Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: compression test
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nycchef
getting ready to sell a 74 2.0 and wanted to be able to post compression # for any buyers. so, i ran the engine for about an 1/2 hour. reving the engine every 5 minutes or so to simulate driving conditions ( car is on jack stands and has no temp guage). i tested all 4 cylinders (took about 15minutes) and got these #'s
#1 90 psi
#2 92 psi
#3 88 psi
#4 95 psi
does this sound right and if so what have i got here ? confused24.gif
So.Cal.914
IMO the spread is not bad. Throttle wide open?
tod914
Hey chef, I had a shop do mine about 2 years ago on my white car. The numbers
were real low. I purchased a compression tester, and tested when the plenium
was off and got numbers in the 140s. So in other words, what So Cal said.
Cap'n Krusty
If the test was done properly, with a good charge on the battery and the throttle wide open, it's time for a rebuild. The Cap'n
nycchef
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 13 2008, 07:19 AM) *

If the test was done properly, with a good charge on the battery and the throttle wide open, it's time for a rebuild. The Cap'n

throttle wide open .... oops throttle was closed should i try again?
VaccaRabite
Oh, I did not know a closed throttle gave lower numbers.

I guess it is that less air is getting into the engine?

Zach
Dave_Darling
Engine warmed up, all plugs out, battery fully charged, starter OK, throttle wide open.

--DD
So.Cal.914
What Dave said.
nycchef
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Aug 13 2008, 08:04 AM) *

What Dave said.

ok done 3rd time this time just like dave said
#1 146psi
#2 140 psi
#3 136 psi
#4 148 psi
did each one twice, what does this mean? is this dirty, greasy pain in the ... a plug and play, a candidate for a top end erbuild or a door stop.? enquiring little minds want to know confused24.gif
VaccaRabite
Those are VERY solid numbers!

I'd do leak down too, but that looks plug and play.

Zach
Dr Evil
Jeez, you actually are advising him to do a leak down!? His head is going to explode wink.gif poke.gif

Looks good so far, Richie.
r_towle
QUOTE(nycchef @ Aug 13 2008, 05:30 PM) *

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Aug 13 2008, 08:04 AM) *

What Dave said.

ok done 3rd time this time just like dave said
#1 146psi
#2 140 psi
#3 136 psi
#4 148 psi
did each one twice, what does this mean? is this dirty, greasy pain in the ... a plug and play, a candidate for a top end erbuild or a door stop.? enquiring little minds want to know confused24.gif

Those are very respectful numbers for a compression test.
5% difference is really normal.

Sell it, its plug an play as far as aircooled goes.

Rich
nycchef
thanks guys i was going to sell it to finance a 2.0 rebuild. but maybe i'll keep this one and sell the other one. beerchug.gif
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(nycchef @ Aug 13 2008, 06:01 PM) *

thanks guys i was going to sell it to finance a 2.0 rebuild. but maybe i'll keep this one and sell the other one. beerchug.gif

Good call. beerchug.gif
nycchef
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Aug 13 2008, 04:54 PM) *

QUOTE(nycchef @ Aug 13 2008, 06:01 PM) *

Good call. beerchug.gif

thanks i think it,s best. me trying to build an engine would have stressed the entire non-club to the breaking point screwy.gif
Leo Imperial
Ahh bs.gif

You can't leave it as is. By tomorrow morning you going to have a new idea that you need to chase the oil leaks and to do that you need to take it down to pieces and while your doing that you are going to...

I'll talk to you at 10:30ish tomorrow. If you don't call I will be worried that your sick or even worse your back to opening another Brooklyn style Texas BBQ place.
nycchef
QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Aug 13 2008, 07:05 PM) *

Ahh bs.gif

You can't leave it as is. By tomorrow morning you going to have a new idea that you need to chase the oil leaks and to do that you need to take it down to pieces and while your doing that you are going to...

I'll talk to you at 10:30ish tomorrow. If you don't call I will be worried that your sick or even worse your back to opening another Brooklyn style Texas BBQ place.

i,m gonna keep this one simple. just fix the leaks, maybe new rings, oh and i have a new oil cooler i want to use, maybe a hot cam. thats all realy unless i powder coat the tins and the block and a tranny rebuild .....what the hell i can run my 1.7 for 2 more years aktion035.gif
r_towle
replace the F/R seals
Push rod tube seals and oil cooler seals.

Put it in the car...

Better yet...just put it in tommorow.

Rich
nycchef
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 13 2008, 07:52 PM) *

replace the F/R seals
Push rod tube seals and oil cooler seals.

Put it in the car...

Better yet...just put it in tommorow.

Rich

if you think thats best , but i really had my heart set on armoralling the pistons
serioulsly what are f/r seals
r_towle
front and rear oil seals.

I vote you put it in tommorow...its a few hours and you will be driving again....just DO IT

Rich
hot_shoe914
just sell it to me for 500.00 and I will do all the rest for you. sheeplove.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.