Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Only 3 O'clock but I'll have a beer to celebrate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
I had the bad boy of exhaust leaks. I couldn't get it sealed. Finally got so pissed off I was doing pull ups on my heat exchangers yesterday. I was either gonna bust something or get the things seated. Nothing busted so I waited until today to give it a try on a spirited drive. Plenty of downhills, lots of curvies and rough road and nothing but a nice low exhaust note. No more popcorn popping behind me. T'was sweet music to my ears.

Not sure chin ups are the right way to do this but it worked for me.

Dave
nebreitling
nice job!! i was just doing pull ups on my HE stubs too!! (trying to get the damn things off)
olav
Way to go!!

I hate exhaust leaks.
rhodyguy
what did you do right? just loosen and tighten until it worked? i took the day off yest.

kevin
DNHunt
Kevin

I loosened the hanger at the muffler first so all that was supporting the exhaust was the exhaust studs. Then I grabbed hold of one HE and pushed up and pulled down and tried to twist it and just wrestled the sh*t out of it. Then I did the other one. Then I took up any slack with the nuts on the studs. Then I repeated the same thing and beat on them with a rubber mallet. Then took up, then wrestled and beat them over and over until I was sure they were dead. First time I ever killed anything except a trout with my hands. It was murder. Got the dents in the heat exchangers and collector to prove it.

No kidding, I was going to get them to seat or bust something trying. I really expected that I would break a stud. If I was you I wouldn't go quite that far YET.

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.