Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil temp sensor install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
Hey folks, here is a question that may be elementry.

My 2056 engine does not have an oil temp sensor in place. The plate (taco plate?) that one would go is not drilled or tapped.

I have the VDO guage and wiring in place, and would like to intall a sensor.

Is the "stock" location the best place for it? Do I buy a new plate? Drill the current plate? How does this work?

Zach
So.Cal.914
My 72 ran a drilled plate for years, got a stock plate in a trade. Temp read the same with both plates.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
factory location by all means parts readily available and an easy bolt in.
orange914
hows the progress on your 2056, is it on the road yet?? there was a recent post where a member welded a bung to standard plate. worked good.

i'm getting a few of the bugs worked out on my 2056, then i'll do a post on it's progress.

mike
r_towle
take the plate off and look.
You can drill it, but then the sensor sticks down and could get hurt...that would be my main concern with mounting it at 90 degrees....i.e. drilled.

The correct Taco plate is designed to protect the sensor.
The sensor should read the same in either orientation...no difference.

Rich
type47
since you have a VDO gauge, the sender that replaces the oil drain plug would be too easy to consider as an option.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(orange914 @ Aug 11 2008, 07:38 PM) *

hows the progress on your 2056, is it on the road yet?? there was a recent post where a member welded a bung to standard plate. worked good.

On the road? No. The engine runs, and is mated to the tranny. I am syncing the carbs outside the car. And then, I just have to finish building the rest of the car. if I could find the time and motivation and not have to stop work for a .50 cent part that I can't find local and don't have on hand - I could have this car on the road in a matter of days.

But the sad fact is, between fatherhood and work and grad school, I don't have the time. And when I do have the time, I lack the motivation - its hard to convince myself to enjoy just doing nothing after going breakneck all day. And when I actually do start working, I find that I need to order a stupid little part that holds up the works.

I make a little progress every week, but my productivity this summer compared to last summer is _WAY_ off.

I think I am just going to order a new taco plate. Mine leaks anyhow. I'll install the sensor at the first oil change.

Zach
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(type47 @ Aug 11 2008, 10:10 PM) *

since you have a VDO gauge, the sender that replaces the oil drain plug would be too easy to consider as an option.

Such a beast exists? Where to be found?

Zach
bernd 1303
Hi,

from VDO gives a sensor that replaces the Oil Level Dipstick:

type47
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 11 2008, 08:37 PM) *

QUOTE(type47 @ Aug 11 2008, 10:10 PM) *

Such a beast exists? Where to be found?

Zach

yes and costs about $12 IIRC. looks like a drain plug with a spade connector. i'll look around and see if i can find it.

or better... $10 at:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...ode=VDO-323-055

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.