Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cylinder heads disaster or ... not ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pat4
Just removed engine from my 914 and discovered that :

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

What do you think of that ? Can you suggest any medicine ? Are they rebuildable ?
Jake Raby
You ingested something....

Headflow masters can make thet look like new again. He has repaired heads that were totally destroyed for me...
pat4
The previous owner told me that he got a dropped seat in past life. no doubt !

In fact, they do not seems cracked. Can you tel me where I can find Headflow masters please ?
Dave_Darling
Get ready for international shipping charges... They're in San Diego, California. http://www.audiracvws.com

Since you're in La Belle France, you might check with Mittelmotor (I think they're at http://www.mittlemotor.de ) to see if they have a shop that can weld that up and make it right again.

--DD
pat4
Thanks for link Dave,

Of course I would prefer to find a solution in "old europe" (we also have machine shops !) but I do not want to give my heads to a guy who never saw any 914 engine...

At this time my question is to choose before welding the heads or resurface + rework the 4 chambers to obtain equal cc's in all of them...

I have heard bad feedbacks about welding heads ...
lmcchesney
Excuse me. I must be missing something.
Were not the 914's made in Old Europe?
L. McChesney
Bleyseng
Yep, but the repairing of the aluminum heads was started in Calif by EMPI. VW just use to toss them out and install new ones, EMPI started rebuilding em by installing new valve guides, welding cracks etc...
Send them to Headflowmasters.....

Geoff
pat4
QUOTE(lmcchesney @ Jan 31 2004, 05:28 AM)
Excuse me. I must be missing something.
Were not the 914's made in Old Europe?

Do not forget that 2/3 of 914 production was sold in the USA.

In the facts, it is near impossible to find a good condition or a NOS 2.0 head at correct price in Germany or in France. So I will have to repair mine and I have to choose between resurfacing the crashed zones or welding + machining at stock level.

So I will ask today to a VW performance shop that can do that. I will tell you and send pics when done

Regards,
Dave_Darling
Mittelmotor and Ahnendorp (BAS) are both well-regarded Type IV shops. They're in Germany, so your dealings with them will be long-distance, but at least they aren't 1/3 of the way around the world from you. Worth at least checking into, I think.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.