Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cross-posting the same question on several forums is not cool...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
Please be considerate of peoples time...

Use the search function first, it is very, very fast and accurate. 99% of the time the question has already been asked and answered multiple times.

Most members here and on the other 914 forums all surf between the various forums anyways, seeing the same post repeated multiple times everywhere is not productive.

We all want to help you and give you the benefit of our experience, but spending 5-10 minutes answering a question, just to click onto another forum and see the same question by the same person is...headbang.gif

biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 4 2008, 09:19 PM) *

We all want to help you and give you the benefit of our experience, but spending 5-10 minutes answering a question, just to click onto another forum and see the same question by the same person is...headbang.gif

agree.gif
biosurfer1
fast, yes...accurate, not so sure. I have a tough time searching for things that require multiple terms. Just tonight, I wanted to look for a thread on how to remove rocker panels. I know someone out there has asked how to do it before, but I searched for "how to remove rocker panels" in quotes which returned nothing and without quotes which returned almost every post that has any of those words, which does me no good. I know a good search engine is tough to get to work great, but I would have though when I search for it in quotes, it may not find that exact term, but it would have ben helpful to show results that have the most of the search words grouped together.

I guess I just don't search enough here to know the ins and out of this search engine, but I dont have much luck with it
CliffBraun
My take on this is that people who are new don't know that the membership on the forums is mostly the same. Thus it makes sense for them to ask the same question everywhere.

In addition, the search engine for these forums is terrible. I generally know how to find the information I want, and oftentimes google is more useful for stuff than the built in search. Even basic things where I KNOW that the terms I entered occurred in the thread don't show up sometimes.

I generally don't ask questions, nor do I cross post (post, even) that much. I just felt I'd give some argument for the other side.
SirAndy
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Aug 4 2008, 09:38 PM) *

I guess I just don't search enough here to know the ins and out of this search engine, but I dont have much luck with it

putting something in quotes will search for the EXACT phrase you put in ...

in your case, it would only return posts where someone actually *exactly* wrote those words in that order.
"how to remove rocker panels"

if you remove the quotes the search will return any post that has *either* one of the words in it, which you can imagine is probably 90% of all posts.

now, for example, if you want to search for posts that have "remove" AND "rocker panels" in them, you need to add a + directly in front of each word or phrase ...

+remove +"rocker panels"

will return only those posts that include both, the word "remove" and the phrase "rocker panels" ...

btw. this is *standard* search engine behavior ...
shades.gif Andy
computers4kids
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Aug 4 2008, 10:38 PM) *

fast, yes...accurate, not so sure. I have a tough time searching for things that require multiple terms.

agree.gif
As already stated Google is your friend. Use the advanced search and choose to search just the 914world domain.
watsonrx13
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Aug 5 2008, 12:38 AM) *

fast, yes...accurate, not so sure. I have a tough time searching for things that require multiple terms. Just tonight, I wanted to look for a thread on how to remove rocker panels. I know someone out there has asked how to do it before, but I searched for "how to remove rocker panels" in quotes which returned nothing and without quotes which returned almost every post that has any of those words, which does me no good. I know a good search engine is tough to get to work great, but I would have though when I search for it in quotes, it may not find that exact term, but it would have ben helpful to show results that have the most of the search words grouped together.

Brett, for another site, you can check out my site. I've tried to document the steps to disassemble and reassemble these cars. I haven't done everything yet, but you can check it out and maybe it will give you more information.

BTW, I agree with the searching first...

-- Rob
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 4 2008, 09:46 PM) *

in your case, it would only return posts where someone actually *exactly* wrote those words in that order.

if you remove the quotes the search will return any post that has *either* one of the words in it, which you can imagine is probably 90% of all posts.

now, for example, if you want to search for posts that have "remove" AND "rocker panels" in them, you need to add a + directly in front of each word or phrase ...

+remove +"rocker panels"

will return only those posts that include both, the word "remove" and the phrase "rocker panels" ...

shades.gif Andy

While it may be standard search engine behavior, doesn't mean everyone knows that. I love this site, but find it real hard to search for info on. Maybe a little "How To Search" in the 914world FAQ might help? confused24.gif
Gint
The original issue is not a problem for me since this is the only 914 site I frequent.

However...

Search instructions have been posted many times and are also available right on the 914world.com Search Page. I see complaints over and over again that indicate the member has not read the information available in the "Advanced Usage Help" as listed in the link in the search page. Look in the middle of this image for the link as it appears on the search page.

Click to view attachment

Clicking that link pops up a box like this with instructions. If your web browser blocks pop-up windows, configure it to allow them for this site.

Click to view attachment
r_towle
This tends to come up time and time again.
If you had bothered to use search, you would find this topis has been covered in the past, many times.

Lets take a real world look at your request for someone to not post the same question in multiple forums.

So, we need to choose a specific forum and stick with it, no matter how precise the answer to the question is???

Is there only one good BMW forum, Mercedes, Volvo....???? Take your pic of forums.

Currently I can think of at least 10 forums that focus on the 914.
Your opinion is that we should only ask questions on one forum?

This is to keep you from having to (god forbid) look at, and actually see, the title of a thread that may happen to be the same as it has been phrased on another forum???

I think when I see this request being made, and its been made more than once, and on many forums...IT just makes me want to laugh.

Use search Jeff. The results from this topic are available on more than one site. This is a repeat of an old thread.

I also suggest that if you dont like to see a question appear on more than one board...just visit only one board.

This is an open process that has a point. To get a real and validated answer some people need many opinions. Newby's even moreso.
You cannot sit there and think that just because YOU say that a certain answer it correct that a Newby (who has no idea who you are) Must trust you and your answer and not post anywhere else???

The more I think about this the more I am amazed that an educated group of people would think that there is anything wrong at all with posting to multiple locations.

Rich
ericread
I really don't agree with the premise of this thread.

On Saturday, I was half-way through replacing my steering rack and ran into troubles. I initially posted on this site. Unfortunately, many of the regulars seemed to be out driving their cars, which I have no bitch about whatsoever as that's the reason most of us are members of this BBS.

Getting no responses, I posted the same question on the "other" 914 BBS. In this case I got a quick response, which allowed me to go back downstairs and continue my work.

I agree that there are many of the same members on both of these BBS'. However, there are many participants that are exclusive to each BBS. When I've got my front suspension hanging down on a Saturday afternoon and need help, if I don't see a response on one BBS I will continue to go to the other BBS.

By the same token, if I see that someone has requested help one one BBS, and the information has been posted on another BBS, I have no problem in directing the person to the other BBS.

This is all a cooperative effort. I see many of you posting responses on several of the major 914 BBS', and your efforts are greatly appreciated.

However; If this thread is really a thread about searching before posting a question, then I agree.

Eric Read
URY914
I think Eric has a point. If it's 2:00 am and you need some help you're going to seek it everywhere you can think of.

I saw his steering rack post on both boards. I opened one but not the other. Not a big deal.

Using the search function is another issue. I do which it was used more.
ericread
II guess I would add that if you're going to post on multiple sites, please use the same exact title. That way we can all see it's a cross post withour opening and re-reading the thread.

Just a thought... idea.gif

Eric
SGB
When I see the same question posted in multiple locations, I answer it wherever I happen to be and let the individual find the answer.
Wes V
There are two issues brought up here and I'm not going to comment on the search function, other than; Ya, you should use it.

As for posting a question on both boards; I see nothing wrong with it. Doing it gets the biggest chance of getting the answer needed. The only way this isn't true is if you assume that everybody that goes to this site also goes to the other.

If you feel a need to add to the same question posted on the other site, then just cut and paste your response.

I normally only add responses to "double asked" questions once. The assumption is that the poster is monitoring responses at both sites.

Wes

(I wonder if this string is also posted on that other site??)
URY914
BTW,

Jeff, you really need to post this thread on all the boards to get the word out. biggrin.gif
rebelmdot
Here is another thought as well.

If you see the question icon and you see a question in the title that you know has been asked before, if this pisses you off, DON"T reply, DON'T even read it. By getting angry and scathing someone that may have gone through 27 pages of the search engine and did not find what they are looking for helps no one. You do not have to read the post, nor do you have to answer it, therefore, none of your time is wasted. I asked a question the other day that I know for a fact had been asked 1000 times, but the articles I found in the search funtion did not fully answer my question. Eric Shea was kind enough to go over some of it on the phone and it was great advice. Had I not asked the question out of fear of being slammed by someone who has been on the board for 5 years and is having a bad day, I would not have gotten to the ultimate conclusion that helped me. And isn't this for fun and for helping? Having said that I count on you guys that have been here for a while. You have to realize that not all of us out here were born with a wrench in our hands and are just learning. But we still have the same love for the cars that you do.

Just my .02 and HO
jasons
I suggested using Xpost: or XP: in the topic header if its a cross post. Seems easy enough. We do it with OT: FS: WTB: etc...
Lavanaut
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 4 2008, 10:19 PM) *

Most members here and on the other 914 forums all surf between the various forums anyways, seeing the same post repeated multiple times everywhere is not productive.

Not productive for whom Jeff? I think you'd probably agree that there are lots of people that only hang out in one place or the other, and many that fall into those separate groups have a wealth of knowledge. So while you may not like seeing the same topic two places, saying that it's "not productive" seems off-base. Call it annoying if you want, but I agree that what others have said - if it bothers you that much just pick one site and stick with it. Based on your own logic, you only need to be in one forum anyway right? confused24.gif

Search is a good thing, agreed there.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 4 2008, 10:46 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

Not picking a fight Andy, but I'm curious - "standard" as defined by...? Most folks out there are familiar only with modern search engines like Google, Yahoo, etc. and those sites don't work in this way (they can but don't by default). So to me it's not surprising that people don't get it.

Reid
736conver
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 4 2008, 11:19 PM) *

Please be considerate of peoples time...

Use the search function first, it is very, very fast and accurate. 99% of the time the question has already been asked and answered multiple times.

biggrin.gif

Jeff,

You should do a search this has been talked about before.

Really I dont understand why people complain about this, other then it takes up space for storage.

[quote]We all want to help you and give you the benefit of our experience, but spending 5-10 minutes answering a question, just to click onto another forum and see the same question by the same person is...headbang.gif[quote]

Then just tell them you answered it on whatever site you posted you answer. Paste and copy standard computer functions.

There are always going to be newbies and there are always going to be repeat questions. Really how many times have we talked about this already.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Aug 5 2008, 09:43 AM) *

Not picking a fight Andy, but I'm curious - "standard" as defined by...? Most folks out there are familiar only with modern search engines like Google, Yahoo, etc. and those sites don't work in this way (they can but don't by default).

Google made their own standard. Search engines have been around for a long time. Programmers have used code to search databases long before the founders of google were born. Just because goole is huge today doesn't mean they are the only ones or invented search.

type.gif Andy
Elliot Cannon
Is cross posting a real problem or is it just "not cool"? This thread is a waste of time. Who the f*ck cares if there are cross posts? Many people out there who enjoy these cars may be somewhat mechanically challenged and even more are computer challenged. (I include myself in the latter group). Are we then going to make this a RULE? Cross posting is forbidden??!! Bigger problems exist and even more await. If things like this irritate you, just IGNORE IT.
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 5 2008, 02:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Aug 5 2008, 09:43 AM) *

Not picking a fight Andy, but I'm curious - "standard" as defined by...? Most folks out there are familiar only with modern search engines like Google, Yahoo, etc. and those sites don't work in this way (they can but don't by default).

Google made their own standard. Search engines have been around for a long time. Programmers have used code to search databases long before the founders of google were born. Just because goole is huge today doesn't mean they are the only ones or invented search.

type.gif Andy

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

Just because Google has set the expectation level to XXXXX, does not mean that its correct...its just what came out of a meeting.

If Andy had a spare million or two kicking around I am sure he could write a kick ass natural language search engine that used AI to read your thoughts as you typed.... biggrin.gif

Rich
Lavanaut
Of course I agree Rich and Andy, but I'm sure you've noticed that most if not all of the major search engines share the same syntax. Of course it's not "right" just because Google says it is. That's not the point. The point is that Google (or Yahoo, or whatever) is what most people know, including most people on this site. It doesn't matter if programmers have been using XYZ tool to query databases for decades. Nobody would expect a 914world member to build SQL search queries, right? Programmers are in the minority on the 'Net anyway.

Don't misunderstand me here guys: I'm just saying that most people on this site, and most future noobs, will be familiar with Google and will approach the site's search engine from there. Hell, kids born 10 years ago (now probably hacking my websites dry.gif) only know Google.

I've gotten completely side tracked here. I think my point was that there isn't a "standard" search syntax, but if there were to be one named today by a 'Net authority...I bet Google's would be it.

Me? I just want to find topics in the garage with "914-6" in the title. Even cross-posted ones. biggrin.gif

type.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Aug 5 2008, 11:09 AM) *

I just want to find topics in the garage with "914-6" in the title.

That's actually more of a problem with mySQL and the way it runs "Full Text" search. I'm by no means a mySQL expert, but it seems there is a lack of indexing support for numbers versus letters. There might be some setting somewhere to fix this, but i haven't found it yet. (Haven't really looked for it either) ...

bye1.gif Andy
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 5 2008, 09:54 AM) *

BTW,

Jeff, you really need to post this thread on all the boards to get the word out. biggrin.gif

Great idea Paul! biggrin.gif

What happened is, I received a private email asking a technical question, took 10 minutes to respond, then later found the same question posted in a few other places...how would that have made you feel? (rhetorical - no repsonse necessary) Its not in my chemistry to routinely ignore many private emails sent to me.

No animosity or bad vibes coming from this direction gang...life is too short...if I could close this thread I would. Nothing to see here folks, lets move on.
ericread
Jeff;

The point you make is valid. A PM then a post is just an abuse of friendship, and not called for. But it is also probably self-correcting. I doubt you will spend 10 minutes in a PM to that same person again...

I also think you are right on target regarding the use of the search features. We need to remind all of us from time to time to not be shy about using the search feature.

Eric
rascobo
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Aug 5 2008, 05:25 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 4 2008, 09:46 PM) *

+remove +"rocker panels"

shades.gif Andy

While it may be standard search engine behavior, doesn't mean everyone knows that. I love this site, but find it real hard to search for info on. Maybe a little "How To Search" in the 914world FAQ might help? confused24.gif

Uh Huh! Uh Huh! agree.gif agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.