Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another question for the /6 experts...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Steve Snyder
All,

According to the parts catalog, the /6 combo gauge is part number 914.641.101.20. This is the only /6 combo gauge part number listed. Certainly, the parts catalog has its share of omissions, so I am not overly surprised at finding this...

IPB Image

Does anyone have any insight as to the differences between the ".10" and ".20" gauges? The only thing I see is that the ".10" gauge has off-white coloring for the face text and inserts.

Also, it would be logical that the ".10" gauge preceded the ".20" gauge in production, so I was wondering if there was a specific VIN or timeframe changeover. Thanks for any info you may have...
ArtechnikA
You'd expect to see only the last (supercedes all others) part in the book, so that'd explain why the .20 revision is shown but the earlier .10 isn't.

I have no clue on difference - it may be a distinction without a difference, such as a lot number from two buys from VDO. You can see the factory wanting to be able to track warranty claims to a lot number, for instance.
Steve Snyder
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Aug 8 2008, 06:18 PM) *

You'd expect to see only the last (supercedes all others) part in the book, so that'd explain why the .20 revision is shown but the earlier .10 isn't.

Agreed.
davep
The best thing to do is to get the date codes and part #'s off of as many guages as possible. That will narrow down the transition.
Steve Snyder
QUOTE(davep @ Aug 9 2008, 10:15 PM) *

The best thing to do is to get the date codes and part #'s off of as many guages as possible. That will narrow down the transition.

agree.gif
That was kind of what I was hoping to do with this thread! If anyone gets the chance, please post your 914/6 VIN and whether you have the .10 or .20 combo gauge number. Perhaps we can find a correlation. Thanks!
davep
Not so much the VIN's, although that would be helpful also. Get the ink-marked date stamps off of the guages.
sixerdon
Hi Steve,
OK. I have an original combo gauge in hand from my #0137 that I swapped out just last week with another. This gauge is stamped 12.69 on both temp & gas components for a car built in 01/70. It is a ".10" part number. The date on the one I put in the car is 7.69 on both components and it is also a ".10". I checked my other six #0876 (03/70) and it is ".10" but I don't have that date.
What you need to look for are '71 & '72-6's and get those numbers.

BTW; Does anyone know what that blanked out white spot is for?

Don
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Aug 10 2008, 11:14 PM) *

Does anyone know what that blanked out white spot is for?

The one to the right of the silver dot?

Torque convertor overtemp if you have a Sporto ...
914Sixer
All the ones I have ever seen are the .10.
Steve Snyder
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Aug 10 2008, 11:14 PM) *

What you need to look for are '71 & '72-6's and get those numbers.

agree.gif

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 11 2008, 09:53 AM) *

All the ones I have ever seen are the .10.

Thanks for the info, Don & Mark!

Okay, let's rephrase the question... Any '71 or '72 original six owners out there have the ".20" gauge, or do you have the ".10" as well?
smg914
The gauge in my 1971 914-6 ends in part # 10
Steve Snyder
QUOTE(smg914 @ Aug 12 2008, 03:08 PM) *

The gauge in my 1971 914-6 ends in part # 10

Steve,
Thanks for checking. Nice "Car of the Month," BTW!
mel reckling
My 72's also ends with '10'.

Steve Snyder
QUOTE(mel reckling @ Aug 12 2008, 08:44 PM) *

I see... Maybe the real question is, "Does anyone have a 914/6 combo gauge with part number 914 641 101 20? If so, what is the VIN and can you post a pic?"

I'm sure it exists. As noted, it is in the parts catalog, and the 1973 /4 combo gauge is part number 914 641 101 30.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Steve Snyder @ Aug 13 2008, 08:51 AM) *

QUOTE(mel reckling @ Aug 12 2008, 08:44 PM) *

I'm sure it exists.

Just because a part number is shown in a Porsche parts catalog?
You been buying Porsche parts long?

(Sorry - snide rhetorical question...)

-I- would need more evidence.

Could be Porsche just bumped the part rev so they could show the '.10' part as unavailable... Or it's in anticipation of the next buy from VDO.

The Porsche parts catalogs are full of parts that don't exist...
davep
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Aug 13 2008, 05:11 AM) *

And don't include parts that do exist as well.
Steve Snyder
QUOTE(davep @ Aug 13 2008, 10:37 AM) *

QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Aug 13 2008, 05:11 AM) *

And don't include parts that do exist as well.

Facts of which we are all painfully aware!
Anyway, if the ".20" gauge does not exist, I expect that no one will respond that they they have one. biggrin.gif
If it does, I'd like to know about it.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Steve Snyder @ Aug 13 2008, 04:50 PM) *

This is your research project, not mine.

If I did really care, tho, I'd probably contact Palo Alto Speedo and North Hollywood Speedo and ask them if they've ever seen one.

Or the PartsHeaven's, EASY's, and dC Automotive's of the world, who have had a lot of parts in and out of their hands through the years...
Gustl
QUOTE(Steve Snyder @ Aug 13 2008, 09:50 PM) *

Anyway, if the ".20" gauge does not exist, I expect that no one will respond that they they have one. biggrin.gif

I just checked my '71 six (very late built => COA says delivered on June 1st, 1971)

voila: 914.641.101.20 => this is the evidence that they exist smoke.gif

bye1.gif Gustl
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gustl @ Aug 18 2008, 08:39 AM) *

Even better, how about the fact the BOTH are still available from Porsche?

914.641.101.10, COMB. INSTRUMENT, $86.31
914.641.101.20, COMB. INSTRUMENT, $271.13

shades.gif Andy
Gustl
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 18 2008, 09:11 PM) *

well, now we know the difference ...

the price av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 18 2008, 04:11 PM) *

Even better, how about the fact the BOTH are still available from Porsche?

Color me perpetually skeptical, but I'm not sure I'll believe that until someone orders and takes delivery of both.

Case in point - you can order an early 911 Targa windscreen seal by part number. It'll even come in a bag with the original part number on it. However, you will not get the original part - you'll get the 'superceding' part from a newer (1990+, IIRC) car.

Alas, I don't have the $350 to invest in this exercise, which I'm sure would be educational ;-)
Steve Snyder
QUOTE(Gustl @ Aug 18 2008, 12:39 PM) *

I just checked my '71 six (very late built => COA says delivered on June 1st, 1971)

bye1.gif Gustl

Gustl,

Any chance of you posting a pic of that gauge?
Gustl
I'll try to do my best, but it's difficult due to the light situation (will need the flash light, which will cause reflections)
might take a couple of days ...

bye1.gif Gustl
Gustl
QUOTE(Steve Snyder @ Aug 19 2008, 04:57 AM) *

o.k. - here it is, although with a little reflection from the flash light ...

Click to view attachment

bye1.gif Gustl
sixerdon
Well now, I think we found the differences between the two. Compare the picture at the beginning of this topic and Wolfgang's sporto combo. The .02 should work as a replacement for .01, just don't cross the wires.
Live and learn Rich. This is good interesting information to say the least.
Thanks Wolfgang.
Don

ArtechnikA
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Aug 19 2008, 10:12 AM) *

... just don't cross the wires.

They're all just indicator lights so you need to stick 'em into the right holes.

Live and learn Rich.

I learn something every day, if it's a good day. (IMO, problems start when we think we can stop learning...)

Never did I say there -was- no difference (there are lots of weirdnesses in the Porsche parts books but I have yet to see two truly identical parts with different numbers. But I allow for the possibility it could happen, even though it would be highly uncharacteristically inefficient...)

All I ever said is 'we need more evidence than a listing (and a price) in the catalog.'

As we have evidence of the part, there's a really good case to be made that it exists. smile.gif

If you think I'm -completely- kidding, go spend some time with the 356 guys and you'll develop a new appreciation of the subtle variations of the word 'original.'

As in - if the factory re-issues a part now to replace a 50-year-old part under the original part number, is it, or isn't it, an 'original' part. Especially if it is -not- "identical" to the 50-year-old original-to-the-car original part?

Seriously - this has been a cool thread, and if I have been playing Devil's Advocate, it is only because I have been in search of the truth, rather than a circumstantial trail of documentary hints.

Thanks everyone for playing biggrin.gif
Steve Snyder
QUOTE(Gustl @ Aug 19 2008, 07:21 AM) *

QUOTE(Steve Snyder @ Aug 19 2008, 04:57 AM) *

Click to view attachment

bye1.gif Gustl

Excellent! Thanks for posting that pic!
So, the /6 ".20" combo gauge turns out to be the logical transition to the 1973 /4 ".30" combo gauge... identical except for the temp insert (as would be expected laugh.gif ).

IPB Image

Wolfgang, do you mind if I use that picture on my site (with appropriate credit)?
Thanks,
Gustl
QUOTE(Steve Snyder @ Aug 20 2008, 06:30 PM) *

Wolfgang, do you mind if I use that picture on my site (with appropriate credit)?

no problem smile.gif
McMark
Steve, can you (or anyone else) please post a head on photo of a .10 gauge. I'd like to add these parts to the Parts Vault.
Steve Snyder
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 21 2008, 05:30 AM) *

Steve, can you (or anyone else) please post a head on photo of a .10 gauge. I'd like to add these parts to the Parts Vault.

Like this?

IPB Image

Eric_Shea

You're out of gas... blink.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 25 2008, 12:09 AM) *

You're out of gas... blink.gif

didn't you take a look to the rpm IPB Image

biggrin.gif Gustl
Eric_Shea
didn't you take a look to the rpm

Oooooooooo bummer. Your engine died too. Hope it's not serious! ohmy.gif

biggrin.gif
Gustl
currently she's getting 1st aid

valve adjustment, oil change, new shiftstick contact ...
but the "doctor" said she will be on the road within the next couple of days biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif Gustl
McMark
How about a non-flash photo for the archives, Gustl... cool.gif

Also, are you willing to check for date stamps on the back of the unit?
Gustl
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 26 2008, 06:18 AM) *

How about a non-flash photo for the archives, Gustl... cool.gif

that would require to remove the instrument from the car ... and this didn't happen yet ...

QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 26 2008, 06:18 AM) *

Also, are you willing to check for date stamps on the back of the unit?

same as above shades.gif
gms
so then 914.641.101.20 is for Sportomatics?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(gms @ Sep 16 2008, 08:43 PM) *

so then 914.641.101.20 is for Sportomatics?

One hesitates to use words like 'all' in dealing with Porsches, but - "all" /6's had the Sporto overtemp light (i.e. - no special gauge for the Sporto cars).

IIRC (could be wrong, there's a Sporto thread around here somewhere...) 'all' the factory Sporto's were '71's. the .20 gauge seems to be for the latest cars (last build).
SirAndy
Anyone got any idea what the second number on the dash face means? confused24.gif

I'm looking at a '73 /4 Gauge right now, 914.641.101.30 with large red temp area and silver button.
Build Date 2.73

There's a second number next to it "0004".
idea.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.