Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm done
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
redshift
I'm over 914s, after 23 years, and 12 cars. #12 has been nothing but trouble, and piles of wasted cash.

I enjoy hanging out with you guys, I wish it were 1987, there were good cars back then.

Good luck in all your endeavors, and all be safe, people care about you.

smile.gif

Miles
Qarl
What! Will you still post cryptic messages here for us to laugh at you?
Aaron Cox
sad.gif ill miss you man.... sad.gif
URY914
Say it ain't so!

Have you lost your mind?

Stop that crazy talk, man. Take another hit and come back tomorrow.

Paul
Andyrew
If you leave, you will be missed by all.

sad.gif

Are you keeping the car? or whats causing this goodbye??

Andrew
redshift
heh, if I leave, doesn't make you guys any less fun.

Ad is listed, if you see someone who needs a $10k discount on heartache, give me a ring.

Email me if you feel the need for senseless babble. laugh.gif

M
Andyrew
Ya know, now that your selling the car.. Now would be a good time to show pics of it..

wink.gif

why?

Andrew
rick 918-S
You'll hang here anyway. You know how I know? Cause I surf other sites looking for real car guys that are real people. I have yet to find a site (except the E12 BMW guys) where everyone is welcome and you feel like you know everyone. You'll surf around for a while then you'll be back....
Bruce Allert
Miles, I'll trade ya Punkin straight across jest ta keep ya here sad.gif
Nuthin wrong with 'm... Punkin would be gud to ya.
C'mon buddy, ya can't jest give up drunk.gif

Don't make me come out there & give ya a noogie!

............b cool_shades.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
My question is "why?".

Even if you're tired of spending $$$ and sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif , why not get a solid driver and simply enjoy it? You now, there's nothing wrong with actually enjoying the car for what it was intended for...driving!

You can still hang out here because all those years of experience are invaluable to beginners. A passing on of skills/knowledge, if you will.

Wait a sec...did you find a woman and she told you the cars had to go? laugh.gif
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Jan 31 2004, 11:27 PM)

Wait a sec...did you find a woman and she told you the cars had to go? laugh.gif

me thinks yer on'ta sumpin Toby laugh.gif

.......b
redshift
heh, I have only recently become my own mechanic, and couldn't have made it the last 6 months without you guys. It all started with an ad in the Atlanta Constitution, for a 75 Malaga Red 2.0. I got 75k trouble-free miles out of that one, on top of the 50k already on her.

I can't get 500 miles on this car without major hassle, cash, and disappointment. It's unreal how much of my time AWAY from the club is consumed by the crap related to it.

I am getting back to where I belong, in my life: Music; teaching, playing, producing, and instrument building. I could use all the positive energy that creates, to be happy again.

I've been overtly stressed out by this car, as an experience, I'm not a cheap-assed kid, with nothing but time, like Aaron. smile.gif

No doubt, I will be around when I can be, you guys are pure gold, genuine, and I think about this place all day, and try never to bring it up in conversation.. wink.gif it's hard not ta do dat..

I should have taken my money, got on a plane, and flown to California to buy a nice one, I just thought I could totally trust the seller, when I made the deposit..

The best one I ever had.... FUCK YOU.

I messed up the ad.. heh..

M
GWN7
Sorry to hear you have come to this decision. I'm going to miss you dude, so drop by and poke us with a stick once in awhile.

When you get to be president, I get to be ambasador to Canada. Save on $$ moving someone up here. laugh.gif

VOTE MILES
hargray2
Wish I had some money!
!!!!!!DAMN!!!!!!
DNHunt
Miles

I feel like the world's spinning the wrong way. I wake up come to the computer for my morning dose and the first thread is this one. What a bad omen.

I know you gotta do what you think is best, but I'm really hoping you'll change your mind. If you don't at least promise you'll drop by.

For sure they're money pits and they can be frustrating. They're not dependable and just when you think you got it something else comes up. I can think of a lot of reasons to get rid of mine but there are times in that car I feel pure joy, a physical feeling, like a child. As an adult that rare for me so i'll put up with all the crap and try to hide the credit card statements and hope I can have a few more magic moments.

That's my best pep talk, hope you change your mind

Dave
eresener
Miles,
I can relate to your decision... sometimes... I wish I had never gotten involved w/the "P" cars...then other times...like when I dirve in my 944 and feel like I'm 25 again...well you understand...the teener is a project for me...I already know it's going to be awhile before I drive it...but it's therapy...nothing else.

I do hope that you hang around and kick us in the ass once in a while... we need you to do it ...

best,
sawzall-smiley.gif
seanery
Hey Miles, I'll sell you whitey if you want it. Either before or after the 6 conversion, your choice.
rick 918-S
I'd offer to send you my Black Bitch but you don't want my kinda trouble.. laugh.gif She's mean and extremely high maintainance alien.gif
rhodyguy
miles, cover/tarp your car for 1 month. relax. don't throw anymore money at the car for awhile. things have a way of ironing themselves out. all will be good in time. get a haircut, and stop breaking the speed limit while smoking pot laugh.gif. i can't tell you how many times i almost packed it in and gave up with these stupid cars.

kevin
Jeroen
Miles, you wanker! Stop your whining and remove the ad NOW!!!

cheers,

Jeroen
Chris H.
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Feb 1 2004, 10:18 AM)
Miles, you wanker! Stop your whining and remove the ad NOW!!!

cheers,

Jeroen

Hmmmm... admins can remove any ads that are deemed offensive, right Jeroen? I AM OFFENDED AS HELL!!!!! GET IT OFF THERE!!!!!

Just kidding Miles. As many others have said I can relate to where you are at now. I got away from my first love air cooled VWs for the same reason 15 years ago. You got yourself a lemon and it's making the whole experience a bad trip.

So sell it if you want to. Then give it a little time and dive back in with one that you are more comfortable with. Find yourself a nice unmolested car and enjoy it. They ARE out there. My current car is the first one I just haven't had any major problems with. Took me a year to find it.

Good luck my man, and let me know if you need to borrow any sand for one last "port and polish". I have the Audi brand. Extra fine cut.
Carl
Jeez, how can this be? It's like when Calvin & Hobbs was canceled and it felt like somebody died. I still miss the little guy ... dance.gif

Take a break for a while and make your decision when it's top-off weather. Buying a car that runs would be a help, too.

Carl
mikester
Calvin wasn't "cancelled, Bill W. retired. It was a bad day but I wish him well.

Miles, you're an entertaining fella - best of luck - you're always welcome.

Gotta live your own though.

w00t.gif

I've been there - even put up an ad for a few minutes. Wife made me remove it - said I was nuts. Not exactly off the mark.
tat2dphreak
redshift, this better be a joke. you will be missed by all...

I give you 6 months before you do fly out to CA and get a good one! smile.gif these cars are like a drug for us, and I don't see you, of all people, kicking a 23 year/12 car habit just because 1 was a bad experience... I do sincerely hope you stay with us on the board though!

drunk.gif

PS: we need a smiley pouring out a bottle... "this is for the brothas that ain't wit us no mo!" just for this kind of sad occasion. and it is sad, because we are losing one of the best of our flock! Cheers Redshift!
Eric_Shea
You do not have permission to leave...Bitch! cool_shades.gif
nebreitling
miles, dude, you're making me really sad.
watsonrx13
Miles,

You can't go right now, I'm in the middle of 2 projects. The resurrection and the V8 conversion. Now that Brad is 'too busy' with his new company, who's going to help me with all of the problems I'll encounter?
redshift
It makes me pretty sad too, I never care about the money, until I have to drive it.

I just wish I had my last 2 liter back. I should have done that car.

It's my fault!

M
Eric_Shea
There's more nice 2.0's out there Wienerschnitzel!

Go to CA and get a decent car before we all have to take up a fund to keep your goofy ass here. It's not like you have a life or anything! w00t.gif
McMark
We'll set ya up with a payment plan. Start off buying a chassis roller here and we'll do the rust repair and paint it. Payment 1. Install seals and glass and suspension. Payment 2. Install new engine and interior. Payment 3.

No problem. Nice car made just the way you want it and brand new, no problems!!!!!!!!!

beerchug.gif

Then you just driving.gif
redshift
I already did that, and ended up here. See?

laugh.gif

I have ALOT of hostility towards a club member. I hope he's stewing.

The ad has been changed, since I figgered out how to do that, if you know anyone, let me know.. I would consider keeping the tub, but it wouldn't be a whole lot cheaper for the end guy.

M
J P Stein
This looks like a classic case of internet/914 burnout.
BTDT.

Throw a tarp over the car and your puter.
Go away (figurativly) for a couple weeks...if you can hold out that long.....

This is kinda like a soap opera....nuthin' really changes cept the characters. You can come back in your usual role of clown prince or sumthin' else, if you prefer......but, whining don't suit ya.
Joe Bob
Someone needs a long nap.... blink.gif
Korijo
... and a fatty blunt smoke.gif
fiid
If you are going to leave us for music - please post some MP3s so we can hear ya.

I will miss your witty lyric if you leave. Hope it works out for you.

l8r,

Fiid.
(also a musician, but not very good.)
Joe Bob
QUOTE(fiid @ Feb 1 2004, 08:23 PM)
Fiid.
(also a musician, but not very good.)

I spank a mean monkey..... mueba.gif
Howard
Miles,
We haven't met, but you're the guy that convinced me to paint my 73 2.0 'mellow yellow'.

I did, it came out great, and just spent the weekend at Willow Springs getting my learner's permit for POC. It was a terrific weekend, with a 914 (not mine, bunky) setting time of the day against some really exotic machinery. Pic's will follow.

You need some serious help, and we're here for you, so here's the deal. Fly yourself out to L.A. It's only $198 rt now. I'll put you up for a long weekend and you can take mellow up PCH to Big Sur and remove the cobwebs. Take one and call me in the morning.
Bruce Allert
Holy Cow Miles! Ya can't pass up a deal like that. There's an outpouring going on here Man, wub.gif doesn't that do something for ya? Jes' kaint stand t'lose one'a R flock... beerchug.gif

.......b
swood
I'm feeling...too veklempt to speak...go..talk amongst yourselves. wacko.gif

Miles is more than just our court jester, mascot and twisted big brother...he's

I'll get back to you on that.

I say a group buy of a running 914 for the big M! clap56.gif boldblue.gif Or ship his car to someone reputable here in the club (B?) (that he doesn't still have a vengeful grudge against) (unless it's B ) and we all chip in to have the bugs worked out and get his car tip top. Then we put Miles on a stinky Greyhound bus and bring him out here to drive it home. Hopefully he doesnt break down and ditch it and himself into the Grand Canyon.

Either way, we could all pat ourselves and each other on the back and say that we tried.
EdwardBlume
Life is full of challenges but you climb back in. The beauty of a 914 is that it requires your hands, your heart, and your wallet. Just like kids and a wife. Now I'm depressed as all hell..... My point is don't give up on yourself or anything you love. If you love 914s- keep the habit. As long as the road is out there for you, follow it.

Best,
R
redshift
You guys are crazier than I am, if not completely insane.. er than me... same thing?

Here's where most of my last 8 years has been wasted; music

My car is for sale, someone with more tools, and experience than I have needs it, I can't find the problem, and it's one of those times where the love is gone, and I know when I am beat!

smile.gif

Thanks for all the kind words, and offers, you guys are idiots... in case you din't know. cool_shades.gif

beerchug.gif

M
Qarl
So what have you done for Greg Williams... you're not listed in the band...

You're lying!
swood
I bet we're just losing him to the FiatClub.com board.

wavey.gif
redshift
Most of what you hear in the recordings, that isn't drums, or vocals is me. The band is the local thing, I left about a year ago, because I refused to do anything more forit, til it paid me something, and we just licensed 4 songs to Canadian TV, and a movie, so as soon as a dollar comes in, I'm good to go.

Greg's latest recording, Caterpillar, was mastered by Rodney Mills
Masterhouse (Gregg Allman, Elton John, Journey) in Duluth, Ga. The 10 new
songs were recorded and produced by guitarist Miles Hendrix (HBO, Cher) in
Florida and Georgia and Kevin Rose in Savannah, Georgia. Caterpillar will
include the songs Coming Apart, Monster Movie, Darkness Is A Big Wheel, Milk,
Revolver, Seeing Stars, Something There Is About You, Wishing, You Were In My
Dream, and Love Is Everything.. Order yours now...

M
Bruce Allert
I REALLY like Ride My Bike. Smooth lead Miles... Very Nice guitar work clap56.gif

..........b
redshift
Tanks Bwoose!

Flamer thru a '63 AC30! Woohoo! That's Shawn Mullins on B3.

M
ChrisReale
So, did ya bang Cher? unsure.gif
redshift
No... heh

Jees Cher, why the long face?

laugh.gif

Oh, it's just stretched?

M
zehrschnell914
Miles, I just have to throw in my $.02 here. My first 914 was a great car. Very dependable and lots of fun. That is until some idiot ran a light & T-boned it for me. I immediately went on a frantic (ask my wife) search for a replacement. She warned me that she didn't have a good feeling about this particular car (Whatever woman, I'm the expert here!). After paying decent money for the car and expecting another dependable driver, I spent $2600 in maintenance in just 6 months! None of this was upgrades either. I sold the car and swore off 914s forever.

10 years later, I was working for a tow company and a '73 2.0 was impounded. After it sat in our yard for a while and it became apparent that noone was going to pick it up, I sat in it (Angels singing). I closed the door, put my hands on the wheel and was hooked. I bought that car when it came up for auction and was back in the game. There is just something about these cars that will draw you back into the fold sooner or later.

I guess what I'm saying is that I understand the need to sell the car and not endure the headaches for a while. I do hope that you are fortunate enough to bump into another teener that ignites the fire again.

Good luck and drop by often.

Mike
Steve Thacker
Miles,
I have had a pretty good laugh over your direct approach antics and your uncanny ability to uplift my spirits, when I'm pissed and the workday isn't worth a shit. So I to know as yourself, on the pangs of 914 ownership. My wife thinks I'm frigging stupid to keep pouring money and time into a car that if sold, wouldn't bring back half of what I have in it. I'm sure she would welcome the silence in the garage. Instead she hears a half baked former Marine with a bad temper, cussing like a sailor. Many a time she has had to come in the garage to save the car from the effects of a big hammer. I have had many a problem in my very short four years, with these cars. I know you have had considerable more time in grade and know that you are tired of the problems. I'd like to suggest that you take the fellas up on their offers and reconsider. Get the tarp, cover the bitch up and take a deep breath. Take a break and when you damn well feel like it, step back up to the plate. I would bet that you will approach the car in a whole new light. OK,...I will set down and shut the hell up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.