Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Billitt hubs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ventedrib
Hy I'm a newby to this site but not a newby teener. I saw some billitt hubs on here i think that were 4bolt hubs that would exept 911 vented disk. Has anybody tried these with the bmw 320 calipers it should work I know a mid 80's bmw had vented rotors right.
Mikey914
QUOTE(ventedrib @ Aug 11 2008, 04:16 PM) *

Hy I'm a newby to this site but not a newby teener. I saw some billitt hubs on here i think that were 4bolt hubs that would exept 911 vented disk. Has anybody tried these with the bmw 320 calipers it should work I know a mid 80's bmw had vented rotors right.

Might want to try posting this in the garage, you'll get alot more response.
biggrin.gif
McMark
Moved to the garage...
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(ventedrib @ Aug 11 2008, 04:16 PM) *

There is a member that is selling this setup with M calipers for a very fair price if you are interested.

PM me for more info.
Eric_Shea
If you want to retain the 4-lug and have a vented rotor this is the only way.

If you want to go 5-lug a 911 front end is a better deal. Less expensive and larger spindles.
PeeGreen 914
I belive Rich will sell this setup for a good price. I believe he is selling it for about half what it cost to buy everything.
TravisNeff
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 24 2008, 12:34 AM) *

If you want to go 5-lug a 911 front end is a better deal. Less expensive and larger spindles.

Eric, you have posted this a couple of times about larger spindles. Can you share with me any spindle failures with a 914 strut? I have never heard of any.
TravisNeff
icon_bump.gif
Bleyseng
I think its more like the weanie bearings on a stock 914 spindle vs the bigger 911 ones.
smdubovsky
I have no dog in this particular fight but I've seen 911 spindles that are bent (from track duty / potholes / etc.) If the 914's are even smaller, they must be even more vulnerable. So, total failure isn't the problem. Bigger bearings will offer longer life too.
TravisNeff
I understand there are bigger bearings that will last longer, but again where has it been shown that the -4 stuff fails.
Eric_Shea
Eric, you have posted this a couple of times about larger spindles. Can you share with me any spindle failures with a 914 strut? I have never heard of any.

Just saw this... never said that 914 spindles fail and I have no dog in this fight either. Here's exactly what I said:

I've had 914 bearings fail and I've had my 911 bearings fail. The 911 simply has a larger spindle and is spec'd with larger bearings. Even the 914-6 has the larger spindles and bearngs. That's one of those areas where you can't go wrong adding a larger bearing and spindle, especially with todays modern tire technology or if anyone will be putting wider tires on a 914 (not that they would do that... just hypothetically speaking). You also have 3" and 3.5" caliper spacing options. Again, all for probably less money than the hub set-up. A couple of SC struts on the Bird Board will probably go for around $300-400 clams.

To be clear; I said it was a "better deal"... and it is. Seems like a no brainer to me?

Sounds like a leading question. Why do you ask?
TravisNeff
I asked the question for my edification, not as an attack.you seem very knowlegable on this topic so it was a "no brainer" to ask. I agree on the potential price point.however, after buying used struts and brakes you may have to overhaul them that raises the price quite a bit. I have also recently seen someone selling a new complete 5 bolt billet conversion at a great price. So my question is going that route asking for trouble (billet).
TravisNeff
And yes this was somewhat of a leading question. If in fact the -4 spindle might be weak in a 5 bolt billet config, wouldn't the 4 lug be just as weak.
Eric_Shea
So my question is going that route asking for trouble (billet).

I'm not sure. I wouldn't think a hub would be that difficult to make. I don't know the amount of research that went into it... nor do I know the amount of work that went into the Mahle Porsche hubs. That being said I do know the Porsche hub has been proven (race and street) for over 40 years in the same basic configuration so I'm fairly certain that "isn't" asking for trouble.

I want to reiterate, for a 4-lug car, this is the only way to go. They seem to be fairly stout and the concept is well thought out; "get vented rotors without buying a bunch of expensive wheels -or- get vented rotors with an original 914-4 look." You'll still need to purchase M-Calipers. This will still save you money because 5-lug Fuchs can be very expensive these days.

For a 5-lug conversion, I still feel the 911 strut is the best buy. You should be able to easily find a set of struts "loaded (both calipers and inserts) for the price of what I've seen the hub kits for. That would make a true 911 strut (loaded) much less expensive than a hub package and a separate M-Caliper purchase.

Regarding your last post; I don't think a 4-lug vented hub would exert any more pressure on a 914 spindle than a 914 rotor/hub combo would. Again, all of this would depend on the wheel/tire package chosen but as you've mentioned... there's no real record of excessive spindle failure.

I’m not panning on these things I’m just making aware that in the 5-lug configuration, there are more options that will end up being less money.
TravisNeff
Thanks Eric,

That was what I was after.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.