Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve Covers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
It's not like anyone can see these when you "pop the hood" but what do you think of these valve covers? What do engine rebuilders like Jake use on high $$$ rebuilds?
914Sixer
Are you sure the 1st set are for type 4 motors? They look like 356 Twin Cam Carrera covers not type 4.
markb
I've been told in the past that it's really hard to get them to not leak.
Mark Henry
Why don't you just stuff your heads full of dog shit...it would do a better job and your engine would slim chance of living.

Can you guess my opinion on this one?

OEM
r_towle
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Aug 16 2008, 09:38 AM) *

It's not like anyone can see these when you "pop the hood" but what do you think of these valve covers? What do engine rebuilders like Jake use on high $$$ rebuilds?

where do you get the ones with the porsche logo on them?

Rich
tracks914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 16 2008, 07:17 AM) *

QUOTE(tracks914 @ Aug 16 2008, 09:38 AM) *

where do you get the ones with the porsche logo on them?

Rich

Type VI Covers on Ebay

Buy Now $285 smoke.gif
Mark Henry
Guy's on crack

orthobiz
First it was peanut butter on the body seals.
Now dog shit on the heads...
What next??????
lol

Paul
jasons
From what I've always understood.....

Factory steel with good bails are the best. Everything else is jewelry.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jasons @ Aug 16 2008, 09:27 AM) *

Factory steel with good bails are the best. Everything else is jewelry.

agree.gif

The bling ones leak. Always ...

Now, if you're the kind of guy who just wants to look at his engine, buy 'em. If you are the kind of guy who enjoys driving his car, keep the stock ones.

And here's a tip, completely free of charge, just like my opinion:

Install the stock covers with the VW logo upside down. Often times, when you snap the bails in place, the cover will push up just a bit and not seal right, so after you snapped the bail into place, grab the top of the cover and pull down on it to get it seated right. Use new gaskets.
bye1.gif Andy
r_towle
If you have ever tried to get the stock valve covers off and on a 76 2.0 liter with the stock HE's you might understand why these little puppies look like a better solution.

Rich
roadster fan
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 16 2008, 08:14 AM) *

Why don't you just stuff your heads full of dog shit...it would do a better job and your engine would slim chance of living.

Can you guess my opinion on this one?

OEM

av-943.gif
Elliot Cannon
Let's see now. Stuff my heads full of dog shit, or use the stock valve covers. Such an eloquent post deserves some serious thought. HMMM. OK I've decided to use the stock valve covers. I hope I made the right decision. av-943.gif
tracks914
OK now to find a good set of stock covers. Mine bead blasted and painted still look like crap with pitting from rust.
URY914
We have two small Pugs but they do shit everyday. If anyone that doesn't own a dog would like some of their shit, I'll send it to you.

Just trying to help......
TheCabinetmaker
Paul, you crack me up.
Dominic
I'm wondering if they got permission from Porsche to legally use their name on that repro valve cover?? confused24.gif I'm guessing they did not.....any thoughts?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 16 2008, 06:52 AM) *

Are you sure the 1st set are for type 4 motors? They look like 356 Twin Cam Carrera covers not type 4.

No, they don't. The Cap'n
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Dominic @ Aug 17 2008, 01:25 PM) *

I'm wondering if they got permission from Porsche to legally use their name on that repro valve cover?? confused24.gif I'm guessing they did not.....any thoughts?

My guess is they figured "Dog Shit" wouldn't sell many covers. biggrin.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Aug 16 2008, 09:39 AM) *

First it was peanut butter on the body seals.
Now dog shit on the heads...
What next??????
lol

Paul

I don't recommend the dog shit on the heads, but if you are inclined - peanut butter on the side window seal with peach preserves on the top seals allows you to have a great snack on the way into the 914! You'll have to brush away the flies, or eat them - great source of protein!
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.