Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cylinder Head Rebuilding
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brer
My pal Don at the Bugpatch is going to be setting up to do some Type 4 heads in the next week or two. I'm having 2 sets done myself and thought others might need some good quality heads done..... reasonable prices as well if you just need stock work done.

He did a set of 1.7L heads for me with guides, seats, reground valves and 3 angle valve job for $400 last year and they run perfectly.

Bugpatch Type 4 Price list

The Bug Patch
9470 W. Heaney Circle
Santee, CA 92071
Phone: 619-449-8670

Mention 914World

smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty
What, no crack repairs? Practically every set of T4 heads I've seen in the last 15-20 years has had cracks ..................... And nobody uses reground exhaust valves.

The Cap'n
brer
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 3 2008, 06:01 PM) *

What, no crack repairs? Practically every set of T4 heads I've seen in the last 15-20 years has had cracks ..................... And nobody uses reground exhaust valves.

The Cap'n

Don't be silly Krusty. Some want a simple valve job and guides to get on the road, and some want more. Could his website be better? Sure. But he's not selling websites so cut him a little slack.

Quote from his website

"$125.00 each VALVE JOB (INCLUDES NEW SILICONE BRONZE GUIDES, NEW EXHAUST VALVES, CLEANING AND SURFACING) "

Type 4 head repair is like hiring a call girl. You pay by the hour not the crack.
brer
sample

NoEcm
QUOTE(brer @ Aug 3 2008, 07:11 PM) *

Type 4 head repair is like hiring a call girl. You pay by the hour not the crack.

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

brer
Don emailed me about this thread.

"I dont use reground exhaust valves."
r_towle
not do discredit anyone, but a real question.

Is the picture just funky or is there a significant texture to the bottom of the combustion chamber?

If there is a texture, please explain what the benefit is and the rational.

Rich
brer
I should have clarified what it was I posted, sorry.

That is a CNC milled 2L chamber. The texture is what is left behind by the mill and is very very fine.

Possible Applications for this 2L program would be,

1. CNC matching combustion chambers by milling both heads in sequence then surfacing both heads in sequence. The end result is perfectly matched chambers

2. Restoring heavily damaged and welded heads to their stock shape, matching in the process.

3. Creating 2L chambers on 1.7L/2L bus heads, after welding and relocating the spark plug hole.

This is one of Don's heads.
r_towle
oh, cool.
So he has a CNC program all setup to replicate the chambers in the heads....that is cool.

I assume that the finish would be different in the final product???

Does he do welding? Fix cracks?

The price seems really low for seats, welding, CNC, etc....

Is there a full monty price for a standard 2.0 liter head that has cracks?
figure one crack per chamber.

and, what type of valve job??

Rich
brer
He can bead blast them lightly for a fine texture, the finish you see there is quite smooth.

His prices are very low but thats mainly due to the fact that he owns his premises and all the equipment. Zero overhead and no payroll save one assistant. This also means they dont get done in a week.

Welding yes. Crack repair yes. He taught me the basics of TIG and really is good at it. his rate is 100hr. for welding.

valve job is 3 angle. He told me the angles but I cant remember exactly. One nice thing he did on my heads was install the seats before milling the chambers, so the seats were finished flush with the chamber floor.

I'll ask about a 2L head price, but you could call him up with question.
guess based on my headwork is around $700-800 for heads with welding and new seats/valves/guides. if you get it all done.
retrofit
Thanks for the headsup re head work.
Would appreciate it if you follow up on the 2.0L "total enchilada" pricing.
I'm in the get it rebuilt boat, not build it up. Realistic engineering...
Ak
retrofit
QUOTE(retrofit @ Aug 4 2008, 10:23 PM) *

Thanks for the headsup re head work.
Would appreciate it if you follow up on the 2.0L "total enchilada" pricing.
I'm in the get it rebuilt boat, not build it up. Realistic engineering...
Ak

Just thought of something. That's $700-$800 for two heads, right? Or per head?
Ak
brer
Total Enchilada pricing for 914world members

the prices are the same for 1.7, 1.8, & 2.0.

1. Total Enchilada- all new seats, guides, swirl polished stainless SI valves, new exhaust studs, bead blast, surface, and 3angle valve job, your springs tested and replaced w/ matched if needed - per pair of T-4 $650.00 per pair.

2. Using reground stock intake and new SS exhaust valves $570.00 per pair. (Same package but w/out performance valves)

3. Using reground stock intake and new exhaust valves and no exhaust stud repair are $410.00 per pair. (Same package but w/out performance valves or exhaust studs)

4. Basic service, same as 3 but w/out new seats. $250per pair

+ Add $200.00 for cnc porting per pair.

This does not include any other repairs like cracks, threads, or welding which can add a $100 or so.
Seats used are modern composite jobs and are compatible with modern fuels.
1.7L heads can get a bump in valve size with total enchilada for no charge

+ Crack repairs are about $40.00- $60.00 each and might also need chamber cutting $50.00 per head and or exhaust cutting $30.00
+ thread repairs are $20.00- $30.00 each
+ welding is $20.00 minimum to $100.00 per hour.
+ New springs are $40.00 per set if you don't have your own selection, or you can use your old ones.

Turn around time of 2-4 weeks
retrofit
QUOTE(brer @ Aug 5 2008, 12:57 PM) *

Total Enchilada pricing for 914world members

the prices are the same for 1.7, 1.8, & 2.0.

1. Total Enchilada- all new seats, guides, swirl polished stainless SI valves, new exhaust studs, bead blast, surface, and 3angle valve job, your springs tested and replaced w/ matched if needed - per pair of T-4 $650.00 per pair.

2. Using reground stock intake and new SS exhaust valves $570.00 per pair. (Same package but w/out performance valves)

3. Using reground stock intake and new exhaust valves and no exhaust stud repair are $410.00 per pair. (Same package but w/out performance valves or exhaust studs)

4. Basic service, same as 3 but w/out new seats. $250per pair

+ Add $200.00 for cnc porting per pair.

This does not include any other repairs like cracks, threads, or welding which can add a $100 or so.
Seats used are modern composite jobs and are compatible with modern fuels.
1.7L heads can get a bump in valve size with total enchilada for no charge

+ Crack repairs are about $40.00- $60.00 each and might also need chamber cutting $50.00 per head and or exhaust cutting $30.00
+ thread repairs are $20.00- $30.00 each
+ welding is $20.00 minimum to $100.00 per hour.
+ New springs are $40.00 per set if you don't have your own selection, or you can use your old ones.

Turn around time of 2-4 weeks

aktion035.gif Hey ther Brer
You are on the ball! Are you in marketing? Just kidding. When you know of some good people it's good to spread the word. Will keep this rebuilder in mind.
AK
McMark
I don't think I've seen many (if any) CNC heads (not just VW) that have the milling marks removed. The depth of the highs and lows is probably less than stock casting texture.

Check out the CNC pattern on these guys (view the full size image).
cgnj
Hi,

Don did a set of 2.0 heads for me long before Headflow Masters, HAM and RAT. I would use him again.

Carlos
brer
getting ready to do some more heads!
this deal is active once again.

cheers!

Drums66
Cool Brer........Brian Pauter(Pauter Machine)...also recommends him agree.gif
StratPlayer
Thanks for the heads up. Might have some business for him.
brer
pm me if you are thinking of having some done.

Easier for me to email back and forth as it gets kinda busy in the shop
and and it can be hard for him to spend alot of time answering calls.
brer
Bump icon_bump.gif

Gint
Hey Brer, Does that price include any crack repair? And on a related note, welding up late model air injection port holes?
brer
those prices are all with no crack repairs included, there are some costs for crack repair listed up higher in this thread.

I know some cracks may not be visible until the seats are out but if you want to send me photos of obvious cracks I can confer with him about the cost to fix.

his welding is excellent as are seat replacements. He figured out the valve seat issue a good while back and explained it all while showing me how to do it.
Gint
Duh. Been a while since I read this whole thread. I'll go do that now. If I decide to have a set done I'll pm (email?) you as requested. But cracks are cracks and regardless what they cost to repair it obviously should be done. These were just general questions to decide whether to have a set done and if so which pair to do. I have late and early.

Can you get the price to weld up air injection ports on late heads? Should be a standard operation...?
brer
as a reference, a 2.0 spark plug hole with a crack

grind the crack out and weld it up
clean the weld, and install time-cert

$50 normally ($75 for really cracked spark plug boss)

justme
Hi BR,

I need a set of 1.7's cleaned up for my 1911. They are already opened & flycut so I'm just looking for a basic on the valves. Is now a good time to send them?

Happy New Year,

Welcome back World beerchug.gif
J P Stein
As a data point only.
I sent my heads to EBS racing. All new intake valves, springs, guides, and a grind...no cracks....800 bucks.....and there were 6 of them. Brer's recommendation seems reasonable.
wertygrog
hey Brer, is this service still being offered? I have a pair of 2.0L heads that'll need a full enchilada in a few months, and your friend's prices seem very reasonable.

thanks,
brent
eric914
QUOTE(wertygrog @ Dec 27 2008, 02:59 PM) *

hey Brer, is this service still being offered? I have a pair of 2.0L heads that will need a full enchilada in a few months, and your friend's prices seem very reasonable.

thanks,
brent

I have a set of 2L heads ready to ship now. Is it possible to get the valve size bumped with the full enchilada service? Also his sight says that they exchange heads. Is there a way we can get our heads back?
brer
QUOTE(eric914 @ Jan 15 2009, 08:25 PM) *

QUOTE(wertygrog @ Dec 27 2008, 02:59 PM) *

hey Brer, is this service still being offered? I have a pair of 2.0L heads that will need a full enchilada in a few months, and your friend's prices seem very reasonable.

thanks,
brent

I have a set of 2L heads ready to ship now. Is it possible to get the valve size bumped with the full enchilada service? Also his sight says that they exchange heads. Is there a way we can get our heads back?

You will recieve your own heads back as long as they can be redone.
Larger valves for 2L heads will be considered an extra but I can find out how much if you like.

Actually, I just dropped off 3 sets of my own heads, another person brought four sets by today for me to take over... so i think its safe to say there will be a run of type 4 heads in the next week or so.

Deal is on again for those insterested.
PM me, or if you call Don directly tell him you read about it here.

chowtime.gif
arvcube
Might be time for some mexican...2-4 week turnaround...I'd be fine with 4-6 week turnaround...give me some time to build up the ends biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.