Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: where to start questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hockeymutt
ok so i just drove up my 1976 914 with 160,000 miles from a 280 or so mile trip from san fran to my home town. First off i got the car for 3,300 dollars.

What the car has done to it.
lowed on koni's- no idea what the drop is or anything like that but it looks good
rebulit head and head gasket.
just passed smog.
looks like a brand new gas tank.
has documentation from the last 10 years of work down to it.

now the bad-
1)it grinds going into 2nd and 3rd on occasion. Its the wierdest thing when i rev it a lil higher than my normal shifting routine it does in fine. i don't know if it's that i'm not used to the shifter and the lack of a shift knob?

2)it drove fine for the first 5 miles then i hit the brakes a lil hard, it started to knock like the lug nuts were loose on the rear passenger side check the lugs and they were fine. Called my dad up and he said it was most likely the caliper was wobbling or the rotor was warpped.

3) as said in my previous topic the turn signals don't work! it sucked

4) wipers don't work, no indication or noise.

5) tailights don't work, and when i step on the brake my gas and tach gauge drop.

6) fog lights won't come on- not sure if it's blown lights or not

7) i have no radio and thier is no wiring for a radio. Any suggestion on what fuses i should tap off of, for the power acc, and power constasnt would help.

Also i have checked all fuses and all are intack and not blown.

any help would be apperciated thanks mike

* i am also on the quest to find some stock parts-

-stock center console
- sun visors
- stock knob
- glove box inside portion
- head light knob
Racer
Welcome! Congrats on the car! (show pics when you can smile.gif )

A grind into 2nd gear is not to hard to do. Grinding 3rd is a little harder. Could be synchros in the transmission are worn; could be you will need to be a bit more precise and softer with your shifting wink.gif

Brake wobble? Could be that a brake caliper is stuck. you don't mention if the car sat for periods of time or not before your drive "home". I would perhaps do a brake fluid flush/bleed first to re-baseline them. But as mentioned, sounds to me like a caliper gone bad.

I'm no help with electrical stuff, but start with the basics (fuses) and check wiring next.
hockeymutt
yea the car sat for a lil bit. I'm thinking a couple of months, the lady i bought from did a lot of work to it and then got tired of it.
Dr Evil
Mike, I have a vintage Porsche knob for sale if you are interested. Also, if you dont get the help you need beforehand, I can help you with all of your electrical questions in a bout a week after my next test on Fri. I have homemade schematics of many of the wiring issues and can make some of other things as needed.

Do you have the Haines manual? This is a must and has the schematics in it in black and white. Not as good as the 65 manuals, but it is sufficient.
hockeymutt
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 9 2008, 03:10 PM) *

Mike, I have a vintage Porsche knob for sale if you are interested. Also, if you dont get the help you need beforehand, I can help you with all of your electrical questions in a bout a week after my next test on Fri. I have homemade schematics of many of the wiring issues and can make some of other things as needed.

Do you have the Haines manual? This is a must and has the schematics in it in black and white. Not as good as the 65 manuals, but it is sufficient.

hey yea just pm me the price and ill see what i can do, might have to wait till the 15.

lol yea even the 65 manuals have problems since we did the "c" model up-grade. yea i'm searching for the helms locally might goto the used book store right now to go and try to find it. tommorow i have duty so i'm driving the car up to work and going to test all the easy stuff powers and grounds. Also going to do a corrison inspection behind the dash and fuse panel.
hockeymutt
bump
type47
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 9 2008, 03:10 PM) *

I can help you with all of your electrical questions in a bout a week after my next test on Fri. I have homemade schematics of many of the wiring issues and can make some of other things as needed.

This is a must and has the schematics in it in black and white.

pelican has color schematics (current flow diagrams)

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914_electrical_diagrams.htm
hockeymutt
hey thanks for the schmetics they helped alot.

so i fixed the horn, wipers and cig lighter and they work perfect. also got the tail lights to come on.

stuff that still needs to be fixed but i think i've figured out the problems to them.

ok the turn signals i can get to come on but not flash when the key is not in. but once the key is in and and turned they don't even come on.

My solution- i think it's the the flasher relay. it's pulling power when it's not supposed to and might be screwed up inside.

tach still drops when brakes are hit. No idea where to start with this one.

After reading a pelican automotive write up on tranny problems- i realized i have no firewall bushing and i def need one. also after i drove the car home from work i realized that when i double clutch i have no problem with grinding or have very very little grinding into 2 or 3rd. Then after i stop i looked under the tranny and realized i was leaking a lil bit of fluid.

so my solution- replace all shifter bushings and put new motor and tranny mounts in. Any check my tranny fluid.

Dr Evil
The knob aint going anywhere soon. I'll let ya know.

The turn signals are supposed to come on and stay on with the key off. Its a European thing. As for not flashing, that may be your relay, but it may not be getting proper ground for the circuit. Since many of your problems have grounding issues in the differential diagnosis, I would clean all the wire connections before blowing cash on parts.

Check the mounts before you buy new ones. You may not need to. I always recommend replacing bushings.

Where is the tranny leaking from?

Back at SFO I could drop an engine in about 20min using the 2K forklift smile.gif Engine/tranny mount checks should be easy wink.gif
hockeymutt
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 11 2008, 02:56 PM) *

The knob aint going anywhere soon. I'll let ya know.

The turn signals are supposed to come on and stay on with the key off. Its a European thing. As for not flashing, that may be your relay, but it may not be getting proper ground for the circuit. Since many of your problems have grounding issues in the differential diagnosis, I would clean all the wire connections before blowing cash on parts.

Check the mounts before you buy new ones. You may not need to. I always recommend replacing bushings.

Where is the tranny leaking from?

Back at SFO I could drop an engine in about 20min using the 2K forklift smile.gif Engine/tranny mount checks should be easy wink.gif

it's leaking right at the bottom....

thanks for the heads up with the turn signals...yea they want 40 bucks for that relay yikes! but since they're on like they're supposed to be i would assume they use the same common ground.

also does any one know how far the rearwiew mirror is supposed to be down from the top of the top. Cause i found it in a box full of parts that i got and want to mount it.

Also some more goodies i found when searching around the car was the missing headlight knob, the light that tells you the fan is on, and some little things.

also any suggestions on a new short shifter assembly cause while i'm replacing the bushing i would like to shorter my shift as well to see if it helps my shifting at all....
r_towle
Hi,
Jack up the rear passenger side so the tire is off the ground.
See if it wiggles.

You have several items that could make it move.

Rich
hockeymutt
the transmission?

also just got a quote from my neighbor to reupolster my sides of my seats and he said he would do each seat for 180 is that to high?
hockeymutt
so i think i just lucked out my local vw guy has a ton of 914 parts that he said he's gonna work something out with me for them
hockeymutt
update-

got my guages to work when the brakes are hit. I replace a brake light bulb the other day didn't check to see if it work when ran but just turned on the headlights and it came on so i knew it was good. but i think it was also causing my guages to drop when the brakes where hit. Might be do to that thier wierd in series.

dropped the car off with a local 914/vw guy and he's gonna help me with my shifting problems, i would redo all the shifter bushings myself but i have no idea how to do and i'm very limited on time for big projects. but when driving today i figured out that it was my shifting that was causeing grinds just wasn't throwing it that well.

but now my car has a wierd idle, it revs a lil high then seems like it's gonna stall then drops then rises agian, any suggestions?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.