Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: look what came out of my head!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
exhaust stud. nut was (is) totally seized. pb blasted it for 2 days, thought i had just the nut (it wasn't spinning freely, but neither did it take too much torque), took the whole thing out. gosh darnit..

thing is, the threads still look really good, i.e. nothing should be stripped... is it wrong, immoral, hard on my car, etc. to just screw this back into my head with the new exhaust?

any/all suggestions wanted.
Jake Raby
Remove the nut, and install the stud coated with Loctite. Then when you reinstall the nuts coat the studs with "Milk of magnesia" best damn anti seize in the world!

we used it on ignitor plugs and combustor assemblies on Turbine engines- talkin about hot, average temp is 1800 degrees!
nebreitling
cool, thanks jake
garyh
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Jan 30 2004, 12:51 PM)
exhaust stud. nut was (is) totally seized. pb blasted it for 2 days, thought i had just the nut (it wasn't spinning freely, but neither did it take too much torque), took the whole thing out. gosh darnit..

thing is, the threads still look really good, i.e. nothing should be stripped... is it wrong, immoral, hard on my car, etc. to just screw this back into my head with the new exhaust?

any/all suggestions wanted.

A new stud is what, three bucks? (IIRC, that's what RB charged me for them).

Do you -really- (really?) need to save the cost of two gallons of gas that badly?
mightyohm
Don't feel bad. When I stripped down my last engine all but two of the studs came out.
nebreitling
QUOTE(garyh @ Jan 30 2004, 01:55 PM)
A new stud is what, three bucks? (IIRC, that's what RB charged me for them).

Do you -really- (really?) need to save the cost of two gallons of gas that badly?

ha! no, i'm not that cheap --- hell, new exhaust studs all around!

although i am saving up for a car wash....
nebreitling
jkeyzer - how's your 2056 coming along? seeing as how we're so close, i'd like to come by and check it out when you get to the reassebly stage..
mightyohm
It's going to be a while yet. I got the pistons this week but I still need to get the cylinders bored out. I haven't decided on a cam or what to do about the lifters yet.
The heads should be back from the machine shop in a couple weeks but I have a lot of other things to do before I am ready to put it back together.

This is my first time rebuilding any engine so it takes me a long time to do anything. Most of the time I have no idea what I am supposed to be doing. smile.gif
redshift
_Sounds_ *Like* (Me)

Always.

M
garyh
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Jan 30 2004, 03:19 PM)
QUOTE(garyh @ Jan 30 2004, 01:55 PM)
A new stud is what, three bucks?  (IIRC, that's what RB charged me for them).

ha! no, i'm not that cheap --- hell, new exhaust studs all around!

although i am saving up for a car wash....

I think I have 8 new ones in my parts bin. I know I've got 1/2 lb of the copper nuts.

What's the import/export procedure for the People's Republic of Stanfurd? cool_shades.gif
Sammy
Jake, shhhh! Milk of magnesia is supposed to be a secret.
Oh well, the cat's out of the bag. I agree it's the best stuff for high temp, especially for very exotic metals and stainless. I can vouch for it up to 1400 degrees F for 5 years.
Just buy a bottle at the local drug store and paint it on. We usually let it sit open overnight or longer so it will thicken up a bit.
DNHunt
Man that picture looks familiar. I've seen way too many exhaust studs in my hands lately. wacko.gif I would advise you to check the threads in the head very carefully. I had one come out with just the tiniest bit of aluminum in the threads of the stud. I thought that doesn't look too bad so I just put in a new one. Unfortunately, the threads were galled and I couldn't get the HE to stay seated. I chased that exhaust leak off and on for over a year. headbang.gif I finally had to redrill and retap to 9mm to get the stud to hold. From now on, if I'm at all doubtful of the way the stud snugs in the head I'm taking care of it before I put all the exhaust on.

Dave
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jan 30 2004, 01:57 PM)
Remove the nut, and install the stud coated with Loctite. Then when you reinstall the nuts coat the studs with "Milk of magnesia" best damn anti seize in the world!

we used it on ignitor plugs and combustor assemblies on Turbine engines- talkin about hot, average temp is 1800 degrees!

What strength Loctite? Medium or the extra firm ass stuff? I got one that I'm replacing. Also, what's the best way to install?

I did the double nut thingy and the nuts always seemed to work their way down the stud. Then, the stud would come back out when I tried to remove the nuts. I don't think the stud ever made it as far as it was supposed to. Never would tighten up.

What's the secret???

.........b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.