Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My steel flare install diary
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wes V
Submitted for your approval.

Here is a link to my "flare diary" showing how I installed a set of AA steel flares.

link to my Flare Diary

Now I'm not a professional body man and sure not a "metal shaper" like some of the artists that post on this site. I'm just a guy with a welder and a fair amount of time.

Wes
NoEcm
Nice
g911
QUOTE(Wes V @ Aug 3 2008, 07:12 PM) *

Here is a link to my "flare diary" showing how I installed a set of AA steel flares.

link to my Flare Diary

Now I'm not a professional body man and sure not a "metal shaper" like some of the artists that post on this site. I'm just a guy with a welder and a fair amount of time.

Wes

Very nice work.
Sleepin
Very cool and informative! Thank you!
roadster fan
Looks like a fun project. Thanks for sharing your experiences with the flares, as that is my winter project.

Enjoyed reading thru your 914a site, keep up the great work!

Jim
Wes V
Thanks for the positive responses!

Wes
Root_Werks
Yes, very cool! welder.gif
STL914
QUOTE(Wes V @ Aug 3 2008, 07:12 PM) *

link to my Flare Diary

Wes

You forgot the word "talented" from your bio.

I saw that you had a pretty substantial dolly that your car was sitting on. Did you build that yourself? Care to share with those of us who may want to duplicate something similar?

Gary
PanelBilly
Did you address rolling the wheelwell lip under. I didn't think to do this until I had it ready for paint. I've spend many hours re-fixing the damage I did from the last minute change. I worked on it Saturday morning and now only have one more flair to finish fixing before I prime again.
Wes V
STL914;

Here is a link to the page covering the "platform". It's similar to one built by Jeff Hail (on this site)

The work platform page

PanelBilly;

I haven't thought about rolling the lip. What I was planning on was to trim them back to a more reasonable length (width?). I'm thinking of about half of what they already are.

Wes
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(Wes V @ Aug 3 2008, 08:12 PM) *

link to my Flare Diary

Wes

Give this man a hand. Wes gets my stamp of approval for workmanship and thinking on the fly when thrown a curveball in the middle of the flare game.
Stand up and take a bow Wes! You earned it.
Wes V
Jeff;

Thanks for the comments and also for the plans for that "work platform"!

There are a couple people on this board that I'm conserned will "poo-poo" the usage of bondo. (it's necessary for some of us)

I just gave a big sigh of relief.

Wes
jaminM3
Awesome! I need to do this too. I have the flares and the welder I just need the time and talent. smile.gif
retrofit
Wes
Very kind of you to put this together. It's a pain to do pics as you go-camera work gets in the way-but hey you got evidence my man!
Thanks
Allen
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(Wes V @ Aug 4 2008, 07:42 PM) *

Jeff;

Thanks for the comments and also for the plans for that "work platform"!

There are a couple people on this board that I'm conserned will "poo-poo" the usage of bondo. (it's necessary for some of us)

I just gave a big sigh of relief.

Wes

No one here is going to poo-poo you for using bondo. If they do they will hear from me. Filler has its place. The only difference between filler and metal glaze is thickness and I use metal glaze all the time. Filler is not taboo and it is used on the highest quality restorations day in day out. Metal finishing isn't easy. It is an art that takes time an patience. In my many years of metal working I have gone back and re-worked many a panel until it was perfect. After a quarter century I am learning to now work with carbon fiber which is a new cake to bake with new ingredients. Proof that an old dog can learn new tricks.

Credit is due on your project. I have been watching your site for a few months now. You have a talent that will only get better with time. You have a good eye and a natural ability that is rare. Most of all you aren't afraid to jump in head first. I salute you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.