Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bearing project done, now left front caliper sticks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
klikkid3
Well projects done, all put back together bleed the brakes, felt much better than before the project, go to rotate the p-side wheel and the pad is sticking, it wasnt doing that and hour before when I took the caliper off. The chiltons guide says the fronts are auto adjusting, am I supposed to be doing something to help that along? Is the spacing adjustable, Im anxious to get back on the road.
Dr Evil
How are your rubber brake hoses? Did the brakes stick before?
klikkid3
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 16 2008, 12:34 PM) *

How are your rubber brake hoses? Did the brakes stick before?
No sticking at all before I took the caliper off the first time, put them back on calipers were tight, bleed the system, great pedal response but now the caliper is stuck, I wonder if I should pull it off and manually depress the caliper.
VaccaRabite
I think that if you actually have good pressure in your hydrolics now, it might just seem like the fronts are sticking. The fronts, as I understand them, require the wheel to be rolling in order to let go of the rotor. If you had poor pressure in the lines before, and good pressure now, you will have more force left over once the pedal is released.

I think its just the way the fronts work, and weird if you are used to self adjusting brakes.

Zach
Dr Evil
The caliper should have been compressed when you installed the new pads. Did you install the spring plates between the pads on the top? Those are there to push the pads apart. Also, it is a good idea to clean up your pins for the pads.
I asked about the rubber hoses because when they fail they act like a check valve allowing your brakes to compress, but not to release.
Dr. Roger
from your wheel bearing thread

So got the bearngs in, I did the job late in the evening because it was much cooler outside and realized after I finished I forgot to replace the inner and outer bearing race and the passenger side. Am I asking for trouble with this? There was no play or strange noises when I rotated the wheel.

Um, yes. Not replacing the races can be a very big problem. Especially in your case where the bearing were complete toast. Bearings cooked means races cooked. And they should be swapped out as a set anyways.

I can't even imaging what those races look like given the bearing pics you showed us.

What I'm saying is it may not be your calipers that is keeping your wheels from turning..... I'd love to see a close up of the races and the spindle on the passenger side if possible.

We love pics. happy11.gif biggrin.gif
klikkid3
Oh yeah I took you guys seriously win you said change the races so I went back and did the P-side over again, thats when the trouble started with the caliper sticking. Will it harm the caliper if I pull the pads and manually compress them?
r_towle
calipers could be tight if you bled the brakes and did not drive the car.
The way these work is really simple.
The vibration from the non perfect rotor hits the pads and bends them away from the rotor over the first few rotations...

So if you have not driven, its probably fine like Zach was saying.

Go for a ride, see if the brakes still stick.
Rich
klikkid3
You were right, driving was the fix. You guys are awesome. Now I need beer.gif to celebrate. Thanks to everyone who helped.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.