Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: White headlight surrounds
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
Sorry, but my memory isn't what it once was.

Headlight surrounds - I know they were white through '72, but thought they went to black in '73.

Brett Johnson says they were white through '73.

Can anyone verify this?
Pat
smontanaro
It's been a lot of years, but I seem to recall my '73 (bought new) had white surrounds.

Skip

Pat Garvey
Hmmmm!
Gustl
that's a 1973 mag ad - and it shows white headlight surrounds

IPB Image

bye1.gif Gustl
914Sixer
I think they went to black in 74 when the trim ring for headlight went to painted black instead of chrome.
davep
I think Mark is correct. I know the '73's I had came with white parts. However, these could have been phased in before or after the MY change.
SirAndy
QUOTE(davep @ Aug 11 2008, 12:32 PM) *

I think Mark is correct. I know the '73's I had came with white parts. However, these could have been phased in before or after the MY change.

My '70 914-4 had black surrounds ... Original color was Signal Orange.

Not sure if they were original to the car, but they sure looked old enough to have been there from the beginning ...
idea.gif Andy
TravisNeff
My 73 has white surrounds
Pat Garvey
OK, suspected that white was correct through '73, just not certain.

So, I buy the surrounds being white through '73.

Sorry Andy, they were never anything but black or white. Early cars were only white.
Pat
tod914
Mid 73 they switched to the black plastic thresholds. Maybe the same transition time for the surrounds?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Aug 11 2008, 07:57 PM) *

Mid 73 they switched to the black plastic thresholds. Maybe the same transition time for the surrounds?

Todd,
No, according to Johnson, the black surrounds didn't become standard until the '74 models.

I've found more than a dozen errors in the original version of this book, so I have my doubts.
Pat
smg914
The headlamp surrounds changed to black mid year 1973. More than likely at the same time the side threshold rails were changed from aluminum to black plastic.
SirAndy
How about body color?

idea.gif Andy

From a '69 factory Brochure:

Click to view attachment

From a '69 Magazine:

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
I think those two are prototypes Sir. But your media prints got me to run through the ads, and its not so clear cut as I had thought.

From Prototype 914114:
JeffBowlsby
From Jan 1970:
JeffBowlsby
From May 1970
JeffBowlsby
Another from 1970:
JeffBowlsby
From 1972, which uses the same photos from the first 914 ad in 1970:
JeffBowlsby
And from 1974, which admittedly could have been shots of an earlier car:
dw914er
They, I believe, switched midyear for '73. I think July or so. My august of 73 car has black surrounds and they are original to the car. I do know, which you guys can attest to, is that earlier in the year still had the white surrounds.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 11 2008, 07:40 PM) *

Todd,
No, according to Johnson, the black surrounds didn't become standard until the '74 models.

I've found more than a dozen errors in the original version of this book, so I have my doubts.
Pat

maybe you could share with us the errors in the book Pat.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(dw914er @ Aug 12 2008, 02:34 AM) *

They, I believe, switched midyear for '73. I think July or so. My august of 73 car has black surrounds and they are original to the car. I do know, which you guys can attest to, is that earlier in the year still had the white surrounds.

I agree. Mid year 73 the headlight surrounds were changed from white to black. Of course both parts have the same part number on them. The change corresponds as previously noted to the change from brushed aluminum to black thresholds, chrome to black washer nozzles and chrome to black interior door latch surrounds, and chrome based to black based window crank handles.
Steve Snyder
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 12 2008, 10:47 AM) *

I agree. Mid year 73 the headlight surrounds were changed from white to black. Of course both parts have the same part number on them. The change corresponds as previously noted to the change from brushed aluminum to black thresholds, chrome to black washer nozzles and chrome to black interior door latch surrounds, and chrome based to black based window crank handles.

...and I believe also a change from black-painted metal (zinc?) to black plastic rear Targe latch surrounds.
Joe Bob
Pretty sure black was around from the beginning but rare.....I know that a lot of people painted them black. White got grimey....
dw914er
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 12 2008, 07:47 AM) *

QUOTE(dw914er @ Aug 12 2008, 02:34 AM) *

I think alot of those changes were staggered though. For instance, I still have the chrome washer nozzles, but black window cranks. They probably just sorta kept switching parts as they ran out of the old ones. My car though is in the last of the '73 production year, and was built I think a month before the 1.8 replacement. That could be why I have a mix of the pre 73 to post 73 parts.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Steve Snyder @ Aug 12 2008, 08:54 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 12 2008, 10:47 AM) *

...and I believe also a change from black-painted metal (zinc?) to black plastic rear Targe latch surrounds.

I think that the plastic ones were 75 76
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(mikez @ Aug 12 2008, 09:03 AM) *

Pretty sure black was around from the beginning but rare.....I know that a lot of people painted them black. White got grimey....

I'm sure there's a reason this ugly Fiat 124 is posted here, but I can't figure out why. huh.gif

Paul
1970 Neun vierzehn
Back to topic.........................

H/L surrounds, original to car, build date 01/1970.

Paul
Joe Bob
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Aug 12 2008, 04:47 PM) *

QUOTE(mikez @ Aug 12 2008, 09:03 AM) *

I'm sure there's a reason this ugly Fiat 124 is posted here, but I can't figure out why. huh.gif

Paul

You're the first to comment that it's a FIAT....at first glance it looks like a 914....
Kansas 914
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Aug 12 2008, 05:52 PM) *

Paul

Is there a particular rattle can white color that should be used to restore the surrounds?

EDIT: I found it - the search engine actually worked for me.

Here it is (from Eric Shea): Valspar 55409 "Vanilla". Special plastic enamel.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 12 2008, 08:36 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 11 2008, 07:40 PM) *

Todd,

Pat

maybe you could share with us the errors in the book Pat.

George,

The last thing I want to do is "diss" Brett's book. It is an invaluable resource for 914 people, and Brett is a great guy (though I haven't seen him in 25 years).

But there are some (not many) "issues", paricularly with transition models.

Any, and all comments I make, are based on the original 1989 release of the book. And, all comments are based on the late '72 production 914 that I've lived with for 36 years.

p27 - "rear quarter panels". .."unmodified through the end of the 1972 model year". No so. The lips on my rear '72 quarter panels are notched for wider tires.

p31 - "For the 1972 model year, the valence was shortened...." No so. My late '72 model has, and was originally equipped with the "snow plow" rear valence.

p25 - "originally, 914's did not have a cover over the battery". "A recall of these early cars was made to install a small plastic cover over the battery". My '72 came with the small plastic cover (as pictured in the book). It was subsequently replaced under the recall with a cobbled-up Audi battery cover.

p59 - "The ash tray and seal were not altered during production". Not so. The '75-76 914's had a differently constructed ash tray. Have pic's to prove.

I have four or five other issues, but no substantiation. So, they remain unlisted.

I do not have any subsequent issues of Brett's book, so these issues may have been settled. I also have a late '72, and cannot/will not attest to any other issues that others may have.

Look, I'd be the last person to denigrate this worthy tome, and I'm not complaining. Just thought I'd bring to light some inconsistencies.

It still remains, in my opinion, the bible of 914's. Just needs some tweaking (that';s not Tweeking).

Pat
type47fan
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Aug 12 2008, 05:49 PM) *

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Aug 12 2008, 05:52 PM) *

Paul

Is there a particular rattle can white color that should be used to restore the surrounds?

EDIT: I found it - the search engine actually worked for me.

Here it is (from Eric Shea): Valspar 55409 "Vanilla". Special plastic enamel.

I sanded and polished the grossly stained surrounds I have. They turned out nicely and look original (except for being on a '76!).
smg914
WOW.....Can you tell us what grit sandpaper you used and which polish you used? They look great!
Rav914
QUOTE(smg914 @ Sep 6 2008, 10:05 PM) *

WOW.....Can you tell us what grit sandpaper you used and which polish you used? They look great!

+1

I've got a pair that need the same work. Those look great.
AvalonFal
QUOTE(mikez @ Aug 12 2008, 01:03 PM) *

I came across a 1970 914 color USA magazine ad and it shows the headlight surrounds as black. Of course, the ad also mentions "an optional 4 speed Sportomatic", so who knows the accuracy of the photo.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.