Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type I woes, or how I boogered up BAD TUB....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
In the ever ongoing saga of life....the dishwasher taking a crap, punching the ice maker because it pissed me off and ripping it off the freezer skin, BAD TUB decided to start running like doody....

Symptoms...

1) low oil pressure at idle....so I started using straight Valvoline racing 50 weight. Problem gone....
2) transition issues from idle to WOT, stumble an a roar....cranked up the boost...WTF, right?
3) low boost, noise when cold...pulled valve cover and found head stud bolts in covers...oh CRAP.....
4) Torqued studs on bottom to recommended specs, went up top did those, came back and the lowers were loose again......

Pull the engine time....geez, picked the wrong day to quit smoking Crank.....

Engine torn down....the four puck clutch was too heavy for the application and hammered the end seal, screwed up the bearing and galled the oil passages, low pressure flattened the cam and took the lifter with it....ya think the burnouts had anything to do with it????

Ordered a stock style clutch disc, new PP, and TO. New studs from CB Performance that are specific to turbo applications and hopefully won't stretch, new head shims, cam and lifters....should have it back together for $800ish including the align bore....did some clean up on the heads...the exhaust guides were a little loose so redid them. Good thing, they showed no evidence of pinging or any other damage...

Dishwasher...$260. Sears will warranty the freezer.... aktion035.gif

Life is getting better....
r_towle
It will keep happening till you replace the loose nut behind the wheel.

Rich
sww914
Well, at least type-1 stuff is only .0025% the price of type 4 stuff.
r_towle
He tee's it up....its a high soft one....

MORE MONEY FOR PIZZA!!!!!
Joe Bob
Feel the love....engine, at least the bottom end will be done on Friday. Install would be done by Sunday but I have an Autocross....priorities.
Joe Bob
News flash....Sears gave me a 1900 credit and I got a new 'fridge for zero bucks outta my pocket. Cool....old one goes in garage and the old, old one goes to the recycle.....

I get through the AX on Sunday and BAD TUB goes back on the road....
tdgray
See Mr hairy butt... sometimes things work out.

As Dire Straights sang.. sometime your the louisville slugger and sometimes your the ball biggrin.gif
Crazyhippy
Is that a Sooby chant i hear from the Peanut Gallery?
Joe Bob
Could ya fit one in there? Pretty freaking tight....plus, where the hell do I put the radia-torthingy???
r_towle
Yes it fits...there are already a few out there.

Radiator goes up front in the battery box area.

Rich
Joe Bob
Geez, what a night. Got the motor in and lit it off.....fucking thermostat failed and I blew out an external cooler.....cleaned that mess up and in the middle of burning in the cam, a loose wire contacted a hot header pipe and I lost the 10 gauge wiring harness......

SO...anyone know where I can get 10 gauge automotive wire and self-sealing or self-fusing tape that is oil and heat-resistent for automotive applications?

headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.