Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 Experts, what's with these color codes?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
jaminM3
I found this website: http://p914.com/p914_paint-6-1970.htm
The color codes they have listed for the /6 cars are 4 digits. I have never seen a 4 digit code on a /6, so I was wondering what the brain trust's opinion was?

Has anyone seen this site before? confused24.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
Never seen that site before. confused24.gif

The first paragraph notes that Porsche assigned the digits "10" to the paint code to denote a black roof. confused24.gif If they did that, I've never seen it on a Karmann tag before, or referenced anywhere else. The fact that the author states that the same "10" would appear after all the paint codes for the /6 makes me think that it would then be redundant to add the same two digits to the color code, since the first two are the ones that really matter.

Paul
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(jaminM3 @ Aug 7 2008, 10:43 PM) *

Has anyone seen this site before? confused24.gif

I hadn't seen that site before either, so thanks for pointing it out.

My standard reference has been Chuxster's Paint Code Page. He too shows the 4-digit codes as 'late'.

I'm pretty sure my very early Euro /6 was marked '131' (Hell Elfenbein/'Light Ivory') and I am almost sure the later US car was just marked '29'.

Be interesting to see the color code for a 916, since those were the only /6's that did not have a black top ;-). 'Course those were pretty much all custom color, so one would _guess_ they'd carry the custom code.
Richard Casto
Another source that has additional details...

http://www.roadglue.com/wiki/index.php/Exterior_color

Copy from that wiki page...

"VW codes were used on all 914/4 and on 914/6 from VIN 9141430400
The Porsche xx10 code was used for Targa models where the 10 designated a black roof. The xx portion of the code was stamped onto the Karmann body badge and designated the body colour. This code was used on all 914/6 up to 9141430399. The change of code came as a result of repair shop confusion over the use of two different code series. "

I have some other info from sources that I trust (others who have done the research) that I will be using to update the wiki page later today. This includes use usage of the three digit codes and difference between Porsche, VW codes as seen on marketing and other factory/dealer literature from that time period and the values actually seen on the Karmann tag codes and COA documents.
Gustl
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Aug 8 2008, 12:43 PM) *

Be interesting to see the color code for a 916, since those were the only /6's that did not have a black top ;-). 'Course those were pretty much all custom color, so one would _guess_ they'd carry the custom code.

easy answer: L80E (light ivory) - AFAIK for all of them

they were all light ivory when the "standard bodies" came to Porsche, then they got converted to the 916 spec and got repainted in various colours

here's the Karmann badge from 914.2.33.0018

Click to view attachment

I got a ride in it last summer - and all the time to inspect it mueba.gif

bye1.gif Gustl
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Gustl @ Aug 8 2008, 12:06 PM) *

Curious - not 914.2.43.0018 ?
Gustl
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Aug 8 2008, 03:27 PM) *

The xx portion of the code was stamped onto the Karmann body badge and designated the body colour. This code was used on all 914/6 up to 9141430399.

interesting point that I never realised idea.gif

my 914.1.43.0396 shows L20E on the Karmann badge blink.gif

Click to view attachment

L20E ws the original colour of the car (signal orange) - currently it's red
interesting detail - the COA shows 1410 wacko.gif

bye1.gif Gustl
Gustl
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Aug 8 2008, 05:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Gustl @ Aug 8 2008, 12:06 PM) *

Curious - not 914.2.43.0018 ?

remember - talking about a 916, not a 914-6

the only 916 with a 914-6 VIN is the black prototype car 914.1.43.0195

see my 916 info page for more details - click

bye1.gif Gustl
Richard Casto
Gustl, I think your L20E on the badge and 1410 on COA makes sense as the later 914/6 used the VW style codes. And I think COA commonly list the "xx10" code. With both pointing to "Signal Orange"
Gustl
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Aug 8 2008, 06:23 PM) *

Gustl, I think your L20E on the badge and 1410 on COA makes sense as the later 914/6 used the VW style codes.

yepp

but the WIKI text says that the cut off was at 9141430400
my car is earlier ... a little biggrin.gif
davep
I prepared the data found on the Wiki page. It represents about 30 years of research. There are always anomalies in the system. Porsche factory literature was the source of the change at 9141430400. However, they are stating VIN's, and we know that the body # would be the most likely number to differentiate early from late. Since the VIN's and body #'s are not synchronous, such errors related to VIN's are certain to occur.

Since the 916 used very late 914/6 bodies, it is expected that they would carry the L80E code. Perhaps that is why George at AA thought the 916 was based on a 914/4 body; he did not remember that the code was changed.

While Rich (ArtechnikA) thinks 131 may have been on his early 914/6, I would not think it possible unless the factory did a repaint of the car; then all bets are off. The 131 is a paint color number as opposed to a paint code used on a badge. The factory almost exclusively used paint codes on the badges, not the color numbers.

Before changing the external paint codes on the WIKI, please consult with me first.

BTW, the p914.com website appears to take most of its info from the RoadGlue wiki. Not sure who runs it.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(davep @ Aug 8 2008, 03:43 PM) *

While Rich (ArtechnikA) thinks 131 may have been on his early 914/6, I would not think it possible unless the factory did a repaint of the car; then all bets are off.

I'm pretty fuzzy on that, and I doubt I have a photograph of the plate. After all, I last saw that car merely 30 years ago...

If it helps, it was a Euro car in the first 450.

I might have seen '131' on the original German title documents (stolen by state of California DMV...). I have no recollection of seeing '11' on the data plate -- but that doesn't mean it wasn't there...
SirAndy
QUOTE(davep @ Aug 8 2008, 11:43 AM) *

Perhaps that is why George at AA thought the 916 was based on a 914/4 body; he did not remember that the code was changed.

Actually, George has mentioned a few times that his 916 clearly showed signs of (crudely) removed /4 motor mounts ...
A real /6 shell would have never had /4 mounts to begin with.

That's why he suspects his 916 started as a /4 shell that was converted.
bye1.gif Andy
davep
The paint code on 9140430033 was 29, so I expect they used that code from almost the beginning.

I could not remember what George used to base his statement on. I remember asking once, but don't recall a reply. However the 916 DO use the 914/6 body #'s and they are very late in the series; if not the last of the 1971 body numbers. It would really be odd for them to use 914/4 engine mounts on a 914/6 body. What we don't know is if all 916 had similar anomalies.

Paint numbers, descriptions and codes are a fascinating study. What they put on the car and what is on the kardex can be different representations of the same thing. The COA can have almost anything including the marketing code xxV9. The factory documentation is neither clear nor consistent.
Richard Casto
Before changing the external paint codes on the WIKI, please consult with me first.

BTW, the p914.com website appears to take most of its info from the RoadGlue wiki. Not sure who runs it.

Dave, I am editing the wiki right now. Not to change content, but to clean it up a bit via some formating changes. I am also trying to put some actual colors on screen as well. If you find that I have accidently screwed something up let me know.

Actually I did put an entry in the "notes" section about my car. It is the L63E that based upon your research should be a late model year color for "Willow Green", but the color is actually Irish Green (color matches Irish Green and COA lists Irish Green as well). I didn't change the chart, but it is more of maybe my car is another one of those anomalies.
davep
I have no idea if your paint code badge has a typo or the literature that I have has a typo. AFAIK L63E is a real code but quite rare. What we need is to beat the bushes and find another one or two with that code.
Steve Snyder
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Aug 8 2008, 12:44 AM) *

...that the same "10" would appear after all the paint codes for the /6 makes me think that it would then be redundant to add the same two digits to the color code, since the first two are the ones that really matter.

Paul,

Adding the "10" denoting the black roof is redundant for the 914/6, but not so for the 911. A 1970 Silver Metallic 911 coupe would have been coded "8080," while the Targa version would have been coded "8010." Actually, now that I think of it, they're both pretty redundant, aren't they? huh.gif

Dave,

I run the p914.com Website, and I definitely snagged the 9141430400 paint code cutoff VIN from the RoadGlue Wiki. Other than that, the P914 Paint section comes from Porsche factory paint sheets (hence the little 914 icons and the multiple variations from the information on the wiki), general verification from Web research and, of course, picture submissions. As the 9141430400 VIN cutoff is the result of your research, I have removed the reference.
Richard Casto
QUOTE(davep @ Aug 8 2008, 06:01 PM) *

I have no idea if your paint code badge has a typo or the literature that I have has a typo. AFAIK L63E is a real code but quite rare. What we need is to beat the bushes and find another one or two with that code.

agree.gif
davep
Steve,

I have no problem you using the info from our wiki, just add a note crediting the source. The reference came from factory literature, and you can keep that also. Be aware that the discussion above shows it to be slightly inaccurate.

Your observations on the paint codes are accurate. I don't know of a two-tone 911 coupe, nor of a non-black targa with a roof matching the body color. It is the same with the xxV9 codes we see on the COA's.
Steve Snyder
QUOTE(davep @ Aug 9 2008, 09:25 AM) *

I have no problem you using the info from our wiki, just add a note crediting the source. The reference came from factory literature, and you can keep that also. Be aware that the discussion above shows it to be slightly inaccurate.

Dave,

Instead of replicating your research, I just added a link to the wiki page. I should have done that to begin with (like I did with Gustl's 916 page and the Rennlist LE page). My bad. chair.gif

Here's the new p914.com 1971 Porsche 914/6 Paint Page
Steve Snyder
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Aug 8 2008, 04:43 PM) *

Actually I did put an entry in the "notes" section about my car. It is the L63E that based upon your research should be a late model year color for "Willow Green", but the color is actually Irish Green (color matches Irish Green and COA lists Irish Green as well). I didn't change the chart, but it is more of maybe my car is another one of those anomalies.

Does anyone know what process was used to stamp the paint codes on the Karmann plates? The uneven level and wide spacing suggests it might have been done by hand. If this is the case, I'd guess that Richard's plate has a typo. The two 1972 VW "L63" codes I know of are Willow Green (L63K) and Sage Green (L63H), neither of which are even remotely close in shade to Irish Green (L60E), which he states is the actual color and is reflected on the COA. Just my 2 cents.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Steve Snyder @ Aug 9 2008, 09:13 AM) *

The uneven level and wide spacing suggests it might have been done by hand.

agree.gif
davep
here is a link to the RoadGlue discussion of L63E:

http://www.roadglue.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280

Please note the color chart taken from my factory paint guide. I don't know if this is a typo or not. I don't have a complete list of VW codes, and cannot find a link to L63E anywhere. I'm sure it does exist, just what color the factory claims it to be, I don't know.
Steve Snyder
QUOTE(davep @ Aug 9 2008, 06:28 PM) *

Please note the color chart taken from my factory paint guide. I don't know if this is a typo or not. I don't have a complete list of VW codes, and cannot find a link to L63E anywhere. I'm sure it does exist, just what color the factory claims it to be, I don't know.

Dave,

Interesting... does that paint guide also have an entry for "L63K" (and, if so, what is the color name assigned)?
davep
No, that set for 1972 does not have L63K listed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.