Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ot: kid from work got hit by a car yesterday
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
messix
a 22 yr old guy i work with was struck by a 16 yr old girl in a new tahoe while he was out jogging on a country road. he didn't see it comming as she came from behind at 30-40 mph and was tossed quite a ways. she didn't hit the brakes till after impact.

how bad was he injured?

this kid is the luckyest kid i know!

bumps and lumps and road rash! No broken anything!

he doesn't remember anything intill he was in the ambulance half way the the hospital 20 miles a way.

he thinks he's gonna be back to work later this week after getting leased from the hospital today! right!

but i'll be rubbing his head for good luck every day when he's back to work.
PeeGreen 914
I hope he is doing fine and doesn't feel this ten years from now.
Cap'n Krusty
Lotta people call that "winning the lottery the hard way" ..........................
PeeGreen 914
only if he takes the appropriate steps to make sure he doesn't get screwed though.
hcdmueller
I am sure most people here realize it but your friend at work will almost certainly feel this in a few years. I am already dealing with some problems from an "incident" in december 2006. Just remind him to keep track of the little things that are different. They all add up in a bad way. I am glad to hear that he is okay. I hate the hospital.
BMXerror
Wow... Lucky guy! A guy I used to work with was killed a couple weeks ago when he got hit by a drunk driver who was driving... I think it was a Tahoe too. The irony is that he was drunk himself, but was walking home from the bar because he didn't want to drive in that shape. I was bummin. He was a funny guy. Bet your guy thinks the grass is greener and the sky is bluer now.
Mark D.
davep
I hate to say lawsuit, however he better get compensation NOW for the effects that WILL come to haunt him later.

My dad got fishhooks caught in his hand as a teenager; by the time he was 75 his hand curled into a fist, and he could not grip anything with it. They tried surgery, and that only made it worse.

My son-in-law had a motorcycle accident 25 years ago; he is now suffering major problems from that, and is unable to work. Mostly his hands and back cannot take a load.

In summary, it is not the initial damage that is caused that is the greatest concern, but it is the future health that has been compromised.
SirAndy
QUOTE(messix @ Aug 4 2008, 12:10 PM) *

he didn't see it comming as she came from behind at 30-40 mph

That's why you teach your kids to always walk or run *against* traffic!

That way, there's at least a chance that you see it coming ...
sad.gif Andy
messix
yeah he's a tough kid. he'll be advised to lawyer up and see his doc. his mom was there when we saw him this morning and i'm sure she'll try to guide him to do so.

i have had problems from a rear ender 5 years ago, and because i didn't "play" the injured victom game of going to the doctor all the time 'cause i hurt and went back to work 'cause i had to keep my job, and qiut phys therapy when the crack pot said he didn't think i was gonna get any better and i should just chalk it up to "normal aches and pains of not being as young as i used to be. the settlement was a joke! my lawyer said that you have to play the game of doctors and meds and pain and missing work 'cause your in pain, not to go to work when your hurting.

sounds like it's a game set up for the scammers to get it easy.
messix
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 4 2008, 04:06 PM) *

sad.gif Andy

runnig towards traffic on the inside of a blind curve is not so good either.
Gint
I sure hope the teenage girlie driver got her text message out OK.
mack914-6
it's always about distractions when you are a inexperienced driver.....
ConeDodger
If he doesn't remember anything until he was in the ambulance he has a head injury. Hopefully, they did a CT scan. Minimum he has a concussion.
messix
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 4 2008, 04:16 PM) *

If he doesn't remember anything until he was in the ambulance he has a head injury. Hopefully, they did a CT scan. Minimum he has a concussion.

he has had 2 cat scans, 1 yeasterday and then another this morning. he has had some hematoma that is bettter now. brain gets a little bruised up from bouncing off what ever, no one saw what he hit as he bounced along to where he was found.
hcdmueller
The injured victim game sucks but in the real world it seems to be necessary. Since I am in the military I can go to the doctor quite a bit and never see a bill. I had a lot of problems and they are just finally getting solved.

I hope your friend will see the doctor if he starts having any problems. I am a big advocate of getting medical help for this type of stuff. I lost a lot of time in the past year in a half. I just thought the aches and pains were normal. Turns out a little help makes a big difference.
SirAndy
QUOTE(messix @ Aug 4 2008, 03:09 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 4 2008, 04:06 PM) *

sad.gif Andy

runnig towards traffic on the inside of a blind curve is not so good either.

Still better than getting hit from behind with NO warning ...

And you should never walk or run on a street where there's no room on the side. If you run on the pavement, all bets are off ...
shades.gif Andy
Dr Evil
Two kid vs cars in the ED today alone. One hit by cellphone chick turning down his alley, the second I am not sure as they were both OK and I went back to the PICU.

I hope all hospitals set injuries like this up with ortho, neuro, and PT/OT consults. We do.
Zaney
Lucky for him that he did not win the 'Golden Spatula' award. Another problem for joggers and bicyclists are the extended mirrors on some trucks. Seen a couple near decapitations from that nasty scene.
Hope that kid buys a lottery ticket now to pay for the aches and pains later in life. birthday3.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.