Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electrical Problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
warrenoliver
My headlights, horn, fresh air blower, and wipers suddenly stopped working WTF.gif Left me stranded last night in a parking ramp.

I checked all the fuses and swapped out relays including the headlamp relay, and still no change. Initially, I thought it might be the headlight switch not getting power to the headlights, but the dash and marker lights come on when I turn on the switch. The blinkers work OK and also the emergency flashers - everything else is dead headbang.gif

The car does start and run just fine.

So, is this an ignition switch problem? How do I narrow this down? Is there a way to bypass or "jumper" around the switch to confirm it is the switch?

Help, I'm lost with electrical problems.

Warrenoliver
markb
Rule of thumb is to check grounds first. There's one right by the fuse panel, is it clean & tight? Did you spin the fuses in their holders? Sometimes they're not making good connections. They can also be bad but look good. Fresh air blower & wipers are on the same fuse, but not the headlights & horn. Headlights each have their own fuses, for high & low beams (4 total), so chances are good you didn't blow all 4 at one without noticing.
Tom
Had a similar problem and it was one of the round relays. I could wiggle the relay and the wipers, horn would work until I hit a bump, then wouldn't work again until I wiggled the relay. Finally got tired of it and got a new relay. End of problem. If you have the Haynes book, you can trace out the power path and see which relay it is. It is energized when the switch is turned on. J12 comes to mind, but I can't be sure without the manual in front of me. I think this relay allows power to the fuses for the horn, radio, wipers and maybe headlights. Basically everything that requires the key switch to be in the on position.
Tom
warrenoliver
QUOTE(Tom @ Aug 14 2008, 10:06 PM) *

Had a similar problem and it was one of the round relays. I could wiggle the relay and the wipers, horn would work until I hit a bump, then wouldn't work again until I wiggled the relay. Finally got tired of it and got a new relay. End of problem. If you have the Haynes book, you can trace out the power path and see which relay it is. It is energized when the switch is turned on. J12 comes to mind, but I can't be sure without the manual in front of me. I think this relay allows power to the fuses for the horn, radio, wipers and maybe headlights. Basically everything that requires the key switch to be in the on position.
Tom

Thanks Tom. Do you remember which relay it was and where it is located? I have swapped the relays on the fuse board with no luck. It seems strange that all of those things, i.e., horn, lights, fan, wipers, etc., would run through the same relay.
I am trying to follow the wiring diagram (spaghetti soup to me). I can't figure out how all of those go through any one relay, that's why I am wondering if it is the ignition switch. But then, if the ignition switch is bad, why does my fuel pump, gauge lights, and parking lights come on when I have the switch on? headbang.gif

Does the ignition switch have multiple contacts that feed the different relays?

Help guys, our Wisconsin summer is short enough without taking the darn thing off the road for a few weeks.

Thanks.

Warrenoliver
swl
QUOTE(warrenoliver @ Aug 15 2008, 07:35 AM) *

short answer is yes.

That part of the wiring diagram is really hard to follow - it hurts my head just looking at it. But the ignition switch is pretty simple.

Pin 30 is the is the 12v supply - you have to have something there because other things work.

With the key on you should have 12v at pin 15, x and p. Looks like a good place to start trouble shooting.
Tom
Warren,
It was relay J13 located on the fuse panel. This allows power to fuse S8.
You also have a PM.
Tom
swl
good call Tom. Not only does it energize that fuse but also energizes the horn relay. One point of failure for everything he mentioned.
warrenoliver
QUOTE(swl @ Aug 15 2008, 07:02 PM) *

QUOTE(warrenoliver @ Aug 15 2008, 07:35 AM) *

short answer is yes.

That part of the wiring diagram is really hard to follow - it hurts my head just looking at it. But the ignition switch is pretty simple.

Pin 30 is the is the 12v supply - you have to have something there because other things work.

With the key on you should have 12v at pin 15, x and p. Looks like a good place to start trouble shooting.

Thanks Tom Steve and Andy, pray.gif

You were all a great help. I ended up taking the ignition switch and just as I suspected, the switch is cracked. I have ordered a new one.
I confirmed that it was the problem by jumping the X and 15 pin. That gives me power to everything! driving.gif

Thanks again - you guys rock! piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

Warrenoliver
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.