Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wire colors for emergency brake light and oil idiot light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buck toenges
I am hooking up a quad gauge for my 3.2 and I need to know which wire is my emergency brake light and my oil idiot light? I assume the idiot light wire is green and my brake light is blk w/blue. I don't think the stock idiot light wire will work with the 3.2 I'm a newbie with electrics, well I'm a newbie about most things but electrical right now.
Can I tell which wire is the brake light by apply hand brake with a testing light on the wire? I assume when the hand brake switch is activated I'll get some power out of the wire. I think I need to add a wire from the two poled pressure sensor to get an idiot light. I don't think I have one with the motronic dme.
Thanks,,
Buck
914Sixer
Black/blue is always the dash lights. The year of the car is need because early cars have some wiring differences.
buck toenges
Car is '72
Thanks,
Buck
Todd Enlund
Pelican doesn't have a diagram for a '72... here's the '71:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/Elec...rical_1971b.htm

Looks like brown/white and black/white for the brake light, and the oil light is green/red and red/white.

Now, tell me about that D.VII?
SirAndy
QUOTE(buck toenges @ Aug 16 2008, 05:23 AM) *

I don't think the stock idiot light wire will work with the 3.2

Will work just fine!

The stock idiot light wire is green/red. The 3.2L uses the same color coding for the oil idiot light, oil pressure gauge and oil temp gauge, so that should be easy to figure out.
The 3.2L has a dual sending unit with the oil idiot light wire and the oil pressure gauge wire. You'll know if you mixed the two up as one is just a switch (on/off - the idiot light) while the other has a range.

bye1.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.