Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Craftsman replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Doug Leggins
I have quite a few Craftsman tools. Of course have always heard/seen the craftsman "guaranteed forever" line on the commercials and packaging. Kinda thought that there had to be a catch to allow for them to not replace tools that were "abused". But, much to my suprise they replaced 2 small tools that I broke by doing dumbassstuff.

I took in a 30mm socket and a 1/2" to 3/8" socket adapter. I broke the 30mm socket (non impact) by abusing it with my impact wrench - rember that damn castle nut! I twisted the adapter into 2 pcs using a 4ft cheater bar trying to remove a lug nut.

No questions were asked by the counterperson about how I broke the tools. In fact they were really pretty happy to go get the new replacements and bring them to me. They even thanked me for bringing in the broken tools and getting them replaced.

This was the first time that I ever took a broken craftsman tool back for replacement. The ease of getting the broken tool replaced suprised the hell out of me and put a smile on my face.

Now i get to test them again. Last night I broke a strap wrench trying to get a sleeve off of the A-arm. (still working on getting the Mueller front needle bearings installed).

You guys ever returned craftsman tools? ever have them not replace the tool?
Dave-O
I put a 2' pipe on the end of a 3/8" socket (don't ask...it was a frustrating night smash.gif ). The handle bent about 40 degrees. They didn't ask any questions, just gave a strange look and gave me a new part. Needless to say i was impressed. cool.gif

David
URY914
Funny you should ask...

Last week I took back an inspection mirror. You know, the one that is oval shaped and will fit in the fan housing hole. The mirror had broken and I thought I'd just buy a new one, they won't have a warrenty on a glass part, would they? I took the broken one with me so I'd get the right one. I went to the counter and the kid says, "You returning it?" I said "Sure, is it covered?" He looks at the back of the packaging and it's 100% covered. No other questions. He puts it in a bag, and he even said "Think you" clap56.gif

Paul
lmcchesney
Wish they built 914's.
L McChesney
Joe Bob
They flaked on replacing fire damaged tools after the big Painted Cave Fire a few years back....most people waited a year and evetually got new stuff. They now give you rebuilt ratchets......
Curvie Roadlover
I took back a 10 year old Craftsman garage door opener. They didn't want to replace it, but I made a bit of a fuss and they did. Then they asked me if I wanted to purchase the extended warranty on the new one. blink.gif I said, "It's a Craftsman, too, right?" rolleyes.gif "Then why would I want to spend money to suppliment the "guarrenteed for life" warranty it already has?" Jeez!!!
jfort
we had craftman tools on a navy destroyer in the 70s. we really abused them. they always replaced them. more recently, i had tow 50-foot lengths of water hose that developed leaks around the end fittings. they replaced them without question.
VegasRacer
The 'guaranteed for life' policy does not apply to power tools.
They would not replace my broken torque wrench.
They said it is not a 'hand tool'. ar15.gif

(I got yer hand tool right here :finger2:)
anthony
At Sears you just have to turn into a loud obnoxious asshole customer and point out to the manager the big sign with the "satisfaction guaranteed" policy. If you persist, they will refund practically anything.
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(anthony @ Jan 31 2004, 08:57 AM)
At Sears you just have to turn into a loud obnoxious asshole customer and point out to the manager the big sign with the "satisfaction guaranteed" policy. If you persist, they will refund practically anything.

I know this to be true. When I was in high school, I used to work at Sears. People actually would return old flashlight batteries claiming to be "not satisfied". My manager would reluctantly replace them with new ones. wacko.gif
URY914
Or get the dumbass kid who hates working there and he'll give you the store. laugh.gif

Paul
Neal
My experiance is different, I inherited allot of Craftsman tools from my dad and a couple of the ratchets gave up the ghost.
I took them back and they reached under the counter and produced new ones, the workmanship on the new is so bad I had the kid compare the old and the new he agreed and went out on the floor and picked them from the displays and these were not what they were using to replace mine with to start with. Just compare and make sure its Apples to Apples.

Neal
Red-Beard
My father and I use a "combined" garage for our projects and we do borrow each others tools. I loaned one of my buddies his 1/2" breaker bar, which was about 50 yrs old. Yep, broke the breaker bar.

Not only did they replace it, the new one is substantially beefier than the old one.

One the power tools, I bought a reciprocating saw from them, and they sold me a lifetime warranty with it. I figured I will eventually kill it so I expect this will be a reasonable deal.

James
airsix
Like Readbeard, I too took in a broken 1/2" breaker bar. They were actually excited. Counter guy called a buddy off the floor to see. Said they'd never seen anyone break one before. They thought it was cool. Broke it trying to get the axle nut off a front-wheel-drive (Ford Probe POS). Am I the only person on this rock who knows what anti-seize is? Sheesh. Anyway the guys a Sears handed me a new breaker-bar with a smile and sent me on my way. Didn't even have to do any paperwork.

-Ben M.
markb
I used to get bunches of tools from wrecked cars coming into the yard. Rusted solid, bent all to shit, they didn't care. As long as I spread them around to different stores, I could get tons of new tools. cool.gif Lifetime is lifetime. As some have said, sometimes the new tool was far better than the old one was when new. I even had a ratchett that hadn't been made in over twenty years. They matched it as close as they could, with a better ratchett.
jnp914
Re the Craftsman power tools. Definitely not covered by the hand tool lifetime warranty. Good thing for Sears shareholders they are not.

Up until a few years ago Sears contracted their power tools from Emerson Electric. When the last contract ended, they did not reup with Emerson but instead 'offshore.' That is right, the finest Asian/Malaysian/Sri Lankian/Pakistanian workmanship is now underneath the Craftsman label.

Emerson had excess production capacity. Home Depot bought the Rigid brand, which years ago was serious plumbing tools, and contracted for a new line of power tools. If you liked Craftsman power tools then, you probably will find the Rigid items acceptable. sawzall-smiley.gif
DuckRyder
They got a little upset when I broke the third 1/2 rachet in one day.

(4 foot pipe trying to get the rear axel nut off a bug)

But they replaced them all. That's the only time they ever gave me any problems, and I think it was mostly because I took their last one.

<_<
TimT

They replaced my 20 year old (broken) clicker torque wrench, no questions asked..
Pnambic
My father in law always checks the pawn shops for Craftsman tools. Like Markb said, many times rusted and bent to hell. He'd just take them to Sears when they were broken and get new ones.

He was only questioned once on a large pair of channel pliars that he broke with his bare hands. The floor manager looked at him and told him that he thought it had been unduly abused or not used correctly. My father in law showed him the huge blood blister in his right palm and offer to shake the guys hand. The floor manager promptly declined and got him a new set of pliars.
stock93
I have gotten into it with sears because they dont warranty their torque wrenches anymore. Several years after I bought mine they decided not to warranty the newer style. They asked me for a receipt to prove I bought it before their deadline. Needless to say I wasnt happy.

I have worn out 3 3/8 in socket wrenches in the past 3 years. I broke the side out of a 13mm 6 point 3/8drive socket the other day with just a standard length 3/8in socket wrench. I've broken quite a few more of their tools. For a while it got to where they would recognize me when I came in their store.

John
Zeke
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Jan 31 2004, 08:22 AM)
The 'guaranteed for life' policy does not apply to power tools.
They said it is not a 'hand tool'. ar15.gif

Well, it's not a power tool either. My torque wrench wouldn't adjust last night and it was too late to go anywhere to get one. I looked inside the handle after slipping the end cover off, and I could see a nut loose on a threaded shaft with a hex key socket in the end. I calibrated it with another torque wrench and then doulble checkde it with weights and tightend up the loose nut. New wrench and went back to work. Maybe you can fix yours.
iiibdsiil
I took all my 12 point sockets and replaced them with 6 point. What a hassle. Just getting all the sizes I didn't have took me like 45 minutes, then another 30 to ring them all up. Not sure if they are supposed to do that.

Lol, then about 2 months later the Snap On guy came, and well, yeah. Since I am in the business, I have seen where the Snap On shit works better.

- Brett Smith
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.