Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I am too simple to understand
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
dry.gif So, if the clutch tube breaks free inside the tunnel. The pedal and the transmission are still in the same place. Why does the pedal constantly keep going slack. Seems like the tube could move any way and the length from A to B would still be the same. Dont laugh....I just dont get it. Why even have a tube, just have a cable run from the pully to the pedal. I am going to fix my tube either way, I just dont understand exactly what is happening each time I tighten the nut. Everyone tells me the tube is moving foreward each time, The cable isnt getting longer???

Thanks

popcorn[1].gif
PRS914-6
I'll try to explain......It's not a straight shot from the pedal to the clutch like VW's. The guide tube has a"S" bend in it. When the tube breaks loose and when the clutch is depressed it just tries to straighten the "S" part of the tube. All the motion is used up straightening the tube instead of pulling. Normally the tube is anchored in several places and it can't flex.

There is more too it than that but I tried to keep it simple.
jsayre914
So I found this picture in the classics
what am I looking at??
Clutch tube is the yellow one??
And it is trying to straighten out??
That would make sense as to why the cable keeps getting longer. If it does straighten out, why does it need to be re attached, at that point it wont matter right??
sww914
There is also a bend in the sheath between the firewall and the transmission. After the clutch cable tube has broken loose from the tunnel it will begin breaking the firewall also. The distance between the pedal cluster and the firewall end of the tube will continue to get shorter until you have no more adjustment left.
This is like a bicycle cable, not just a straight cable from the pedal to the tranny.
Cap'n Krusty
The tube in VWs isn't straight, either. Well, maybe in the Bus, but not the sedan. They break, too. The Cap'n
PeeGreen 914
I believe the red is clutch, yellow is accel, the others are for you heat.
r_towle
If you somehow straighten it out it will hit the shifter...so you have to fix it.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.