Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Renagade seats
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
F4i
This is my attempt at stock seats with a bolster. It would cost me way too much to ship seats to renagade so I am doing this and having them recovered in leather. Does anyone know how renegade does their bolster? Is it just dense foam or something like this?
iiibdsiil
They use sheet metal, errr aluminum to make the bolsters. You have the angles right, just it looks like a tube on my laptop.

- Brett Smith
F4i
3/8" solid alum. rod. +fiberglass when finished. Should be strong.
Demick
The renegade seat bolsters are fairly flexible, so I don't think they could be fiberglassed in place. I made my own high bolsterd seat as well. Stripped an original seat down to the shell. Created the bolster shape with foam-core glued into place. Cut some 1/2 inch plastic pipe lengthwise to make a half-round profile and glued that to the top of the foam-core just to round off the edge of the foam-core. Then I fiberglassed it all into place. Covered it with layers of foam (foam is 1-4 layers thick in various areas to get correct contour). Then I upholstered the seat. It ended up very tight - so I can't even sit in it unless I take my wallet out. But it does give good support.

Pic shows half of seat covered in foam ready for upholstry. Other half is fiberglassed and ready for foam.

Demick
Demick
This shows the new vs. original contour of the seat
Demick
And the final product.

Ended up being too much work though. Just buy a renegade seat - well worth the money.
F4i
I think your seat looks very good. To me it's worth the work because of shipping. I am only doing the fiberglass work. They are being recovered by a shop. My bolsters are not quite as large as yours and the renegade. And they are only 3/8" wide. I also bent them out just a little. Hopefully I don't have any fitment issues. You do not realize just how narrow a stock seat is until you raise the edges.
Demick
The shape and fiberglass work was easy. The foam work was pretty easy as well. It was the upholstry work that put me over the edge. Total cost was a little over $100 in materials:
$20 for fiberglass materials
$60 for upholstry materials
$30 for foam

That and about 25 hours of labor.

Demick
F4i
Sounds like the major grief is in the recovering.
A local shop can recover the door panels, seats, backpad & centre cushion for $1200.00 Cdn. It will be
in leather as I already have a hyde. The door panel lower and the centre of the seat will be in fabric
supplied by them.
Renegade seat recover will run $700.00 US plus shipping both ways. So I can do the whole car for what
it would cost from renegade. Plus I get a warranty
pjhaun
I bought a couple GT Pontiac Feiro seats on ebay for $50. They have speakers in the head rest. I had them reupholstered for $350 each. They are unblieveably comfortable. They fit a little tight but it is not a problem. See attachment:
East coaster
Do you have any pics of the fiero seats installed with the backpad??

Does anyone in the Northeast have a Renegade seat, I'd love to check one out and see how/if I fit in it?
F4i
I like the speakers. What a good idea. Reminds me of a video game chair. How appropriate
pjhaun
Here is a view from the right:
pjhaun
Here is a view from the left:
joea9146
Whats the hieght of the seats look like from the floor.... do you modify
the rails or have to do anything to lower the seats ?
Brad Roberts
The Renegade seats are weak. After 1 year of getting in and out of the car 2-3 days a week the lower drivers side left bolster cannot handle the stress of day to day in/out of a human. It flattens out and makes no attempt to support your ass/legs.

I have to be careful what seats we use because we have to be under the roll cage a certain distance and most of my drivers are 6 foot+. The Fiero seats above are great for people who are short or small in stature. We have to mount or seats on the floor.

B
F4i
Brad it was you're comments about the renegade seats that helped prompt me making my own. That and
the cost. I spoke with the upholsterer about what to use for bolstering and he felt that aluminium would be
too weak. He said to make it strong. I can stand on them.
Brad Roberts
Sounds like you are on the right track. I know a guy in Arlington Texas was making seats for us also at some point. It is a lot of work. Good luck and keep us updated.

B
Van914
Brad,
How are you mounting the seats to the floor? Are you using a seat mount or bolting through the floor?
Thanks
Van

Trying to keep my head off the roof.

smile.gif
Brad Roberts
Hey Van (my brothers name is Van also)

I only use FIA approved seats on FIA brackets. We cut the cross brace out that holds the stock seat tilt bracket (it doesnt really do much) or just notch it for the seat brackets.

B
Scott Carlberg
Brad,
Andy has told me about doing that, Seats to the floor, is there ANY way of keeping
the adjustability when doing that?

Is is not possible to bolt the 'adjustable-part' of the seat to the floor, with
the seat?

Sc
Brad Roberts
The adjuster adds a min of 2 inches to the seat heigth. I honestly dont care whether people besides me can drive my cars...soo they get mounted where I want them. Think about how many other people drive your car.

B
Scott Carlberg
True, very true....

but what about when it comes time to sell?

Just bolt the adjuster back in?
Course IF you've put a much better seat in, you could just leave it, but
the new owner's legs might not be the same length as your own.
Brad Roberts
I would offer to re-mount the seat for the new owner or install the OE peices.

B
Van914
Brad,
Can you post any pictures of the seat brackets. My seats are OMP and are now mounted to the stock mounts with a little fabrication of the sliders.
Thanks
Van
Brad Roberts
Van,

When I posted I looked for a shots in my pic collection and didnt find anything. They are billet alum mounts that have 5 slots in the front and 3 in the rear for "tilting" the seat. They bolt to the sides of the seat and bolt flat to the floor. In SCCA we have to run a seat back brace if we dont use a FIA approved seat. Installing a seat back brace in a 914 is not much fun so we run the FIA approved seats which are actually crash tested unlike all the aluminum dirt track seats you see people using.

B
F4i
Got em back today. special thanks to seanery and Jeroen! smilie_pokal.gif
Qarl
Nice job!!!

clap56.gif
seanery
Dude,
they look sweet!
Aaron Cox
righteous! what was the cost of recovering + new logo in seat
F4i
$1500.00 for the work +75 for the logo.
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(F4i @ Feb 23 2004, 04:44 PM)
Got em back today. special thanks to seanery and Jeroen! smilie_pokal.gif

Must be seat week. I started on mine Sunday and ordered the fiberglass supplies today.
I sure like that logo
F4i
You may want to check for e-brake handle clearence with that wood. There isn't a lot of room there. Nice bolstering.
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(F4i @ Feb 23 2004, 06:02 PM)
You may want to check for e-brake handle clearence with that wood. There isn't a lot of room there. Nice bolstering.

I mounted the seat in the car and checked the adjusters, but did not think about the ebrakes. I've not yet added ebrakes to my 5 lug conversion. Thanks for the info back to the basement to check this.

<_< Bob
F4i
the factory even left out the foam on the drivers side at the bottom by the e-brake.
boxstr
My V8 914 has a MICO inline brake switch, activated with igniton on, push a button under the dash, Acts just like the park brake is on, I even tried to see if I could break it loose. Car running in gear, let out clutch, stayed in place. Deactivate the brake, by pushing on the brake pedal brakes off. Works for me.
CCLINMICOLAND
BIGKAT_83
Georgia Ebrake system............Lol
r_towle
CAMPNEEDHELPHERE,

I need something like your ebrake.

My rear brakes are not the stock caliper...
My car has no alternator, so I do not want to turn it off to check my time after each run (Its how we do it in our group)
So, an inline switch that can be turned on or off while the car is runnig would be great...I just need to put a safety cover over the switch so there is no chance of hittiing it during a run. laugh.gif

Where did you get it, what is it? what color? are they free? can you install it in ten minutes, or ten hours???

Rich
Andyrew
I bent my ebrake handle to allow my seat to fit.. Ebrake works, it just rubs the seat when engaged..

It is a problem..

Andrew
boxstr
Rich, Good evening. The MICO brake lock was on the car when I purchased it. Iwould say looking at the instructions it would fall into the weekend project category.
It is a switch that looks like a brake lite switch, which installs in line in the brake system.
I have an address for the company on east and west coast, also ph. numbers.
I would be happy to fax the information that I have or try calling the MICO Co.
MICO EAST
1911 Lee Blvd.
No. Mankato, Minnesota PH 507-625-6426

MICO WEST
701 East Francis
Ontario, Calif. PH 714-947-9058
CCLINMICOVILLE
mike_the_man
Dylan,

Those seats look awesome! Do you have more pics of your progress building them? I've been thinking about doing the same thing, and any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeroen
Man the e-mail notifications suck right now...
I just stumbled back into this thread

The seat look awsome!!!

cheers,

Jeroen
F4i
Thanks for the compliments. Mike what do you want to know? My part was the easy part. I put the seat
on it's side and traced out a pattern I liked. Then I checked for any kind of interference. You do not want
bolsters in your armpits. I then traced the pattern on some wood and cut it out. I bought some 3/8" rod
from crappy tire and bent 4 of them to the pattern. I drilled the holes and installed the rod. Fiberglassed it
up and off it went to the upholsterers. The only tip I can offer is to watch out for the e-brake handle
mike_the_man
Thanks Dylan,

Sounds like a good project for next winter. Where abouts in Alberta are you? I might be out there next month to do some skiing. It's always good to get together with a fellow teener, and I'd really like to check out your seats in person.
F4i
Calgary. If you are out skiing you should not be too far from here. Send me a pm before you come out and we can go for a beer. Maybe soloracer, Dave and other cowtown guys would be up for it too.
BIGKAT_83
Finished the first seat one more to go. I love my companys work at home program.
seanery
That looks nice!

good job!
F4i
Very nice ! clap56.gif
tat2dphreak
beerchug.gif

holy crap that ROCKS! very nice!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.