocker/rear valance attachment hardware, so maybe this
is part of concours prep?

It almost looks like that's where you'd want the valance to separate
for access to rear suspension or oil tank/line parts, but I don't
recall seeing such features on any other /6-GT.
IronHillRestorations
That was a mod done on some competition cars for easier rear suspension adjustments.
McMark
Some spectator got their bellbottoms caught and bent it. The driver was PISSED!

av-943.gif
Eric_Shea
What Perry said... that's a common GT rocker mod. A small piano hindge was glassed into the rocker. There's more detailed photos on Armando's site in the Jon Lowe pictures If I recall.

I believe there was a pin at the top of the rear section of the rocker to hold it in place.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(spotontheroad @ Aug 2 2008, 04:36 AM) *

Many thanks

Keith

Keith,

Hmmm?
Pat

I have that picture too in my copy but it is centre page - the one I am on about is as attached (I hope!)Click to view attachment

So, now I'm curious. Brett's book is a valuable source, though the original had 5 or 6 errors in it.

So how many releases of this book have been made? I'll get the latest if I know what it is.
Pat
Tom_T
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 3 2008, 06:56 PM) *

QUOTE(spotontheroad @ Aug 2 2008, 04:36 AM) *

Many thanks

Keith

Keith,

Hmmm?
Pat

So, now I'm curious. Brett's book is a valuable source, though the original had 5 or 6 errors in it.

So how many releases of this book have been made? I'll get the latest if I know what it is.
Pat

Pat (& anyone else) -

Where can you find the "Johnson" book? (author - not "part"!)

...and what is the correct full title & author's first name pleez, so I can google for used books too?

Pat - I just read on another thread from last year about your "floaters" etc. & I know what your going thru (but maybe not as bad?). Mine are like w]swarms of gnats flying by! I look at it this way....it keeps the wife & kids entertained when I try to bat at them dang gnats! Hang in there & hope you're getting better now.

We've also lost both sets of parents - mine & wife's! My Dad was also a chemist in his first career, worked at Koppers in PGH & held a peck of patents (Company did), including for that urethane varnish everyone uses. My brother & I helped him do the test-bed on paneling in our basement in PGH. Later he moved us all to San Diego in `63, where he worked for Whittaker on JPL & NASA stuff.

Only a fellow chemist or family member can appreciate that useless set of tid-bits! Sorry to the rest for that side-track, but hopefully it brightens Pat's day!

Best!
carr914
Here are some color pictures for you

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 5 2009, 01:22 AM) *

Pat (& anyone else) -

Where can you find the "Johnson" book? (author - not "part"!)

...and what is the correct full title & author's first name pleez, so I can google for used books too?

I believe this is what you are looking for.

Paul
1970 Neun vierzehn
http://www.themotorbookstore.com/porsche-9...tion-guide.html

Hopefully, they do have it.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.