Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rotary powered 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
of a rotary engine when used in a 914?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2365444

love all that space in the engine compartment : )

not sure how efficiently the radiator ducting is.

jim
Katmanken
Free extra heat and it gets better gas mileage than a Mazda because the car is lighter.
DBCooper
David Lee in Houston had a 13B motor in his gray 914 before he put in the 350. His comments were that it didn't have much torque and was very hard to keep cool and quiet.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

DBCOOPER;

Look guy just go up to N.Cal. Where you hid all that money and bring a bag or two back to Texas and do any way you like. Dave av-943.gif happy11.gif slap.gif
michaelt55
I had one in my kit car which is fiberglass. It was very hot and difficult to cool. Sounded like a sewing machine on crack when you revved it up!

Michael
So.Cal.914
It sounded cool inside...
DBCooper
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Aug 2 2008, 10:57 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

DBCOOPER;

Look guy just go up to N.Cal. Where you hid all that money and bring a bag or two back to Texas and do any way you like. Dave av-943.gif happy11.gif slap.gif

Already shades.gif did.
southernmost914
No torque at low RMP's . At high RPMS you go boy!

Steve
VaccaRabite
Rotarys..

You can make big power out of a smaller, lighter engine, and you can really wind out the RPMs.
But its a bitch to cool unless everything is well planned out.
And power is in the higher RPM range.

Zach
db9146
If you cool it adequately, the torque and hp characteristics are well suited for a 901. Little torque down low means that the tranny will last and that first gear is useable, certainly given the revability of the rotary. I got a ride in a stock 13B 914 years ago and was impressed by how well it suited the rest of the car.
carreraguy
Benefits? Speaking for a Mazda 2.0 (EJ20):
-Way more torque/hp;
-Reliable, modern engine; and
-All the reasons discussed in my blog below. biggrin.gif
Later,

Disregard - thought you were talking about a Subie conversion!
ericread
Is the Wankel engine still a gas hog, or did they finally get that solved?

Eric
jimkelly
some info i just got.

Hello Jim-
Thanks for emailing me with your concerns about the emissions issue in your state, emissions are pretty tricky to get just right but with the right person doing the tuning it will work out fine. You will need someone in your state to adjust the fuel/air ratio properly, you will definitely need to put in a catalytic converter after you break-in the motor, on the earlier Mazda Rx-7 they had an air pump delivering fresh air to the exhaust system, finally, if you do some type of intake porting you should be fine as long as you don't go too extreme, I definitely do not recommend exhaust porting. When building a motor, you need to rebuild the motor or purchase a rebuilt motor that has been completely rebuilt with all new seals and gaskets, below is a list of the seals/gaskets we replace when we rebuild or sell a rebuilt motor:

Kit Contains:
1. Exhaust Manifold to Block Gasket
2. Middle Plenum Intake Gasket
3. Manifold to Catilytic Converter
4. Upper Plenum Intake Gasket
5. Waterpump Gasket
6. Rear Stationary Gear O-Ring
7. Front Cover Gasket
8. Oil Pan Gasket
9. Waterpump Housing to Block Gasket
10. Front Cover Teflon O-Ring
11. Oil Pan Pickup Gasket
12. 5th & 6th Port Actuator Gaskets
13. Hylomar
14. Side Seals
15. Side Seal Springs
16. Air Control Valve Gasket
17. Metal Oil Control Rings
18. Thermal Pellet Replacement
19. Oil Pump Chain
20. Stock Mazda Outer Water Jacket Seal
21. Stock Mazda Inner Water Jacket Seal
22. Viton Oil Ring Inserts
23. Intake Manifold To Block Gasket
24. Oil Filter
25. Crank Angle Sensor O-Ring
26. Oil Metering Pump O-Ring
27. Misc O-Rings and Crush Washers
28. Tension Bolt Washers
29. Front & Rear Main Seal
30. Torrington Bearings
31. High Performance Apex Seals
32. Stock Mazda Apex Seal Springs
33. 93+ Corner Seal Springs
34. Solid Corner Seals

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel to email me at anytime.

Thanks,
Nas Bader
Supreme Rotary Chicago
312.927.8157 Direct
nbader@srchicago.com
Rotary'14
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Aug 2 2008, 09:39 AM) *

of a rotary engine when used in a 914?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2365444

love all that space in the engine compartment : )

not sure how efficiently the radiator ducting is.

jim

You can will have an incredible redline. IMHO that's it. There is really no good reason to go to all the trouble of putting a rotary engine in a 914. Not when the turbo Subie power plant can offer all the benefits of the rotary,, and get pretty darn good gas mileage too. sad.gif

The only thing the rotary does MUCH better than the subie is rev,, rev like a bike. And pull solidly while revving out. It's an addictive feeling,, ask anybody who has ever gone for a ride in a ported (built) rotary car. There might not be torque V8 guys are used to, but I bet most people who have gone for the ride come out of it with a positive experience,, a little more respect for the little 1.3L beer keg engine mazda built. A rotary 914 has 5 usable gears that work pretty good. I could've used a taller 5th for better highway cruising.

and since I'm talking about torque and rotaries,,,,
http://www.yawpower.com/tqvshp.html

I think the people who put rotaries into 914s do it because there is something about the engine the builder likes. I'm a closet rotor head that also happens to like the quirky 914. It seems natural to me, but I know it's definately not for your average car nut.

-Suby'14
-Rob

Looks like Supreme Rotary in Chicago is a stock engine assembler with little experience in rotary engine performance. The one of the key elements in unlocking the rotaries performance is in porting of the exhaust ports. screwy.gif
just my humble opinion
jimkelly
quote >> Looks like Supreme Rotary in Chicago is a stock engine assembler with little experience in rotary engine performance. The one of the key elements in unlocking the rotaries performance is in porting of the exhaust ports. screwy.gif
just my humble opinion

my guess >> is that the lack of exhaust porting was due to my concerns of getting a 13b thru emissions testing as top priority - not extra power.

see this
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/pts/776851767.html

note >> yeah - suby does have it all - turbo and non turbo engine models.
rascobo
None.

My 1st conversion was a rotory (1989/1990), as was my 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and fifth! All in just over two years. They are much to heat sensitivity for mid-engine application. I could could keep the H2O temp @ 180, but with so little mass to absorb the high ambient temp of the 914 eng. bay, they fried themselves in no time (and I never ran any of them over 5000 rpm). I then installed the one remaining thing America does best; GM 'IRON', and have never regretted it. I average probably 20 hrs. a week on improvements and maintaince on my 'Mechanical Wife', but have not spent more than 20 hrs. total on the motor since I installed it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.