Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front trunk latch cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jnp914
The release cable for the front trunk latch, along with that POS pot metal threaded handle, went TU. A quick perusal of the catalogs does not show any availble for the 914, but both the inner cable and handle are listed for the 911 and at a very inexpensive price.

Will the 911 cable and handle fit?
Eric_Shea
I just took mine off while installing the GT Oil Cooler Shroud. It's off a 74. Need one?
jnp914
oh, OH! Gimmee!!!!

Sandy, Ut, huh? I graduated from Weber State.
echocanyons
I graduated from Weber State.
]

You mean Harrison High school? wink.gif

Me too, then went on to UofU
Eric_Shea
I won't hold that against either one of you laugh.gif

Tis your's... e-mail me your address. Got anything I need?
andys
Speaking of the front trunk release, mine is hugely difficult to pull. The latch itself is fine (disassembled, cleaned, lubed, works fine), and the cable pulls very easily when disconnected from the latch. When the two are hooked together, it's difficult to pull again. Doesn't matter whether the trunk is open or closed. Everything *appears* to be in order.....any secrets?

Thanks,

Andy
seanery
Look to see if the plastic housing is broken/cracked anywhere. Mine is that way and it's a hard pull (and doesn't spring back correctly). Look in the unexposed places too.
Eric_Shea
Boxed and ready to go...

I have the plastic tube seperate if someone needs that.

E.
seanery
Is it flexible?
Eric_Shea
Is it flexible?

Kinda sorta...
jnp914
ummm...did this conversation just change direction or what?

perverts
FlatSix
Speaking of the front trunk release, mine is hugely difficult to pull.

I have exactly the same trouble. There was a tech article a while ago (maybe on the PP board). I followed that and it made a very tiny difference, but it did not solve the issue.

Everything works well on it's own. Close the front trunk and then try to pull the handle... as andys said.

Is this common?
roundboy914
Hey,
I got a question also. When i close my front hood, the latch doesn't keep the hood down. The handle is also hard to pull, and you have to push it back in after opening. At any rate, to get the hood to stay down, you have to keep pushing on the front deck lid, and hope that it finally catches. Is there an adjustment that i am missing?
seanery
roundboy, it sounds like mine. after you pull the cable release and the trunk pops, push the cable back in and try it. That works for me until I can get a new cable and housing.
TheCabinetmaker
Sounds like a broken spring on the latch. I've also seen them bend.

Roundboy, have you adjusted the latch? could be a tad too low?

My cable got progressively harder to pull and one day it finally let go. After removing the front bumber. I found a very dirty latch mecanism, and the spring had come loose jamming the latch. Took it apart, cleaned, reasembled, relubed and its worked great every since. Realigning the hood was a matter of trial and error
Eric_Shea
I have the latch available too.

The hard pull problems sound like the catch may be too tight against the latch... confused24.gif (latch seems to work fine w/o the catch engaged) try moving the catch to one side or the other. Watch while you close the hood and see if it is over to one side more than the other... just guessing at this point.

Or - get a fiberglass hood with hood pins. Take the latch, cable and handle out of the car smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.