Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any easy way to identify an installed engine?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Slick914
I'm leaving to look at a 914 that is for sale within the next couple hours. The owner doesn't know what engine is in the car, but does know that it was replaced. What can I look for to determine if it's a 2.0 or 1.7/1.8?

Seller says it is a short stroke, big bore engine but doesn't know anything else.
MartyYeoman
Take an engine bay picture and post it here.
Try and capture the area near the fuel injectors.
That will pretty much tell the externals.
For the internals,you'll only know for sure with a tear down.
r_towle
Well,
Look for the serial number.
If the number is located just below and in front of the oil filler, its a 2.0 liter case.
It the number is located on the top of the case, its a 1.7 or 1.8 liter.

Heads at intake.
The 1.7/1.8 liter heads use four studs and the 2.0 liter used three studs, so look at how the intake is connected.

2.0 liter motors typically used Heat exchangers that were straight all the way to the back.
1.7/1.8 liter motors typically used heat exchangers that had a rise in the back about 2-3 inches and then level off again.
All heat echangers fit on all motors...so those could have been swapped out.

Now to make it even more confusing.
All motors will take all crankshafts and can also take big bore kits.
The 1.8 and 2.0 liter heads can be interchanged, the outer diameter of the jugs is the same. Thus the hole (register) in the heads is the same.

1.7 liter heads have a smaller register and while there was a big bore kit for these motors, its nla because the walls of the cylinders were so thin there was alot of warping issues.

Um...
2.0 liter spark plugs aim toward the outer fender.
1.7/1.8 spark plugs are more on top of the motor, and aim towards the front and back.

2.0 liter FI has a throttle body that aims towards the sky.
1.7 has a throttle body that aims towards the dirvers rear.
1.8 liter has a throttle body like the 1.7 but there is a large air vane measuring box attached to it (its L-jet)

That should be enough to confuse you.

Rich
Slick914
blink.gif I feel like a deer staring into headlights. laugh.gif

Thanks for all the info.

The car has carbs so I won't be able to look at fuel injection. Although, he said he has a big box of original parts that come with the car.

It also has aftermarket exhaust on it. Not sure what kind, but it has 2 tips on each side of the car.

I'll look for the serial number and look at the plugs.

I have these 2 photos, but not really great shots. Might be a 1.8?

IPB Image
IPB Image
TheCabinetmaker
No plug wires coming out the top of the engine tin. Looks like a 2.0L
SirAndy
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Aug 14 2008, 02:52 PM) *

No plug wires coming out the top of the engine tin. Looks like a 2.0L

agree.gif
davep
The only thing you can really tell is if the heads were originally 2.0 or not; that you can tell by the number of stud/nuts on the head where the intake manifold bolts, and the 2.0 head had just 3 studs (one in the middle). ANYTHING could be inside of the case. You could have a great engine there, or a nightmare; there is no way to know without driving it for a while.
r_towle
Take a picture of the cylinders from underneath the car.
Get a good clear and square picture,,,not at an angle.

The serial number for a 2.0 liter will be just in front of the oil filler cap on a rectangular part of the base of the oil filler.
Its between the oil filler and the front fan housing.

Aside from that, if it runs, and the price is right, buy it.
The motor is really the least of your worries...funny car that way.

LOOK FOR RUST.
Look under the battery, look from both the top and bottom
Remove all the carpets and look close.

Rich
Slick914
It did have the 2.0 heads and tin work. I passed on the car though because it wasn't as nice as the Ebay ad led you to believe. Body had a couple bubbles popping through already, floor pans had rust, could tell the hellhole rust was poorly covered, etc. I didn't even bother checking out the longs because I already knew I wasn't interested, but I bet they had some rust. It wasn't anywhere near a "fully restored" car if you ask me!

Here's the ad... Ebay ad
davep
From the VIN I almost expected that one to be an LE. That body was hanging around a while.
type47
somebody put cooling flaps and a thermostat on that engine, quick!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.