Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oh the things PO's do...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
biosurfer1
PO: Derrrr, I don't feel like fixing the battery tray correctly Earl, what do you think I should do??

Earl: Duhhh, why dont you just put this steel thing on there and glue it into place??

Click to view attachment

PO: Uhhhh, but the glue isn't holding!! Maybe I'll just screw it into the body!

Click to view attachment

mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

biosurfer1
I guess I'm just pissed because I found this rust...some of it is ok (suprisingly the longs are solid)...other areas had wonderful holes mad.gif

Click to view attachment
biosurfer1
I'm guessing the PO did put Por-15 or something else on the longs because I hit them with a wire wheel for quite a bit and couldn't get past the black stuff under the surface rust ("OK" areas) so thats good, but the other panels will have to be replaced.

I thought about just taking a wire wheel to everything and spraying Por-15 and not messing with it but I can't live with holes so I'm just taking it to a professional.

Anyone know of a good welder in the Roseville/Sacramento area that can do this? Would prefer a mobile guy since the motor is out but I could probably find a trailer to haul it someplace (Napa is just too far)...I just want to get it back on the road!!
3d914
Brett, I feel your pain man.
championgt1
glued and screwed..........................classic!
biosurfer1
I just dont get it, a new battery tray and support is not that expensive or hard to replace, but instead people decide to do this...

very frustrating
watsonrx13
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Aug 5 2008, 12:30 AM) *

I just dont get it, a new battery tray and support is not that expensive or hard to replace, but instead people decide to do this...

very frustrating

Here's a link to my website showing what the PO did with a new battery tray and stand.... blink.gif

-- Rob
biosurfer1
geeze, whats with PO's and band-aid repairs?!?
Wes V
I think there should be a "PO Hell" string.

Other than venting, it would actually serve the purpose of letting potential buyers know what to look for!

Wes
IronHillRestorations
Here's what I ran into a few weeks ago.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...hl=battery+tray
biosurfer1
Perry,

I saw that thread and thus the reason I'm not going to try and fix this myself. I have welded before but just for a while in one of my college classes, and none of it looked pretty. I'm sure I could manage something, but it would look like crap and probably not be correct and I HATE fixing things twice.

Now the trouble is finding a guy to do this work at my house since the engine is already out.

Finding a welder:easy...finding an automotive repair guy:easy...finding a guy who can weld rust repair on a 914:not so easy:(
IronHillRestorations
With a gas MIG welder and some practice you could do a good repair.

The main thing about welding this kind of repair is the practice, and then patience to not go too fast. Also good prep work, and careful fitment of your repair pieces.

Wes V
QUOTE(9146986 @ Aug 5 2008, 12:41 PM) *

Also good prep work

When doing this sort of thing, it's ALL in the prep work!!!

You can't weld to rust!!! (BTDT) It HAS to be shiny metal.

You can't weld to POR15!

It's even a pain in the ass to weld to "weld-through" primer (it doesn't like to start the arc). (if I'm doing a rossette weld, I scratch off the primer with a dental pick before hand)

If you trust me on these points, you will do fine.

Wes
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.