Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Changing From Boge Strut to Bilsteins Insterts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dale 914
Okay,
I am still learning, be gentle.
I bought a nice used pair of green Bilstein strut inserts to replace my shot front struts. After taking out the exiting strut housing (4 stud), I realized the diameter of the Bilstein insert piston is larger than the old Boge(?) and I cannot resuse the threaded insert retention ring that screws into the strut housing.
What can I do?
Thanks
Dale unsure.gif
hcdmueller
Sorry but I have to ask. Are the Bilstein struts brand new? Did they come with the appropriate mounting parts? (threaded retention ring and such) Are the Bilstein strut inserts the right ones for the Boge struts? Pictures?
dale 914
QUOTE(hcdmueller @ Aug 17 2008, 04:36 PM) *

Sorry but I have to ask. Are the Bilstein struts brand new? Did they come with the appropriate mounting parts? (threaded retention ring and such) Are the Bilstein strut inserts the right ones for the Boge struts? Pictures?

The inserts are not new nor did they come with any hardware, I got 2 green Bilsteins in great condition that I purchased off 914World. I don't have any pics, sorry.
hwgunner
Bilstein makes an insert specifically for the boge strut housing. So the answer is No but you got the wrong inserts beerchug.gif .
SGB
Yeah, 'cept I think the inserts you got are correct. You just did not get the threaded strut cap. Bummer. Contact Bilstein?
dale 914
QUOTE(SGB @ Aug 17 2008, 09:25 PM) *

Yeah, 'cept I think the inserts you got are correct. You just did not get the threaded strut cap. Bummer. Contact Bilstein?

Yup, I am planning on calling Bilstein today.

Thanks.

Dale
dale 914
Spoke with Bilstein this am, I have the wrong strut insert - I need the Boge replacement size (the black, not the green). I have posted an add on the Classified if anyone has a set of the Boge Bilstein replacement for sale or I will trade out the Bilsteins I have for the correct set.
Thanks all.
Dale
dale 914
An update -
John at Bilstein here in Poway has been working it and found the correct gland nut, picked them up last night and the are the correct size! So, there is gland nut from Bilstein that allows the Green Bilstein insert to work in the black Boge strut housing!!!

Dale
736conver
Dale,

Can you post part numbers for future reference. Thanks
dale 914
Yes, part numbers, of course.
Bilstein gland nut part number is B4-B36-U242E2, this gland nut also has a built in rubber bumper or snubber. My Bilstein green strut insert part number is F4-P36-0112 HD.

Dale
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.