Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil everywhere on passenger side bay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
So here it is.

Car runs great, but I am adding 1qt oil every 600 miles or so. Car runs great, the usuall white smoke apon hard decleration, but now....

When I drive it hard, like 4500 rpm on the highway and punch it, I get a sudden loss of power and mega white smoke out the back. sad.gif after few seconds everything is back to normal. runs great again. When I stop to take a look...

I see oil spatter on the optima battery, the ecu, the sensors and the firewall on the passenger side only. All hosses are new, and tight, there is a pool of oil on top of the tin on the right, and on toop of the intake runners (bottom part). dripping from the tin to the ground, and Baking off the engine, hard for me to breathe when I am looking in there. I think I will let it cool down. smile.gif

Any Advise.

I did a huge search on blown head gasket, but I did not find too many symptoms listed.

wacha think blink.gif
VaccaRabite
Are your heads vented to keep the pressures down under your valve covers?

Zach
jsayre914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 14 2008, 12:46 PM) *

Are your heads vented to keep the pressures down under your valve covers?

Zach

hey zach, Im not sure
Im still engine virgin

stock 2.0 with FI
I know the breathers on the top but Iv never looked for any on the bottom.
can you give me more details
r_towle
Yup, head vent hoses need to be CLAMPED so they stay on.
Also, replace that hose...they get small cuts and then only leak when you are at high RPM's

The puddle is from the head vents if its on top of the tin.
The fact that its all over tht area is just due to the fan blowing air everywhere.

Rich
jsayre914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 14 2008, 12:49 PM) *

Yup, head vent hoses need to be CLAMPED so they stay on.
Also, replace that hose...they get small cuts and then only leak when you are at high RPM's

The puddle is from the head vents if its on top of the tin.
The fact that its all over tht area is just due to the fan blowing air everywhere.

Rich
the hose was tight when i parked. if it did come from there , shouldnt it be flopping around??
ConeDodger
Isn't the head vent on the trailiing edge of the 2 liter head? It could also be oil cooler seals.
jsayre914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 14 2008, 01:20 PM) *

Isn't the head vent on the trailiing edge of the 2 liter head? It could also be oil cooler seals.

would oil cooler leak up? could this flick oil all over firewall, battery, on top of runners etc huh.gif
SGB
both vents are toward the rear on my 2.0. When Oil cooler seals leak, the oil gets blown out all ver the place by the cooling fan. I'm suspecting the oil pressure sensor on top of the engine near the distributor. They leak THROUGH to sensor, and it drips down into the oil cooler area. Puddles do make it sound like the vent line is disconnected or absent on the passenger side though.
SirAndy
how about:

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Distributor shaft o-ring maybe.
jsayre914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 14 2008, 01:46 PM) *

how about:

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Sorry Sir

my camera phone is broken, free upgrade in 24 days.
popcorn[1].gif
yeahmag
I'd suggest cleaning the engine and bay as best as possible then taking it for a short drive and look long and hard for leaks up top and at the cooler. Keep driving until you can identify the leaks.
rjames
I just found this thread while I was searching for specifics on a gasket I think needs replacing in my car. I'm getting the same oil splattering on the top of the passenger's side of the engine, although thankfully not nearly as bad as jsayre914's car.

I noticed the plastic oil filler neck has a bail clamp securing it in place, and there is a gasket under it that probably needs to be replaced on mine.

Can someone excuse my horrible description and tell me what this gasket it called?

jsayre914, you may want to look at this area closely on your car too as it might be the source of some of your oil leak.
championgt1
There is a gasket. I think it is called an oil fill tower gasket.
rjames
Awesome. Thank you gentlemen. beer.gif

I assume that if oil is spewing out from this area that it's time to replace it. biggrin.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(rjames @ Sep 17 2008, 01:37 PM) *

I assume that if oil is spewing out from this area that it's time to replace it. biggrin.gif

Oil pressure switch. follow the single green wire right near dizzy, I bet the plastic part is loose in the metal base. 24 or 27mm deep socket, can't remember.
rjames
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 17 2008, 09:37 PM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Sep 17 2008, 01:37 PM) *

Oil pressure switch. follow the single green wire right near dizzy, I bet the plastic part is loose in the metal base. 24 or 27mm deep socket, can't remember.

Will check that too, thanks!
jsayre914
hide.gif My engine bay is much cleaner now that I am putting the right oil in there.

problem solved
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.