Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Master Cylinder Rebuild Kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
2seater4me
Iam trying to find a rebuild kit for a 1974 1.8L with a 17mm master cylinder, any ideas ? Thanks for the help.
GeorgeRud
I'm sure that you will be able to find one as ATE did have them available, but think about it!

These cylinders are old, and replacing it with a new one is not that expensive. I'd suggest that you would be better off by just replacing it and knowing you're safe!
McMark
I got a rebuilt 17mm master cylinder at my local NAPA. If that helps...
pete-stevers
i would highly recomend splitting for the new one....
i belive the rebuild kit is not completely inclusive
and you may have to buy a new mc anyways if you find the rebuild doesn't work
never mind the posibility of what may happen if the rebuild fails to stop you while driving
my two cents
pete-stevers
by the way welcome.png
check out the teener tues thread...for the local nutcases
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=49283
KELTY360
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Aug 14 2008, 10:25 PM) *

check out the teener tues thread...for the local nutcases

Hey! Who you callin.......... idea.gif .......nevermind. biggrin.gif

Oh yeah welcome.png
URY914
I have some old brake pads if you'd like them too. blink.gif
DBCooper
Yeah, but the whole idea of rebuilding a M/C is that when you're done it's not old any more.

I don't understand the fear of rebuilding a M/C. It's irrational. If you don't know how then don't, of course, but if you use good parts and you've got the skills then when you're finished you'll know exactly what's in there. You can't say that about any aftermarket M/C, and I guarantee that you'll care a lot more about how it went together than that Chinese guy who put the aftermarket one together.

Again, no skills - don't do it. You got the skills, what's the problem?
URY914
I've rebuilt them in the past. It is less work to just switch out the old for for a new one.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 15 2008, 12:42 PM) *

Yeah, but the whole idea of rebuilding a M/C is that when you're done it's not old any more.

I don't understand the fear of rebuilding a M/C. It's irrational. If you don't know how then don't, of course, but if you use good parts and you've got the skills then when you're finished you'll know exactly what's in there. You can't say that about any aftermarket M/C, and I guarantee that you'll care a lot more about how it went together than that Chinese guy who put the aftermarket one together.

Again, no skills - don't do it. You got the skills, what's the problem?

agree.gif

Do we go out and buy new brake calipers?

OTOH, a rebuild kit is nearly as expensive as a new M/C, so economically, it doesn't really make sense.
URY914
Brake calipers don't wear out.

Brake pads wear out.

M/C's wear out.

Ever take one a part? The are rubber "cups" or seals that move inside the m/c. They wear out by rubbing on the inside walls of the m/c. Much like piston rings in a cylinder. Unless you hone the m/c AND replace the seals your rebuild will not be as good as a new one.
DBCooper
Sure, the seals are the wear parts, are in the kit and get replaced anyway, so no problem. No need to bore, they usually clean up easily just with a hone. If there's corrosion damage that won't hone out then of course, go ahead and get a new one. You'd only bore and re-sleeve a M/C to salvage it when there's considerable corrosion damage and it's a collector car where there's no replacement available.
Katmanken
It's really easy to do, and you just use a small hone to ensure the bore is smooth.

Takes just minutes for a newbie to rebuild.

But then again we have been brainwashed to throw stuff away rather than fix it.

Kennyoldschool
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.