Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: seat shipping
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nycchef
anyone ever shipped seats. i need to send a pair out and would like to know what the best method of packing is, does ups handle stuff that big? better to take the rails off? bye1.gif
PanelBilly
I'm in the office furniture business and we have chairs shipped into our place all teh time by UPS. Generally the are in a plastic bag with very little padding. Often the boxes get some what crushed, but the chairs are fine.
type11969
I seem to remember when shipping big stuff via UPS that there is a max LXWXH that, once exceeded, the price skyrockets regardless of weight. Might want to check into that before settling on UPS.

-Chris
Dr Evil
When I was shipping seat sets all over the states, I could so it for about $35> The trick is use FedEx and keep the size to a specific limit:

1)I get a wardrobe box from Uhaul.
2)Cut the box down to 51" high (I think, its been a while)
3) put one seat in bottom down and the other in bottom up
Thats it.

The trick is to get the box as short as you can as a deviation of 1" meant the difference of $50 more on the bill smile.gif
nycchef
deviation of 1" meant the difference of $50 more on the bill

does that apply only to shipping or is that your standard for other stuff like circumcisions, artery transplants, amputations? grouphug.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(nycchef @ Aug 15 2008, 06:14 PM) *

deviation of 1" meant the difference of $50 more on the bill

does that apply only to shipping or is that your standard for other stuff like circumcisions, artery transplants, amputations? grouphug.gif

For you...neck up amputation would be free, no charge.
I studied to be a moyle....got my knife all sharpened...

Seriously.
Weigh the seats.
Go to both UPS and Fedex Web sites and use the online deal to price it out.
You will find the magic number for the box.
The box is measured Length + width + height + weight.
It takes a few tries to figure it out..they wont tell you.

Rich
gopack
google it!
dimentional weight
size and weight limits
r_towle
QUOTE(gopack @ Aug 15 2008, 07:13 PM) *

Nioce, but it does not answer the question.
What is the magic number for the size of the box...once you hit that size the price goes into a new catagory and it pretty expensive...

Just weigh them and measure them.
I shipped two 356 seats and it was cheaper to ship two packages instead of one.
Each box weighed 50lbs...it was around 130 cheaper to ship the seats in individual boxes....go figure.

Rich
Dr Evil
Ya, you could go through all the work to find out exactly what I just told you rolleyes.gif

FedEx is more of a dimensional cost, UPS is a weight one. UPS sucks.
gopack
When i shipped my seats to Dr. Evil, i used a short wardrobe box ($20) and if i remember the seats jsut fit in the box nested. shipping was reasonable, but i cant tell you what i spent.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

I seem to remember some conversation here ,on the merits of using Grayhound

for big items. You have to have a terminal neer to pick items up at. I have used

UPS to ship a 901 trans. didn't seem to tearable. Dave slap.gif
rhodyguy
fedex's online calculator never works for me anymore. iirc the magic # is 108". girth+height. cut the box in half in the height aspect. slide the top section down over the bottom piece. measure, measure, measure. try to stay an inch+ under the max. shippers will round up to the next whole. prices have increased due to fuel surcharges.

k
Dr Evil
It was $35 to ship coast to coast a few years ago. The wardrobe box is $12 and is 20"x24" on the base which is perfect for our seats. GreyHound will likely be the same price and it wont be delivered door to door.
Dr Evil
Ah, I just tried to play with the FedEx calculator.....things have changed and the lowest I got was $149 sad.gif Damn.

Looks like GreyHound may be your best bet.
nycchef
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 15 2008, 06:41 PM) *

Ah, I just tried to play with the FedEx calculator.....things have changed and the lowest I got was $149 sad.gif Damn.

o.k so it's ups for weight and fed ex for... no wait ,it's greyhound for size and they deliver to the post office. ah damn my head just exploded. headbang.gif
thanks for all your help guys i will rise early tomorrow and find the best deal.

p.s we need a exploding head smilie. who do i speak to about that?
rmital
QUOTE(nycchef @ Aug 15 2008, 10:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 15 2008, 06:41 PM) *

o.k so it's ups for weight and fed ex for... no wait ,it's greyhound for size and they deliver to the post office. ah damn my head just exploded. headbang.gif
thanks for all your help guys i will rise early tomorrow and find the best deal.

p.s we need a exploding head smilie. who do i speak to about that?

blowup.gif
Leo Imperial
ouch
nycchef
QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Aug 15 2008, 08:18 PM) *

ouch

it amazes me that these east coast guys, what did they call themselves lasr year, oh yeah n.e. wrenches, can stay up late at night playing on their computers but can't come to brooklyn even once to help me drop an engine. poke.gif
Dr Evil
You smell funny confused24.gif
nycchef
so i spent my morning dealing the the big 3
ups
fed ex
greyhound freight

ups wanted $198.00 to ship seats . i spoke to them and the reasoning is because the box was so large they charge for 180 lbs. i explained that it only weighed 60 lbs, but they said because it is so large they charge for 180 lbs... screw them
fed ex just said it was too large try ups.. screw them too
greyhound freight wants about $65. go greyhound.
Elliot Cannon
[quote name='Dr Evil' date='Aug 15 2008, 04:29 PM' post='1067637']
Ya, you could go through all the work to find out exactly what I just told you rolleyes.gif

FedEx is more of a dimensional cost, UPS is a weight one. UPS sucks.
[/quote

Why do you think they're called "freight nazis"?
Dr. Roger
http://www.shipgreyhound.com/ All the way...... that's how i got my flared fenders from Fla to Cali. Relatively quick and no damage. And they call you when your parcel has arrived at its destination. Sweet. =)
SGB
I got seats shipped via Greydog. Arrived on time, undamaged. Easy pick-up.
Dr Evil
I apologize for any antiquated knowledge that I put forth, I is clear that the economy has shifted much and Grey Hound is the new king smile.gif
nycchef
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 16 2008, 09:39 PM) *

I apologize for any antiquated knowledge that I put forth, I is clear that the economy has shifted much and Grey Hound is the new king smile.gif

that's o.k. mike leo told me never to listen to you anyway. cheer.gif
Dr Evil
HA, you listen to Leo!? confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.