Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this guy for real!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
klikkid3
QUOTE(atsealevel914 @ Aug 10 2008, 04:06 PM) *

I looks nice but I wonder how much the two offers made on it were for. Might have been a little short of 22g's.
scotty b
You can always try flag.gif Someone recently paid 99,000 for a VW bus. There's always THAT guy out there screwy.gif
tod914
Went to the New Hope Auto show this Saturday. In the car coral,
there was a restored 75 2.0 for $29,000.
Click to view attachment
Rusty
It's not a 22k car. Not by a long shot.

Whatever contraption is drilled into the rear trunk, doors cut for speakers, hood crest, drilled rear lense between taillights etc, etc...

Besides the (ahem) custom center console... what is that net looking thing? Is he going fishing?

It might be a nice Sunday driver, but 22k show car it is NOT.
Rusty
Why are there holes drilled in the rear trunk floor?

Is that some kind of roll or spray-on liner in the rear trunk?

Does anyone else think picture #9 might show some rust at the trunk lip?
jsayre914
WTF.gif High Fidelity Speakers, the record player is under the passenger seat.
PeeGreen 914
Wow you guys are harsh sad.gif
Rusty
Harsh? Naaaa.

It's a nice (but overpriced) driver, just not a show car. Buyer beware.
dcheek
A little food for thought.
Not too long ago I remember saying $20,000 for a Porsche Speedster was ridiculous money. And I mean for a perfect original car. Now try to get one for under $100,000.

Don't be surprised that $22,000 for a pristine 914 will be a bargain in the not too distant future. With trim parts no longer available, and the cost involved in rust repair and paintwork, this just may be a buying opportunity if the car is as described.

Mark my words, the 914 will have its day. And, like the VW hobby, will start to price out affordable originals.

Dave

VaccaRabite
agree.gif
Average prices have risen quite a bit since I bought my car nearly 3 years ago.

There are still a lot of 914s in the 2K-5K range, but I have seen more and more going for 15K+.

Zach
ericread
Maybe he's trying for a European sale? A $22,000 sale for someone paying in Euros equates to about $11,000 after you factor the exchange rate. So although it looks expensive locally, it's still a fair price for Europe.

Eric Read
PRS914-6
While I agree it's significantly overpriced, don't forget what just a quality paint job cost and labor for restoration. The labor can add up in a hurry if a shop does it. In fact, I don't how you could possibly make money buying restoring and selling.

Some ball park #'s..... Lets say a rebuildable car cost 2k, decent paint 6k, interior 1k, suspension 2k, rubber 1-2k (labor not included), engine rebuild 2-3k, tranny 1-2k, brakes 1k etc etc etc.... you get the picture....it adds up in a hurry.

It's not that hard to get that kind of money invested in a nice car. If I deducted the 3.6\915 portion out of mine I would easily have that much invested and I did the work myself. Granted EVERYTHING was rebuilt or replaced. I started with a $750.00 car.

With more and more 914's going to scrap and fewer original cars, I think we are going to see more and more $10-$20k 4 cylinder cars. It's just a matter of time.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(ericread @ Aug 11 2008, 07:36 AM) *

Maybe he's trying for a European sale? A $22,000 sale for someone paying in Euros equates to about $11,000 after you factor the exchange rate. So although it looks expensive locally, it's still a fair price for Europe.

Eric Read

14,666.2 Euros today quote.

Whats with the clock in the center console? EGR is missing and those door speakers are monsterous!! Also the gauge pod is not a plastic 76 one from what I can tell.

Ok its a nice car but chair.gif
dbgriffith75
I agree that it's a nice looking car; and although I'm no appraisal expert, I wouldn't pay 22K for it either. I can see it going for around 15K though because there was obviously a lot of work put into it.

And of course, any smart buyer will bid relatively high but stay below the asking price because if there's one thing I've learned in my time here, it's that there's ALWAYS something to do with a 914, be it repairs or personal mods.

Besides, at least he didn't put TV's in the backs of the headrests.... biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
12K at best, especially in CA where a 76 still needs smog.

914, the next 356.....
dflesburg
I hope he gets 22k.
Midtowner
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Aug 11 2008, 11:47 AM) *

I hope he gets 22k.

X2
Rusty
X2

I wish I could agree.

That kind of price is good for someone saying farewell to a car (selling or through an accident).

One of the charms about the 914 has always been that it was an affordable Porsche. As prices skyrocket to levels that only elite collectors can afford, cost for parts will quickly follow.

Then... it will require deep pockets to own and maintain one.

We won't be a community like this - it will be more like the stuffy 356 crowd. sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.