Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 cost estimate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nomore9one4
Could you V8 guys give me an idea as to how much it would cost to add a basic V8 conversion to my '72..... Idea with it installed and for me to install. I have been thinking about this for a winter project. I do have a 350 sitting in the garage that runs or ran great. I have this itch to buy a corvette and I want it to go away!
LarryR
QUOTE(faux916 @ Aug 11 2008, 05:26 PM) *

Could you V8 guys give me an idea as to how much it would cost to add a basic V8 conversion to my '72..... Idea with it installed and for me to install. I have been thinking about this for a winter project. I do have a 350 sitting in the garage that runs or ran great. I have this itch to buy a corvette and I want it to go away!

I am not a v8 guy as I have not installed one but the idea has crossed my mind more than once. I know there are many guys who make due with the 0-1 but I know how I drive and am very familar with the 901 and know it just would not live with a v8 and my driving so here is my rough guestimate:

Since you have your desired engine:

4909 all the renegade parts minus the engine
9000 930 trans rebuilt with flipped ring and pinion and custome cable shifter
3000 brake upgrades
_____Leaving out the wheels, tires, flares, suspension b/c everone is very different on these needs.
16909 is what I come up with ... but I would add another 3k for the addtl parts I omitted
If you wanted to have it all done for you add another 12k ish guessing but I bet I am close for N. Ca and done right.

marks914
Its realy hard to say, it depends on your level of cheapness and recourcefullness.
I am really thrifty, here are some pics of my V8 car when it first got it together. I had $4200.00 into it, including the price of the car, junkyard engine, radiator, interior, paint, tires. It was fine, just not refined.

IPB Image
IPB Image

Now, after time, I have $12K into it, 911 front end, nice wheels, built 302, regeared trans, a much nicer car.

Mark

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
rick 918-S
I honestly have no idea how much I have into my conversion. idea.gif I wanted it, so I just did it. confused24.gif I'm sure there is a thread here someplace on this topic. I think I remember this being discussed before. driving.gif
nomore9one4
Thanks guys! I appreciate the input. This may be a project I stay away from. However,Mark that car is awesome. Thats what makes it all worth it in the end.
VaccaRabite
Any project you want to do involving reengining a 914 is going to run in the 1000s of dollars, including just rebuilding your stock motor (though that would be the cheapest option.)

Suby, big 4, small 6, raby 4, v8, big 6 - all these things are going to run at least $4k, and many are going to run a lot more then that.

Zach
computers4kids
If you are not in a hurry, then a v-8 conversion can be done much more reasonably by sourcing parts from other members as they become available. Even that, everything adds up fast. If you want to challenge your resourcefullness, try restoring a 914 AND doing a v-8 conversion at the same time. unsure.gif

One little piece of advice...don't cut corners on the cooling system!!!!!!
cobra94563
I think a basic conversion is ~5-6k. No frills.
Depends on how much other stuff you want in the car.
I'm in 11k total (probably 2k saved in good parts deals) and lots of time.
But that includes getting the original roller and pretty much replacing or refreshing most of the parts. (The big stuff - paint, 911 suspension, wheels/tires, steel flares, rubber seals, interior, exhaust, + cooling.)
But any other option to get 275-300hp into the car is going to cost as much or more.
jimkelly
start with a decent 914 - good suspension, transaxle, brakes.

minimum needed
engine - 350 crate $2500 or so complete.
renegade engine kit $2000
renegade cooling system $1000
carb electric fuel pump
heavy duty rear springs
+ labor and misc (grommets/clamps/screws/etc)

** edit - headers/exhaust.

to drive it - you will need a good life insurance policy : ))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9viaGK6NA7M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2IrUqefKTw

jim
nomore9one4
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Aug 12 2008, 04:36 PM) *

start with a decent 914 - good suspension, transaxle, brakes.

minimum needed
engine - 350 crate $2500 or so complete.
renegade engine kit $2000
renegade cooling system $1000
carb electric fuel pump
heavy duty rear springs
+ labor and misc (grommets/clamps/screws/etc)

to drive it - you will need a good life insurance policy : ))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9viaGK6NA7M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2IrUqefKTw

jim

Thanks Jim, I was waiting for you to chime in, Your car has come a long way.That is pretty much the route I want to take,although having ROOT probably would not hurt biggrin.gif
jimkelly
i recently replaced my front brake calipers with seemingly better ones and popped in some porterfield pads. i also installed a rebuilt peddle assy and a nice used oem gas peddle. also installed a terry cable - 18 inches longer - throttle cable. she is running pretty good right now. i think my 4 barrels are finally opening up almost all the way : ))

i look forward to some new ball joints and ties rods - one day.

i will get a new video asap. looking forward to ECC 2008.

root - without him - i'd still have a 914 powered by a 1.7 with no compression. here is a pic of root under my car the week i bought it, i knew him shorter than i owned my car.

wbergtho
I honestly have no idea how much I have into my conversion. I wanted it, so I just did it.

Rick, you took the words right out of my mouth.

If you build a mild 280-300HP V-8 car, you can get away with using the 901...if you want more power, you are now stepping into a new arena...one that just caused your whole project into becoming real expensive! And like computersforkids said..."don't skimp on the cooling system". How true it is.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.