Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A bit of ranting with a question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BMXerror
I'll start with the question since most of you probably don't want to hear me complain. I bought a coilover kit from Paragon...
http://www.paragon-products.com/product_p/914_arhk.htm
... Thinking it can be used with the shocks that I've got on there now(KYBs that were on there when I got the car). Well, the KYBs, it turns out, have an integrated spring perch, and I guess the stock ones didn't, which I didn't know. I wanted to get Koni yellows eventually anyways, so I guess the time is now. Two questions, actually. Are the Konis at all different than stock struts externally(bodies and mounting hardware)? And since I don't have the stock strut/spring setup, if I buy the Koni yellows is there any other hardware or gadgets that I'll need to make it work with the coilover kit that I have? I don't really have time to find out the hard way as I'm supposed to be racing in six days. Thanks for any help!

Moving on to the complaint department: I think that racing is going to be one of the most difficult things that I've ever attempted. One of my goals this year was to make at least two autocross events, and I especially wanted to make the 914 Shootout when I found out about that. Two autocross'. Not a very lofty goal, right? WRONG! I needed a new engine, so I did a cheap rebuild of the 1.7 Did some head work, lightened the flywheel, put a little more cam in it, but pretty much a stock rebuild.... Once I added the oil cooler and the AFR gauge, it came to 1900 bucks with me doing 95% of the work myself as I can't afford to pay anyone else to do it for me. That's a lot of money for a guy making 11 dollars an hour. I was WAY over budget, and it took WAY longer than I expected. You all know how it is, I'm sure. Every little thing that could hold me up, did. It seemed like nothing would go smoothly. However, it's in, broken in, and I like it. It's my first engine build and it runs strong now. Good stuff.
"Now," I thought, "I can focus on getting the sway bar done." The only other event that I competed in was the RR night AX in San Bernardino last year. The biggest thing that I took away from that as far as car prep was that I NEEDED swaybars. So I decided to fabricate a front with components from HRP World and put a coilover kit in with stiff springs in the back to balance it out. Before I could ever get to that, though, I blew a battery and broke a trailing arm all in one night. That wound up costing me an extra 250 dollars and like three weeks. More importantly it cost me the opportunity to hit the Shootout. It also backed up the budget to where I ended up breaking my own spending rule and putting the coilover kit on credit. Now I find out that won't work unless I put another $350 on credit for struts.
The swaybar is back ordered and MAY be here this week. They have to cut and respline a longer one because they don't have a 36 incher in stock. That's also on credit. I was resigned to the fact that I'll just run without sways again this weekend(it's still a hella fun car) until my brother piped up and said, "I'll buy the shocks for ya." dry.gif He's an awesome guy like that, but I'm rather uncomfortable with that, so he's gonna front me the money, and I'll pay him back after I'm finished paying everybody else back. headbang.gif He's also running next weekend, and I think he wants the thing faster than it is. biggrin.gif But now that leaves me in the final two minutes with (I just figured it out) about 11 hours worth of work to do AFTER I get all the pieces. Plus I've got a full time job and school starting up again next week... which I haven't even signed up for. All for an f-in autocross.
It's just amazing to me how much work this all is. Stressful too. Next weekend, I'm sure I'll feel it was all worth it, but DAMN. Right now, the blackened right eye and the chemical burn on my right shoulder are small reminders of what I have been up to ALL YEAR long. At this point, looking back is just a blur of problem after problem to overcome. My eventual goal is to run wheel to wheel road racing. I'm already putting at least 20 hours into the car every weekend for one AX. I can't imagine what it takes to go road racing.... I think I'm just worn out. I think I need to stop and rest after next weekend... not just my wallet, but my mind. I'm pretty fried. blink.gif
I do have to say, though, without my bro I'd be screwed. I mean, I put in 95% of the work on this thing... as I should. It's my car. But when I'm stuck, he's always got the last little answer that makes all that hard work come together. Letting him drive my car, I feel, isn't enough to repay him for all he's made possible with this project.
Anyways. I'll shut up now. I'm sure you're all bored. I just needed to vent, whether anyone is actually gonna read it or not. I'm actually kinda hoping nobody waists their time with this. biggrin.gif I'm done.
Mark D.
Rick_Eberle
Just one thing to check...

The stock shocks were Koni Reds, which are a couple of mm larger diameter than the Koni Yellows. Which shocks do this kit fit?
BMXerror
QUOTE(Rick_Eberle @ Aug 10 2008, 09:13 PM) *

The stock shocks were Koni Reds, which are a couple of mm larger diameter than the Koni Yellows. Which shocks do this kit fit?

I don't know. Well, I just measured the bores on the threaded collar. The through bore is approximately 52.5 mm. There's also a step larger which I believe goes on the bottom. It's diameter is about 55ish. Does that help? Also, I'm 99% sure that the only ones that Paragon sells are yellows.
Mark D.
biosurfer1
I just put on my Koni yellows tonight and while I don't have the perches yet, I do know the Koni's came with some of the hardware you need, but not all of it. I had to source the bump stop, top perch and washers from my old kyb setup.

If you are racing in a couple days, why not just run the stock bottom perch. I'm sure its not ideal to having adjustable, but you have three options on the height using the c-clip and you can adjust the soft/firmness of the shock would should do fine for the race.
BMXerror
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Aug 10 2008, 09:44 PM) *

I just put on my Koni yellows tonight and while I don't have the perches yet, I do know the Koni's came with some of the hardware you need, but not all of it. I had to source the bump stop, top perch and washers from my old kyb setup.

If you are racing in a couple days, why not just run the stock bottom perch. I'm sure its not ideal to having adjustable, but you have three options on the height using the c-clip and you can adjust the soft/firmness of the shock would should do fine for the race.

I don't have the stock perches. I have the KYBs, where the perch is integrated into the strut. Right now, my easiest option is to just run without a front sway and without coilovers. But of course, I have to get stupid and want more speed! lol The jury is still out as to whether I'll actually take my brother up on his offer and get the Konis or just run as is.
Mark D.
sww914
I know how you're feeling.
It doesn't take much to race, just all your time and all your money. dry.gif
Rick_Eberle
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Aug 11 2008, 02:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Rick_Eberle @ Aug 10 2008, 09:13 PM) *

I don't know. Well, I just measured the bores on the threaded collar. The through bore is approximately 52.5 mm. There's also a step larger which I believe goes on the bottom. It's diameter is about 55ish. Does that help? Also, I'm 99% sure that the only ones that Paragon sells are yellows.
Mark D.

That might be about right for Koni Yellows... I have the Coleman setup (52.8mm - 2.08"), and had to have the collars bored out a bit to fit the stock reds.
TravisNeff
I bought an adjustable perch kit and koni yellows from Paragon, perches slipped right in on my yellows.
ericread
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Aug 10 2008, 07:30 PM) *

I was WAY over budget, and it took WAY longer than I expected.

Sounds like every project I've ever attempted for my 914. Welcome to the madness...

Eric Read
VaccaRabite
The budgeting rule for automotive projects:

Take your budgeted money and time. Multiply both time Pi (3.14). That is your real budget. smile.gif Going under on time just means you will be over on money, and vice versa.

Zach
messix
step back take a breath....... your in this to have fun right? don't kill your self over it either in the work it takes, or the money. don't go in to debt on it either!
just have fun racing your junk the way it is and pick one small project at a time to complete. if you don't get it done .... big deal. just have fun.
your gonna learn more in seat time than in improving the handling of the car.

remember to have fun and not to get to serious about it.

don't go into debt on a hobby

Joe Bob
Racing ..... how to turn a fortune into a small one.
BMXerror
QUOTE(messix @ Aug 11 2008, 12:39 PM) *

remember to have fun and not to get to serious about it.

I know. It was just a rough weekend, on top of several others. I'm a pretty intense guy, and when I do something for fun, I take it pretty seriously. The struggle and competition is fun to me. I know I'm gonna have a blast this weekend with or without the suspension hooked up. That being said, I ordered the shocks this morning! slap.gif
I know I shouldn't go in debt over a hobby. What can I say. I'm just bound and determined to get done what I had planned to get done months ago. For the most part I'm borrowing money from myself, at least, so I'm not paying interest. One thing is for sure. I'm gonna have to hurry up and stop after this weekend. I think no more major spending on the car for the rest of the year. I need time to catch up and also have some other parts of my life that need financial attention. In the meantime, I'm just gonna enjoy my car! Thanks guys.
Mark D.
P.S. I usually multiply by 1.5, but I think pi is more accurate! biggrin.gif
So.Cal.914
Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that Racing can be dangerous to your Wealth. sad.gif
ericread
Did someone mention Pie?

drooley.gif
byndbad914
laugh.gif good to see I am not the only one that serious contemplates why I do this (racing) to myself laugh.gif

Sad part is, frankly, it is just starting. I too have little to no patience and get rather intense about my car... I had just dumped a LARGE amount in the car with the tube chassis (as well as almost a year, every Sat and one night a week at the shop working on it myself) to have it run 30 seconds on the track. After I lacerated my hand really bad (blood everywhere) trying to get the car on the trailer and shutting the track down for almost 2hrs (the track was hot for 1 minute after a guy that morning shut it down almost 2 hrs laying tranny fluid from T1 all thru T2) I was back in the pits. Spent another hour getting the car strapped on for the ride home and scrounged 2 band-aids up to keep the blood at bay, I started home and called my buddy and said "nobody told me it would be easy... they just didn't say it would be so damn hard!" Destroyed a brand new Hoosier on the left front as well.

The next track day the ignition went out after 5 minutes. Took 3 months for Crane to get me another distributor (electronics had a recall mad.gif )

The next day was a good day until the tie rod end unbolted (that was - for once - my fault, I clearly torqued the left and forgot the right one apparently). So after fighting to get the car right for 2 yrs it was my first mistake. Destroyed the other now nearly new Hoosier on the right.

The next three days were AWESOME. That is when I could start to feel like it was worth it.

Since then sorta on and off. Last track day after $500 in fuel, motel and so forth it wouldn't start so it was back on the trailer and off home. Broke the shift handle while trying to pull start it (due mostly to frustration slamming it into first).

It really must be like heroin - for the few minutes it feels good you tend to forget it is slowly killing you rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

Take this as a warning of what is to come - I ain't saying don't do it cuz when it's on it is a FUN time, but when it isn't on, ugh, it isn't for everyone. I am always tinkering on the car, at minimum to drain the dry sump system and change oil is a couple hours.
Chris Pincetich
I'm makin 1/2 the salary I had when I first bought my 914 due to a job switch ($$ does not buy happiness) and the AX racin is barely in the budget. I THOUGHT I could do 1 track event this year but now I doubt it with other expenses on the rise.
What keeps me goin is that most of the folks racin are almost twice my age and I have PLENTY of time to get to the top. You are no doubt getting good at workin on the 914, and it will be a fun and successful AX platform for many more years. Hang in there bro beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.